Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times

Advertisements

I was looking through some of your post ... I was wondering where have you lived .. (IF you do not mind sharing)

And if you have lived other places why so many.. Military family or what?

Where was your fav place to live and less liked place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Not military. Restless soul probably. Short version is Chicago born, downstate IL for college then marriage and kids. Kids grew up and left, had 62 acres and new house full time job on top of outside full time job. Sold out, moved to Sarasota, FL. Husband had 4 vessel bypass and I got breast cancer. Being off work after mastectomy and during chemo wiped out our reserves at the same time insurance rates skyrocketed in FL. Researched many, many ciites in GA, TN, AL, NC, SC, and visited all of them. None spoke to us except maybe Huntsville AL. Next up on the visit list was Springfield, sold house before trip was made. Came anyway. Miss Sarasota, loved it, but can't afford it. Had new house, pool w/huge lanai, lived on water. Miss it all, but life is what it is, and we go on from there. Most of profits from sale went toward paying off medical bills. Looking to find another city that feels home. Found it in Sarasota, will find it again. Thanks for asking, I don't mind sharing info. Lower housing costs and overall city size attracted us here. I try to be honest with my posting of life in springfield though the eyes of a newcomer/outsider, but occasionally I come across a bit too strong, but I never want to offend anyone. I found this forum very informative when searching cities and local attitudes. Also helpful are newspaper blogs, and some of the bigger cities have internet recordings of their tv news. Even if not planning to live in that city it gives you an idea of the flavor of the area. And I can't stress enough research as much as you can first, visit, visit, visit before coming, and rent for a bit first because even if your chosen area is a good fit, there are still differences in one neighborhood, small town or even school district within the same city/town. I always try to go to all sections of the town, both "good" and "bad". It's all part of the same community. Visit the little mom and pops, the libraries, and believe it or not, Wal Mart. Everyone goes there, you will see the entire town there at some point and how they relate to you as a stranger and they to each other. Very telling sometimes. Thanks again for your interest in my continuing saga........

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Oh yeah, also researched and travelled to, places in ARK, MS, and rural FL. I love reading your requests for MO information and wonder what attracts you to MO. We have travelled over much of the surrounding area of Springfield. The area is quite beautiful and has everything from flat ground to very hilly hills, and of course the stunning lakes. Like many others, I am still job dependent so need to live within reasonable driving distance to Springfield. But retirement is close enough that it is a factor for us also. What's your story and what are you looking for here?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
Thank you -

I read some of your post and I thought wow that girl is everywhere! why why why ... lol

I live in Illinois now ..property taxes are high ..and political issues are going to raise them more! I live in a town where you have to be a name ... and the town is ran by names - so some of the things you said happens elsewhere .. that part I could care less about I do my job live quietly .. My hubby is one in a business where we can not even go out to dinner without someone coming to our table asking / wanting something - its beyond RUDE - (If someone is reading this and you need something from someones store and business hours are 8-5 do business then unless its an emergency!)

We originally wen to Missouri to look at a dairy farm in Ava and a few others. One of the farms we looked at we asked the Realtor to see if the family was willing to do the walk through - sorry Realtor did not know dairy farming and we wanted to hear this persons prospect. ............. nice couple ..very informative ...... Like many of us on here he had moved from Wisconsin to Illinois and ended in Missouri .. and loved it.. his wife was a nurse and she was just as sweet as can be ..she drove to Springfield to work. Well we were to go in buis. with the (DUMB) brother in law .........and said persons could not pull paper work out to save there lives .......... so figures and such he was giving my husband did not match up ......... after 3 trips talking to him ........... and trying to get a budget to present to the bank ........ I told my husband this is over .. Im done messing with your brother he isnt coming through hes LIER I CAN SMELL IT! ............. so .. my husband said oh hes having hard times etc etc........ took our tractor to him to use - he sold it to get out of debt! ..sold our implements too! ......... so this was about 3 years ago .... and last Christmas we get a call from said idiot who wants to live in our back yard - they lost everything the heard the machinery the farm they were living on..................
It took them living in a camper in my back yard for my husbands eyes to open up and stop BABYING his IDIOT brother! ........... so now

we take a step back look over the situation .......... whats next ..what do we want to do?

We know we do not like Illinois ........... We lived in Oklahoma for 1 year I hated it ........ maybe I was too young to enjoy it but .. no I hated it!! We have been to Virginia, Florida, Oklahoma, Illinois, Ohio........
Over all Missouri has a climate we can both deal with... the land is just something one must see... we had also went on vacation in Mo..other than the Ava time - we have been to Branson, Springfield, Osage Beach, Ava -
Branson and Ava were our favorites....
Ava had small town charm .. and I did not feel people were cold at all....... the gas station guy didn't stop talking long enough for me to say good day -- we went to the mom and pop shops .. and the chain places ..and Walmart does say alot about a place..........
Wisconsin's Walmart .. OMG I have never had that much help in any Walmart -
I am not a big town person .. I am more of a country girl who likes to see said neighbors at Walmart lol not watering the yard in the morning ...... I want to hear the woodpeckers, the owls, etc............so living out is my life style that I want.

Just walking into the Ozark region .......feels like We are coming home.

Thank you for sharing your stories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri