Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:39 PM

58 posts, read 45,641 times

Advertisements

It does stay gray for quite a while, but if you keep busy it won't be that noticeable. If you're involved in activities - work, school, gym, outdoor activities, skiing, etc - it doesn't seem to weigh on most people. The only ones it seems to bother are those who stay inside watching tv all night or similar. It gets dark early in the winter but that happens everywhere. It's a dry cold, so it's not as bad as other places.

And yes there are a lot of outdoor activities around Missoula. Lolo National Forest is nearby, and a lot of people go up to Flathead National Forest. Both very beautiful and very wild. You'll have the mountains and big critters once you get out of town, not so much actually in Missoula itself. Lots of people live in the surrounding areas and it's cheaper out there too if you're looking for something with land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
The Bitterroot Valley pretty much has the same weather as Missoula.
iSN'T there a Bitterroot Lake? What kind of fishing is t here?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan551 View Post
It does stay gray for quite a while, but if you keep busy it won't be that noticeable. If you're involved in activities - work, school, gym, outdoor activities, skiing, etc - it doesn't seem to weigh on most people. The only ones it seems to bother are those who stay inside watching tv all night or similar. It gets dark early in the winter but that happens everywhere. It's a dry cold, so it's not as bad as other places.

And yes there are a lot of outdoor activities around Missoula. Lolo National Forest is nearby, and a lot of people go up to Flathead National Forest. Both very beautiful and very wild. You'll have the mountains and big critters once you get out of town, not so much actually in Missoula itself. Lots of people live in the surrounding areas and it's cheaper out there too if you're looking for something with land.
I don't like sun or temps much higher than 77. Even here it's too hot for me and not just that but there is too much sun here for me.
I do prefer cooler climates and less sun that is easier on the eyes. I can get more work done or chores around the house when its cool vs. when it's hot 80+ degrees. Warmer/hot temps slow me down and zap what energy I may have.

By the way what kind of big critters do you have there when you get out of town or in Lolo National Forest or Flathead National Forest.

Is there alot of fishing up there?

I would prefer to be living in the surrounding areas where rural and lower cost with a little land maybe 1-5 acres is all. The newer the house the better.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 PM

58 posts, read 45,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I don't like sun or temps much higher than 77. Even here it's too hot for me and not just that but there is too much sun here for me.
I do prefer cooler climates and less sun that is easier on the eyes. I can get more work done or chores around the house when its cool vs. when it's hot 80+ degrees. Warmer/hot temps slow me down and zap what energy I may have.

By the way what kind of big critters do you have there when you get out of town or in Lolo National Forest or Flathead National Forest.

Is there alot of fishing up there?

I would prefer to be living in the surrounding areas where rural and lower cost with a little land maybe 1-5 acres is all. The newer the house the better.
Sounds like the weather will be good for you. It will get warmer than 77 in the summer, but it's cool at night and summer doesn't last long.

Big critters in Lolo - I know there are bears (grizzly and black). You need to carry bear spray back there. Of course deer and maybe moose and elk. probably a lot more animals too. If you go up near Kalispell (Whitefish or Glacier Park) there are mountain lions, not in town though.

Yes there's a lot of fishing, either in lakes or rivers.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:11 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Most of the easy fishing near Missoula is in rivers. For lakes, drive 60-90 minutes or drive 30-60 then hike in a few miles or more to small ones. If you want to live on a lake or only have a short drive to some, Kalispell area is better for that.

The biggest lake you can drive to in Bitterroot Valley is Lake Como south of Hamilton. There is a Little Bitterroot Lake (not little imo) west of Kalispell.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-28-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 01:53 PM

140 posts, read 139,844 times
I just visited Missoula and found the weather there to be a lot like Western Washington. Nothing wrong with that but I did miss the craziness of Livingston. I had never been to a place where the weather changes so darn fast. Sun snowstorms and rain over and over again. You just never know what to expect in that place

Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM

23 posts, read 30,277 times
I love Missoula too, but winters for a long duration would never leave me in pink health. I would love visiting Missoula in summers. As Real Estate Pipeline is in Missoula, I keep on visiting there frequently and I always amazed by its natural beauty.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPeter View Post
I love Missoula too, but winters for a long duration would never leave me in pink health. I would love visiting Missoula in summers. As Real Estate Pipeline is in Missoula, I keep on visiting there frequently and I always amazed by its natural beauty.
In the summer, what is the average temp in Missoula?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Average high of mid 80s in July / August. Low 70s in June & September, but some might call them spring & fall. Average of 23 days over 90 annually.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Average high of mid 80s in July / August. Low 70s in June & September, but some might call them spring & fall. Average of 23 days over 90 annually.
How long are the winters and typical temps?

I prefer cooler weather and less sun.
Ideally 55-65 degrees is my comfort zone all year round.

I start burning up from 77+ degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula