Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, i just needed a catchy subject line. For years, I have been researching Mississippi and would love to live either in the Oxford area, Hattiesburg area, or the Clarksdale area. From what I have read, as I have never been, is that Mississippi has the weather and the people that I want. Plus, they have the laid back lifestyle that seems so promising compared to the gloomy worn out chicago that I am used to.

I ask this question, with a silly tag line, because every time I tell someone about moving to Mississippi (even on message boards) they always respond how it is fat and they don't have any pretty girls like the big cities do. They bring up Mississippi's test scores. Surely, not all of Mississippi is like this. Right?

I'm not looking to hang out with rocket scientists. all i want is a few acres and a southern belle to enjoy the mississippi lifestyle with. misssissippi's low population, despite its' size, shouldn't deter young people from moving there. Right or Wrong?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
As someone who relocated here from the northeast I'll share my prospective. First, I'll address the fat issue. Statistically it is the fattest state in the country. Most of this is obeesity is among blacks however. I personally believe this is linked to poverty. Statistically Mississippi is also the poorest state in the country. The poor are more likely to eat McDonalds & box dinners as opposed to fresh food because of cost. Another thing to consider is that the "home cookin" that has been passed down through southen generations isn't the healthiest either. Items breaded, fried, and lots of bacon grease just aren't good for your figure. As for the stupidity the education system is terrible. This is largely due to extremely low teacher pay. I've heard some figures around 25k a year! I have also met many smart well educated people in MS though. There are
Moderator cut: language
everywhere and they would be dumb no matter who taught them. The stupidity is mostly a rural thing where the drop-out rate is like 50%. People are generally slower and more laid back. Hospitality is more prevelant with the exception of business. The business world is all about being in the right clique and knowing the right people. The good ole boy network does still exist. Socially, it is night and day compared to the northeast. People are much friendlier. I don't know much about Clarksdale or Oxford. Hattiesburg is a pretty good area. Being a college town there's a lot going on. The coast, (Harrison & Jackson counties), probably have the most going on, (economically), and the people are more laid back. It's not as political as Jackson either. I hope this helps, but until you spend time here it's hard to get a prospective.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-15-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
yeah, this year i went to miami and key west. instead of doing that next year, or paying for a similar vacation, I'm just going to fly to Jackson and then rent a car and drive around the whole state. I'll take a week off of work. I work for the Government right now but am studying to be a teacher. Crazy about the low pay...I have a decent background in sales so I can always fall back on that.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Some of the most beautiful women you will ever meet are in Mississippi. Especially Oxford/Ole Miss. I kid you not! The place is a young mans dream!!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM

138 posts, read 511,912 times
Double Ditto on the women!! Whoever told you the women in MS are ugly could not be more wrong. Ive been to every state except AK, and MS women by far are the most beautiful. Refined, dignified, mannered, smart...they dont make em any better than right here in MS!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
MS most beautiful people i have ever known. fat but caring.
i can get all the ugly i need right here
hatred of the south is so often nothing more than racial hatred cleverly hiding behind an invisible bush.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
It's not whats on the outside its whats in the inside that counts. Fat or not.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,107 times
I vacationed in Mississippi last summer by car and loved it there. The people were great, very friendly. Jackson is pretty depressed but Natchez is a happening destination, reminds me of New Orleans in an ambience kinda way but smaller. Hattiesburg would make a good retirement spot (shopping mall heaven), nice, good amenities, but not much to do for my taste. I'd love to return.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As someone who relocated here from the northeast I'll share my prospective. First, I'll address the fat issue. Statistically it is the fattest state in the country. Most of this is obeesity is among blacks however. I personally believe this is linked to poverty. Statistically Mississippi is also the poorest state in the country. The poor are more likely to eat McDonalds & box dinners as opposed to fresh food because of cost. Another thing to consider is that the "home cookin" that has been passed down through southen generations isn't the healthiest either. Items breaded, fried, and lots of bacon grease just aren't good for your figure. As for the stupidity the education system is terrible. This is largely due to extremely low teacher pay. I've heard some figures around 25k a year! I have also met many smart well educated people in MS though. There are
Moderator cut: language
everywhere and they would be dumb no matter who taught them. The stupidity is mostly a rural thing where the drop-out rate is like 50%. People are generally slower and more laid back. Hospitality is more prevelant with the exception of business. The business world is all about being in the right clique and knowing the right people. The good ole boy network does still exist. Socially, it is night and day compared to the northeast. People are much friendlier. I don't know much about Clarksdale or Oxford. Hattiesburg is a pretty good area. Being a college town there's a lot going on. The coast, (Harrison & Jackson counties), probably have the most going on, (economically), and the people are more laid back. It's not as political as Jackson either. I hope this helps, but until you spend time here it's hard to get a prospective.
The good old boy network is a bad thing. It makes it hard to do business.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Mississippi is home to many famous writers such as Richard Wright, Eudora Welty, William Faulkner, John Grisham., Tennessee Williams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi