Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:19 PM

39 posts, read 112,942 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to explore small town Mississippi for a first hand perspective on true Southern life. I'm interested in hearing from any lifelong natives. I'm primarily interested in specific places in the most rural areas that would enlighten me most on what life is like versus the stereotypes I hear about elsewhere in the country.

I'm also interested in any advice regarding etiquette. My impression is that southerners tend to be pretty welcoming as long as you don't come in and try to change change their way of life or ask the old tired questions about race issues or indoor plumbing questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
I am a Delta native. The population in this Mississippi region has declined since World War Two. Nearly all of the houses have indoor plumbing, but not all of it works! Talk about what you want, but don't always expect a lively debate.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,585,412 times
To get a feel for life in Mississippi, visit not only the delta, but all of the regions of the state. Life in the delta is drastically different for many people living there than it would be for persons living in other areas. Yes, there are wealthy people living in the delta, but poverty is far greater there than it is in other areas.

Oxford is a must visit. So is Clarksdale, Jackson, Biloxi/Gulfport, Tupelo, Southaven/Olive Branch, Hattiesburg, and Vicksburg or Natchez.

Clarksdale will give you a feel for life in most of the delta, its culture and musical heritage.

Oxford is a charming college town with a historic square, arts, and a small but decent music scene.

Tupelo is a nice growing small city that has been named "All American City" four times.

Jackson and Southaven for city/suburban life.

Hattiesburg for many of the same reasons as Oxford.

Biloxi/Gulfport for coastal Mississippi living.

Natchez or Vicksburg for life along the Mississippi River.

I have tried to include towns or cities in each region. The delta, the hills, North, Central, South, and Coastal.

Hope it helps.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM

601 posts, read 1,076,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
I'm looking to explore small town Mississippi for a first hand perspective on true Southern life. I'm interested in hearing from any lifelong natives. I'm primarily interested in specific places in the most rural areas that would enlighten me most on what life is like versus the stereotypes I hear about elsewhere in the country.

I'm also interested in any advice regarding etiquette. My impression is that southerners tend to be pretty welcoming as long as you don't come in and try to change change their way of life or ask the old tired questions about race issues or indoor plumbing questions.
The Delta is definitely an experience, so much history there, I'm proud to be from the Delta.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 17,270 times
As the OP mentioned what you want is impossible to find in one spot; you should visit the hills as well as the delta and all of the regions of the state.

If you're looking for blues music, read about and follow the Blues Trail Markers and the timing of the various music festivals. Not just blues festivals but fishing, balloon, watermelon and other types of festivals where local musicians are providing the entertainment.

Oxford has a different "vibe" from other places and the square is worth a visit. If you have time, visit Taylor, Water Valley, Grenada Lake and other spots within a 50 mile radius for musical entertainment, food and art. Visit Taylor Grocery, the BTC Grocery and Crawdad Hole in Water Valley the New Orleans Bistro in Grenada for good food at reasonable prices. All very casual and laid back.

Jackson (IMHO) is just a larger town with more crime and traffic. The Madison area is nice but some OP's indicate that the residents are snobbish and unfriendly...I can't say.

If you're looking to "step back in time" Vicksburg, Natchez, parts of Greenwood and Carrollton are good stops. In Greenwood, the Crystal Grill and Delta Bistro are good places to eat for a reasonable price and the Cottonlandia (?) museum has some interesting exhibits.

I know I'm leaving out a lot but that will get you started.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,111,304 times
I think we have to be candid regarding people's "way of life" in the South. If you compare rural and urban areas of the South to anywhere else in the nation, adjusting for cost of living and comparing by race and ethnicity, the income level in Mississippi is virtually identical to almost anywhere else in America. It's true; all you have to do is check out "USA incomes" website which has data by state, by county, and by race and ethnicity, which enables you to compare data to areas of similar urban or rural populations across the country.

Last year, the Census took poverty rates and adjusted them by cost of living by state, and Mississippi's poverty rate came out exactly equal to the national average. The worst state was California.

So if you're looking for way of life, talk to employees at Toyota, Nissan or Rolls Royce. Talk to people at major medical centers in Jackson, Tupelo, and Southaven. Talk to teachers at colleges and universities. Talk to law enforcement, doctors, lawyers, and people working at Wal-Mart. Talk to people in sales, in retail or in banking.

So what is truly different? It depends on what you are comparing. Anyone who has spent time in the Northeast (e.g. Connecticut, New Jersey) or places like DC, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc., immediately recognizes how fortunate we are in Mississippi in terms of the lack of traffic. Also, Mississippi is not transient. Most people have deep roots in the state, but certainly not everyone. So people tend to have a lot of friends and know a lot of people.

In Mississippi virtually everyone goes to church and genuinely loves and adores their church and church family. Most people are politically conservative, meaning that they believe people should be encouraged to do the right thing and not be enabled - by welfare, weak law enforcement, and the like.

And Mississippians tend to be incredibly gregarious. That separates them from hurried urbanites in the Northeast and West Coast and the more reserved (but extremely kind) Midwesterners.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM

49 posts, read 86,032 times
West Point is a quintessential Mississippi town. Nearby is the beautiful Waverly Plantation

Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post

A couple of years ago my girlfriend and I drove up to Calico Rock, Arkansas and along the way to the cabin that we rented she kept saying that she saw outhouses. My girlfriend at the time had only lived in the South for a few years and most of that was in North Carolina (triad) and greater NOLa. She grew up in the pacific Northwest.

Anyway, she kept saying that these extremely rural Arkansas houses we passed had outhouses. I told her that those were sheds or the places where you keep your lawnmowers and hoes and shovels and stuff.

When we got to the cabin, she wanted to go ask the owner if people in the surrounding areas used outhouses. I told her that this was totally insensitive and insulting to ask some one -- that people in the South get this crap all of the time and they sick of it. She insisted that what she saw were outhouses, but I'm sure they were merely outbuildings and stuff. She never asked the owner and I'm glad she didn't because he'd probably have been pist.

Southerners tend to be welcoming as long as you 1.) are Christian, 2.) love sports, and are fans of local teams like the Braves, Saints, Hawks, Falcons, Cowboys, etc. or local college/high school teams, 3.) love guns and like to shoot them especially at people and deer, 4.) are Republican, 5.) avoid controversial subjects and topics, and 6.) have lots of money and are willing to spend it.

The most egregious faux paus outsiders make is asking southerners how long they've had air-conditioning, and indoor plumbing, and shoes. If you go up to a typical white Mississippian and claim Barack Obama is a good president, then those are words that will get you ostracized very quickly. Supposedly "hospitable" Mississippi southerners will then turn on you and give you the silent treatment.

You better not tell anyone that Buddhism, etc. is on par with Christianity either because those are fightin' words.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
If you compare rural and urban areas of the South to anywhere else in the nation, adjusting for cost of living and comparing by race and ethnicity, the income level in Mississippi is virtually identical to almost anywhere else in America. It's true; all you have to do is check out "USA incomes" website which has data by state, by county, and by race and ethnicity, which enables you to compare data to areas of similar urban or rural populations across the country.

Last year, the Census took poverty rates and adjusted them by cost of living by state, and Mississippi's poverty rate came out exactly equal to the national average. The worst state was California.

So if you're looking for way of life, talk to employees at Toyota, Nissan or Rolls Royce. Talk to people at major medical centers in Jackson, Tupelo, and Southaven. Talk to teachers at colleges and universities. Talk to law enforcement, doctors, lawyers, and people working at Wal-Mart. Talk to people in sales, in retail or in banking.
Every time I'm in Mississippi I'm struck by the extremes--the extremely wealthy and the extremely impoverished--something that's concealed in statistics. It's a stark contrast like hot and cold air mixing rapidly. The gap between the rich and poor is quite vast in Mississippi and I think that makes the state rather unique regardless of what the stats indicate.

I figured I'd reply to your post since I'm a college instructor and I specialize in southern history and culture.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM

39 posts, read 112,942 times
Well, I'm happy to report that I'm back home from a trip to your wonderful state. I drove through the northern part of the state, through Corinth and then to Tupelo which I found to be a very nice, clean city. For anyone who is looking to visit Mississippi and get a feel for the culture and vibe, I highly recommend a trip to Tupelo as it's a good representation of what Mississippi ist truly about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi