Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM

398 posts, read 545,614 times

Advertisements

Great Post, Gloria!!

I don't mean anyone any evil, but it may be worthwhile to point out what they did in Wisconsin not so long ago.

Seems the people in Wis. got real tired of people relocating to Milwaukee to enjoy the great pickin's in Government Handouts. So...the Government changed the rules. They call it "Work Fare" and people who want to get a check have to show that they are seeking work or they don't get their check. Of course.....the hard-core folks soon found a loop-hole by complaining that they could not find a job that would cover child-care AND provide a meaningful salary. All the same, you would be amazed at how the rolls began to shrink.

I'm thinking that Miss. could do the same thing. Heres what will happen. The government will change the hand-out rules as I have pointed out and there will be a time with a BUNCH of sob-stories about starving children and people having to choose between medications and eating. Thats just the Media selling their thing. After about 6 months of the governemnt digging their heels in, what you are going to hear about is how neighborhoods are starting to thin-out. THATS when something very interesting is going to come to the surface.
Remember I said that the Media was making a big deal with all of the sob-stories? What will happen is that people who have been collecting rent of some of the grimiest pest-holes imaginable are going to start turning-up in the newspapers as defendents in Tax cases. Thats when you are going to get the names of the people who do the REAL moving and shaking behind the scenes. All those sob-stories get fed to the Media by property owners who don't give a DAMN about the community as long as they are collecting their rent checks each month.

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM

30 posts, read 167,075 times
I spent 18 years in Greenville and still have family there. Regrettably,the Delta is a miserable place and getting worse. I venture to say that anyone who disagrees has never lived in another part of the country.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM

513 posts, read 897,371 times
never lived elsewhere, but spent plenty of time elsewhere and i have to agree with you 100%!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM

24 posts, read 45,230 times
Born and raised there and also still have family there. It looks more and more rundown every time I go back to visit family. Did have some good times there back in the day, but don't look to ever move back.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,296 times
Default Greenville My Home

I was raised in Greenville Ms. I left in 1979 to attend college and have not resided their since. I love my hometown and pray to return one day to make a difference. I read all the negative stories about G'Ville and most of it is true, high crime, high drug usage and distribution. I can't help but believe I amongst many others can make a difference. In order to get industry back we must raise level of education first, remove apathy from the citizens, remove corrupted officials, and lastly pray to GOD for deliverance. I will be back to make a difference.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
There is an old saying: "Bloom where you're planted". I wonder how Greenville would be different if more of its best and brightest heeded that advice.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times
I hate to be Debbie Downer but it will never work. Once an area has succumbed to the system, it will never come back. Why? Because municipalities are built on the tax dollars of small businesses. Businesses leave an area because of crime and the economy. Most of Greenville is on welfare or retired. There are no resources for a renaissance. Give your money instead to small businesses in small towns like Greenville, that haven't gone under.... yet. Make sure what happens to it is not the same as what happened to Greenville. The Keatings were a wonderful positive asset to Greenville. Those days are gone forever. Sorry, but that's the way it rolls. Greenville = dead.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
I tried applying for a job there as a teacher because I was desperate, and Mississippi has a William Winter scholarship for anyone who will try to teach in a school district like Greenville that has difficulty placing qualified teachers. I am certified to teach three subjects in the state of Mississippi, and all of those subjects were listed on the state department of education website as having openings in that district. I thought that I surely would get an opening in one of my areas if there were three of them. When I arrived at the interview, I was given a trick question which had two answers. I gave a text book answer to the question and was chewed out for not being prepared. The assistant principal giving the interview shouted at me that I should be ashamed for not giving the correct answer and insisted that he loved the students at that high school and couldn't let just any unprepared soul like myself take those jobs. I perceived that they were being held by undereducated cronies of his, and that was over a year ago. Every time that I search the teacher vacancies at the Department of Education website now, I see that those three vacancies are still being announced.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnnette View Post
I tried applying for a job there as a teacher because I was desperate, and Mississippi has a William Winter scholarship for anyone who will try to teach in a school district like Greenville that has difficulty placing qualified teachers. I am certified to teach three subjects in the state of Mississippi, and all of those subjects were listed on the state department of education website as having openings in that district. I thought that I surely would get an opening in one of my areas if there were three of them. When I arrived at the interview, I was given a trick question which had two answers. I gave a text book answer to the question and was chewed out for not being prepared. The assistant principal giving the interview shouted at me that I should be ashamed for not giving the correct answer and insisted that he loved the students at that high school and couldn't let just any unprepared soul like myself take those jobs. I perceived that they were being held by undereducated cronies of his, and that was over a year ago. Every time that I search the teacher vacancies at the Department of Education website now, I see that those three vacancies are still being announced.
Unfortunate experience.
My white brother in law had a similar experience in Okolona. The black receptionist wouldn't even look at him and told him to put his resume on a table outside her glassed in office, and then slid the glass closed.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
One problem with Greenville is that the families who were traditionally civic-minded have either died or their descendants have moved away. Another is that most of the industries that moved into Greenville after World War Two have closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi