Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM

138 posts, read 512,278 times

Advertisements

There seems to be so many people quick to downgrade MS, including the media, which really distorts what MS is really like, and it ignores many facts about the contributions to this country that MS has made.

Most people want to learn and be enlightened, therefore, to help educate all people that have questions about MS, start by going to a site that truly depicts The Magnolia State in all its deserved glory. You will find facts about the state that I'm certain you will find surprising and interesting.

Of course, there is nothing like first hand information from posters, and nothing is better than a personal visit, but rather than believe all you hear and see on TV or read in the media, at least start out with the facts.

THIS SITE SHOULD BE RECOMMENDED READING FOR ALL MISSISSIPPIAN'S AND ANYONE ONE ELSE THAT WANTS TO BE ENLIGHTENED ON THE SUBJECT.

GO TO...MISSISSIPPIBELIEVEIT.COM.

Thank you...and enjoy MS, theres really nothing else quite like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,744 times
That nice to know i'll look there now. My boy friend moved back there and i have never been. but this next summer i'm going so i hope it's as wonderful as you say.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 23,945 times
yes there really isn't anything like it

Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
MS has its own unique qualities but the only thing that worries me is the amount of poverty and run down parts that I saw.

Will it get better or worse?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
According to the census quick facts website, Mississippi has about 12 people in poverty per square mile. By comparison, just picking a couple of other states randomly, Massachusetts has about 81 people in poverty per square mile and Michigan about 25 people in poverty per square mile. And these days in Mississippi, driving down rural highways generally what you find is not so much poverty but working class people (e.g. mobile homes and modest houses dotting the countryside). By historical standards, it's much better. We need another economic boom for a good 20 years to propel the next generation to a higher level of employment, education and skills.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:36 PM

9 posts, read 34,162 times
Thanks for an excellent post!! I grew up in MS and moved away about 2 years ago. I absolutely hate the look of disgust on people's faces when I tell them I am from Mississippi! Of course then you have to answer the ridiculous, uneducated questions like "did you have shoes" and "did you walk to school".......REALLY?? Sadly, people are so judgmental about a state they have likely never visited. They don't know what they're missing

Old 11-28-2009, 04:54 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
According to the census quick facts website, Mississippi has about 12 people in poverty per square mile. By comparison, just picking a couple of other states randomly, Massachusetts has about 81 people in poverty per square mile and Michigan about 25 people in poverty per square mile. And these days in Mississippi, driving down rural highways generally what you find is not so much poverty but working class people (e.g. mobile homes and modest houses dotting the countryside). By historical standards, it's much better. We need another economic boom for a good 20 years to propel the next generation to a higher level of employment, education and skills.
Thanks for the info

Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
You might want to keep it a secret! Here in North Carolina, and I also witnessed it in Montana, the desireability of a place can ruin it, once the word get's out!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Visited the site, now I feel ready to get out there as fast as I can.

Funny enough I was already a Conway Twitty and Charley Pride fan before this lol.

I should also mention that the nicest and most warm people I ever met were from MS, in a few years I might make tracks out there.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Those staistics are meaningless ( using # of people in poverty per square mile)

When someone uses a statistic like that, they should also state the # of people per square mile who are NOT in poverty.

Using statistics the way you do, tells me you are trying to hide something by only giving partial statistics.

It raises more suspicions than it does to convince people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi