Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times

Advertisements

...Gee Gee and Stewart Partridge, that is. That makes this much more important than a story about mere musicians, since Stewart wuz uh Fuhbawh Baweh. And Fuhbawh Bawehz are the most important class of beings in The Universe, as Understood by Mississippians. They can do no wrong.

Gee Gee is Stewart's mom, and a big banker. Stewart was allegedly paid MILLIONS in commissions, as a 'recruiter' of "investors" for the Timber Ponzi Scheme. People knew they could trust him, of course, because, "He blehed Fubawh. He uh good baweh!" https://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/20...s-stewart.html

I was reading about another Jackson Metro Football Mom, who used to send her son out into the world, each morning, with the question, "Are you going to be a leader or a loser, today?" https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...inal/93867212/ That particular story didn't turn out so well. Reading that article, it seemed to me, that a boy brought up with such a worldview and imperative, would have to do whatever it took, to become a "winner", give up and embrace loserhood, or create a third option: Cease to Exist.

But in the case of Gee Gee and Stewart, the son seems to have done that first thing. He did whatever it took, to be a "leader" - a "winner".

Don't miss Kingfish's 30 other articles on this $164-million-Dollar Ponzi Scheme. Too, many of the comments are extremely useful. Among the usual ramblings by deranged goobers, you'll find information and opinions anonymously posted by movers, shakers, influence peddlers, power-brokers, centimillionaires, and near-billionaires (all bored-out-of-their minds, and spoiling for something to do). These people ring each other up, from across their lake in fabled Eastover (https://www.eastoverneighborhood.com/), or from their Liechtenstein-sized estates around posh little Madison (https://goo.gl/images/hrMhws), when they recognize each-other's anonymous "work" on Kingfish. "Nobody in this town would phrase it like that - except YOU, Dahling..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
GG, I was hoping someone would start a topic on this. It's very interesting, my favorite comments are about how the perpetrator is not very polished, yet so many fell for his shenanigans.

BTW, I can also narrow down some of the anonymous commentators, including you!

Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I can't get past the name Gee Gee. Who does that? I mean, we all call Grandview Gloria, GG. But that's because we can neither type nor spell. So we just punch the "G" key a couple of times, knowing our brothers and sisters will figure out what we mean.
Could it be Gee Gee's mother actually meant GG? It's possible. But it's also possible that Gee Gee's mother wanted to call her Gigi, but didn't know how to spell it.
It's fuhbawl, you know.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I can't get past the name Gee Gee. Who does that? I mean, we all call Grandview Gloria, GG. But that's because we can neither type nor spell. So we just punch the "G" key a couple of times, knowing our brothers and sisters will figure out what we mean.
Could it be Gee Gee's mother actually meant GG? It's possible. But it's also possible that Gee Gee's mother wanted to call her Gigi, but didn't know how to spell it.
It's fuhbawl, you know.
Thanks for spelling 'Gigi' for me. I'd heard the name of that movie, before, but only remembered it vaguely. So now, I can dial my crystal ball back to 1958, where I see a girl named Heiferleine, somewhere in rural Mississippi, being helped into the back of a pickup truck. The truck is headed to drive-in theater in Pontotoc, or Ackerman, or Carthage... somewhere like that... And the movie is Gigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3XoLoQE7Ig Maybe it's all that wonderful music, or maybe it's her date's Old Spice cologne, but Heiferleine feels herself being carried away by the moment, right there in the back of that pickup truck, and nine months later, a bundle of joy arrives. Being as the girls in her family all have Frenchy names, and being as the movie played such a vital role in the baby's creation, Heiferleine decides to name the infant girl 'Gigi'.

But the baby's grammaw, Opalette, takes one look at the name, as written, and exclaims, "Giggy?" Whut kinda name is "Giggy"?

"No, Grammama! They prounounces it "Gee Gee"!"

"Well, then, WRITE IT OUT, 'Gee Gee'. Elsewise, that girl is gonna be "Giggy", til' her dyin' day." Folks gon' be thankin' 'bout giggin' frogs, whenever they see her walkin' up thuh road."

And so, as revealed through the vapors within my crystal ball, the name came to be written, 'Gee Gee'.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
I am visioning somewhere in rural Mississippi an urbane, handsome, and cultivated young man rhapsodizing about Giggy. "Oh Giggy! When did your sparkle turn to fire? And your warmth become desire? Oh what miracle has made you they way your are? Oh Giggy! Giggy! Giggy! Oh no! I was mad not to have seen the change in you. Oh Giggy!" Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2ZxP6nSbA

Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
See, that's what got them all screwed up.
In the movie, it was usually pronounced "Zhee-Zhee" and Southern Belles of 1958, thinking the actor had a speech defect, could only think of one way to spell it, in spite of the fact that it was spelled out correctly for them on the marquee.

FWIW: I wondered if "Gigi" was still available on one of the movie services, and it appears not. I did find, however, that Leslie Caron is alive and well and even had a small part in "Chocolat", a movie that pretends to be about a chocolate shop but really isn't. It's hard for fuhbawl players to understand things like that.
Anyway, we enjoyed "Chocolat". Again.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
GG, I was hoping someone would start a topic on this. It's very interesting, my favorite comments are about how the perpetrator is not very polished, yet so many fell for his shenanigans.

BTW, I can also narrow down some of the anonymous commentators, including you!
Sometimes it's me on Kingfish, although I mostly forget to check his blog. But remember, most of our "Pod" (in the way that whales travel in pods) is still in Mississippi, and we've basically functioned as an extended family, since the early Eighties. We think and write alike. Our children listened to the same foreign language tapes, while being carpooled. They were raised almost collectively, and had their formal education supplemented in the same study groups (hosted by the adults in the "Pod"). I hear things, from outsiders, like, "You guys have your own insular little culture going, you know. I don't think you realize how many of the words you use are foreign, or that they ARE foreign, or even what languages they're part of - or that normal people don't talk about the same things you guys do, or have values even remotely like yours - except maybe a couple of Georgian Oligarchs living in London."

So, sometimes, the person on Kingfish may be part of "The Pod".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I am visioning somewhere in rural Mississippi an urbane, handsome, and cultivated young man rhapsodizing about Giggy. "Oh Giggy! When did your sparkle turn to fire? And your warmth become desire? Oh what miracle has made you they way your are? Oh Giggy! Giggy! Giggy! Oh no! I was mad not to have seen the change in you. Oh Giggy!" Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2ZxP6nSbA
Isn't Maurice Chevalier or Omar Sharif or Terry Thomas or whoever that is, totally DIVOON? Yes, I can see him dancing around that Frenchy/Neoclassical/Ole-South-Style Corinthian-columned FROG POND, in his Gauloises Blue suit (https://images.app.goo.gl/WeCPZQbPA8rkVXRFA), kvelling over "Giggy!".

And I must say that I admire the Costume Designer's attention to period detail. Because beneath that nauseatingly pastel Pack-o'-Cigs-Blue suit, Maurice (or Omar, or Terry) is quite obviously wearing period undergarments. Not particularly impressive - poor little guy - but authentic, nonetheless - and certainly better than the current 'Nullo Look' imposed upon menfolk in media.

Quote:
See, that's what got them all screwed up.
In the movie, it was usually pronounced "Zhee-Zhee" and Southern Belles of 1958, thinking the actor had a speech defect, could only think of one way to spell it, in spite of the fact that it was spelled out correctly for them on the marquee.

FWIW: I wondered if "Gigi" was still available on one of the movie services, and it appears not. I did find, however, that Leslie Caron is alive and well and even had a small part in "Chocolat", a movie that pretends to be about a chocolate shop but really isn't. It's hard for fuhbawl players to understand things like that.
Anyway, we enjoyed "Chocolat". Again.
I'm not sure that the womenfolk in Gee Gee's family counted as "Southern Belles". I think there were certain expectations implicit in the label, 'Belle' - of enculturation or social class or something - something Gee Gee's female relatives were possibly lacking.

I AM sure, though, that "Zhee-Zhee" and "Gee Gee" sounded exactly alike, to them. If someone played a recording of 'Zhee-Zhee' to them, they would confidently repeat it as "Gee Gee" - sure they'd said it exactly like what they'd just heard. And their "Gee Gee" was almost certainly pronounced, "Djuaee-Djuaee" (actually, there were surely more vowel sounds in those dipthongs than there are vowels in the alphabet).

But there may be, somewhere in the British Isles, a dialect, where "Zhee" sounds, to the locals, like "She". My husband's favorite lovesong (to him, about my being central to his existence), is "She Shine On" (pronounced "Zhee Zhine On"), by Apoptygma Berzerk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxOuquQfzk (how someone so hulking and powerful as him, can still think of himself as a "little guy", mystifies me. I certainly haven't had the luxury of being a "little girl" since I was about five. Song still makes us cry, though...)

Old 08-19-2019, 05:40 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
It's fuhbawl, you know.
"Fuhbawl"? I first thought it was "fur ball". What cats get. Now I am guessing it's Mississipian for "foot ball". Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi