Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So... Being a liberal atheist in Mississippi makes my stomach churn whenever I see someone like Chris McDaniel running for office. Someone who runs on a platform of injecting prayer into school and not being willing to negotiate in Washington frightens me. So much so, in fact, that despite my severe distaste for Thad Cochran and his NRA ratings (amongst other things) I believe him to be the lesser of two evils. I will go to the polls on Tuesday to throw a vote in Cochran's direction, only because I'm more comfortable with his status quo than the vile uncertainty McDaniel has to offer me. I highly encourage any other liberals, atheists, or anyone else (is there anyone else at all in Mississippi like me?) who feels the same to vote for Cochran on Tuesday.
I've got several friends and some relatives who are Yellow Dog Dems and they are all voting for Cochran. Mostly, they are thinking that Cochran will be easy for a Dem to beat, but I know the Dem running, and he ain't gonna win no matter what.

Bad news:
I changed my mind. I'm voting for McDaniels.
I don't care either way about prayer; right to life is not an issue with me; and Mississippi is a solid 2nd Amendment believer. So, none of those issues mean anything to me. Know what did it?
Common Core.
I don't think the Federal Government has any business in the education business. None. I'm in favor of closing the Department of Education. We went to the moon without it (est about 1985) and have gone downhill since it was formed. Now, I find that Common Core is owned by a private company and is patented! Not only that, but some of the groups who "studied" it had, as their members, people who owned the testing agencies.
Too much for me. And McDaniels is the most likely person to rid Mississippi of Common Core.
And I'll just have to live with him being a trial lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM

78 posts, read 95,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Too much for me. And McDaniels is the most likely person to rid Mississippi of Common Core.
And I'll just have to live with him being a trial lawyer.
Ummmm.... sorry to break the news, but McDaniel can do NOTHING to "rid Mississippi of Common Core". That is something that would be up to the state legislature and the governor. Several states have pulled out of it; several others never were a part.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrobert01 View Post
Ummmm.... sorry to break the news, but McDaniel can do NOTHING to "rid Mississippi of Common Core". That is something that would be up to the state legislature and the governor. Several states have pulled out of it; several others never were a part.
(Oh, God! He actually started a post with "Ummmmm...)

Senator Cochran actively supported Obama's Race to the Top initiative, which includes the adoption of Common Core. Closing the U.S. Department of Education (we already have 51 of them) is very high on my list of priorities and I have no faith that Cochran will move in that direction.

And in July of 2013, McDaniels issued a press release criticizing the Common Core standards and urging the Legislature to proceed with caution before moving ahead to fully implement them. That's the attitude and foresight I want in Washington.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Whatever your decision, make sure you vote TODAY!!!!

Voting Records:
Thad Cochran's Political Summary - Project Vote Smart

Chris McDaniel's Political Summary - Project Vote Smart

Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM

78 posts, read 95,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
(Oh, God! He actually started a post with "Ummmmm...)
Yes, I did. I tend to do that when people make unsupportable statements. You made one.

Thankfully, Mississippians did the right thing and sent McDaniel packing, along with his tea party handlers and their $12 million in outside money

Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Apparently the conservatives over at freerepublic are not happy with you guys. Might want to check out the comments at this thread. They think Thad won because he solicited Democrat votes.

You Still Calling Yourself A Republican? (VANITY)

Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 AM

51 posts, read 71,210 times
Wow...Mississippi voted for sanity. Who'd uh thunk it?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Apparently the conservatives over at freerepublic are not happy with you guys. Might want to check out the comments at this thread. They think Thad won because he solicited Democrat votes.

You Still Calling Yourself A Republican? (VANITY)
Yeah, I figure this is ol' Thad's last hurrah. The fact that he appealed to his entire constituency (i.e., the entire state, which included the [gasp] moderates [shudder]) will not be forgiven by the extreme right. The next five years will be filled with preparatory rhetoric and Cochran bashing. Anything he does will be wrong... if he votes conservative it will be called pandering or an apology that was too late. If he dares to actually do his job to keep the government functioning, which requires he work with the entire government, including the people on the other side, then he's obviously a traitor to the conservative cause. He will either see the writing on the wall and decline to run next election, or he will be beaten in the primary by someone who panders to the extreme right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben A. Roundawurld View Post
Wow...Mississippi voted for sanity. Who'd uh thunk it?
It happens quite often... in spite of how the media portrays the state, when it comes down to the wire the voters usually (not always) do the right thing. Remember the "personhood" amendment?

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 06-25-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Apparently the conservatives over at freerepublic are not happy with you guys. Might want to check out the comments at this thread. They think Thad won because he solicited Democrat votes........
There is little doubt. When you look at the Hinds County returns (Jackson) you find Cochran won by a huge majority. And those are all Democrats who will then vote for the Democratic candidate in the general election.

It won't matter much, I don't think. Democrats these days are about as popular as Republicans were in 2008, which puts them pretty low on the totem pole. And I don't think Travis Childers (Democratic candidate) is much of a candidate.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I saw an interview in the local news last night of a black woman who is a Democrat and went to vote for Thad. She stated that she had never voted Republican before, but she was this time because she didn't want McDaniels to represent her. As long as their votes were legal, they didn't vote Democratic in the primary, I don't see the problem. I may be Republican, but if I liked the Democratic candidate better then I would vote that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi