Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Don't miss Lambert's home of the throwed rolls
There are two schools of thought on Lamberts: 1) The view that the home of "throwed rolls" is not to be missed; and 2) My view, also known as the "correct view", which is that Lambert's is not only not the best place to eat in Southwest Mo., it isn't even the best place to eat on its own block. Grant's -directly across the street - has great homemade breads and they don't throw them at you.

There is something to the argument that one must experience Lambert's at least once. I suppose if waiting two hours outdoors in the hot sun for a chance to eat fried okra in an incredible din of bus loads and bus loads of tourists all talking (yelling?) at the top of their voice is the sort of experience you seek, then Lambert's is for you.

In all seriousness, clearly what they do must appeal to a lot of people - they must feed the equivalent of the entire county population each week, if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
There are two schools of thought on Lamberts: 1) The view that the home of "throwed rolls" is not to be missed; and 2) My view, also known as the "correct view", which is that Lambert's is not only not the best place to eat in Southwest Mo., it isn't even the best place to eat on its own block. Grant's -directly across the street - has great homemade breads and they don't throw them at you.

There is something to the argument that one must experience Lambert's at least once. I suppose if waiting two hours outdoors in the hot sun for a chance to eat fried okra in an incredible din of bus loads and bus loads of tourists all talking (yelling?) at the top of their voice is the sort of experience you seek, then Lambert's is for you.

In all seriousness, clearly what they do must appeal to a lot of people - they must feed the equivalent of the entire county population each week, if not more.
lol I haven't tried Lambert's yet...I want to though, I have a couple of friends that rave about it. I'm sorry to hear that it's such a tourist trap though...I hate that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
As for Wink soda, of purchased it when in North and South Carolina, and will try get get some in a few weeks when we go down to welcome our 4th grand child into the world, in Beaufort SC.

I had stopped at the Galley Store in New Bern, NC and purchased some Wink. The issue with that store is, they are 110 miles off the beaten path, now that our daughter has moved to SC

I stopped last time down, at a store in Columbia SC and picked up all they had, and if I can remember the name of the store, I'll call ahead and make sure they still have some.

I think it was a Harris Teeter store?

Skip
Wow, very good to know! I have family in VA, close to the NC border; maybe they can look for it for me.

Quote:
Where in upstate NY were you? I'm from Amsterdam, NY myself.

Skip
I was not personally in upstate NY. I grew up in NJ and had family that went to upstate NY most winters, for ice fishing. They always brought back some Wink, and as I child I loved it. Haven't had it since then.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post

Lamberts ceased to be relevant 30 years ago.
They are just another tourist destination now.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 AM

396 posts, read 605,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lamberts ceased to be relevant 30 years ago.
They are just another tourist destination now.
While there is something to say about the excitement of having rolls thrown at me, although I question it. Are they throwing them at me, or am I just in the way, and they are throwing them away

As for loud, not for us.

Good food, Good atmosphere, Good Service, Fair Prices is all we ask for. And as for waiting 30 minutes or more to eat - NOT for me!

Skip

Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Hello folks. We will be traveling to Branson, MO from Maine, and want to get in as much as possible, making the trip more comfortable and enjoyable without feeling rushed.

My wife is hoping to get some yarn, material shopping in, any thoughts.

Are there any museums covering these hobbies (knitting and quilting)?

Any must see stops?

- Candy Stores
- Unique General Stores
- Places that sell Wink or Squirt Soda?
- Nice home style roadside restaurants?
- Gardens, Museums, Attractions

I know this is somewhat of a loaded question, but your thoughts in general will help. It;s a 9-12 day trip, and we'll be trying to enjoy the trip at a pace not rushed, but still seeing things, and getting back to Maine.

This is part of a trip from Maine to Branson, MO, down to LA, back via AR, TN, KT, PA …

Skip
Unique General store & museum: Crane's Country Store in Williamsburg, MO (Just off 1-70 between St. Louis & Columbia).

A store that's stood the test of time - CSMonitor.com

http://www.cranes-country-store.com/index.php

Attractions: Grant's Farm
http://www.grantsfarm.com/default.htm

Gardens:
Missouri Botanical Garden Missouri Botanical Garden

Powell Gardens: Powell Gardens : Road Trip For Your Soul (http://www.powellgardens.org/default.asp - broken link) there are even Old Missouri and Kansas Star quilt patterned gardens there.

Missouri Star Quilt Company is in Hamilton Missouri
Missouri Star Quilt Company - Everything Quilting Under One Roof

Link to Missouri Quilting Guilds:
Missouri Quilt Guilds - MO Quilting Guilds listed in alphabetical order by city

Kansas City has lovely art galleries, The Plaza shopping district, and much civil war era history with historical homes of The John Wornall House, The Alexander Majors Home (Pony Express).

Alexander Majors House

The John Wornall House Museum

The National WWI Memorial and Museum National World War I Museum - Home Page

Toy and Minature Museum
Toy & Miniature Museum of Kansas City

Independence Missouri Boasts the Truman Library/Museum and Home.
Harry S. Truman Library and Museum

Special George Caleb Bingham exhibit Steamboats to Steam Engines: George Caleb Bingham's Missouri, 1819-1879

Hermann Missouri
Historic Hermann, MO, Heart of Missouri Wine Country

Depending on when your trip is sceduled there is a civil war sesquisentenial re-enactment in Booneville, MO in June.

BOONVILLE RE-ENACTMENT TO BE A "MAXIMUM EFFORT" | Missouri Civil WarMissouri's Civil War

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 03-15-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Unique General store & museum: Crane's Country Store in Williamsburg, MO (Just off 1-70 between St. Louis & Columbia).

A store that's stood the test of time - CSMonitor.com

http://www.cranes-country-store.com/index.php

Attractions: Grant's Farm
Welcome to Grant's Farm

Gardens:
Missouri Botanical Garden Missouri Botanical Garden

Powell Gardens: Powell Gardens : Road Trip For Your Soul (http://www.powellgardens.org/default.asp - broken link) there are even Old Missouri and Kansas Star quilt patterned gardens there.

Missouri Star Quilt Company is in Hamilton Missouri
Missouri Star Quilt Company - Everything Quilting Under One Roof

Link to Missouri Quilting Guilds:
Missouri Quilt Guilds - MO Quilting Guilds listed in alphabetical order by city

Kansas City has lovely art galleries, The Plaza shopping district, and much civil war era history with historical homes of The John Wornall House, The Alexander Majors Home (Pony Express).

Alexander Majors House

The John Wornall House Museum

The National WWI Memorial and Museum National World War I Museum - Home Page

Toy and Minature Museum
Toy & Miniature Museum of Kansas City

Independence Missouri Boasts the Truman Library/Museum and Home.
Harry S. Truman Library and Museum

Special George Caleb Bingham exhibit Steamboats to Steam Engines: George Caleb Bingham's Missouri, 1819-1879

Hermann Missouri
Historic Hermann, MO, Heart of Missouri Wine Country

Depending on when your trip is sceduled there is a civil war sesquisentenial re-enactment in Booneville, MO in June.

BOONVILLE RE-ENACTMENT TO BE A "MAXIMUM EFFORT" | Missouri Civil WarMissouri's Civil War
Great ideas, thank you very much.

Skip

Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 PM

159 posts, read 259,132 times
cranes old general store in williamsburg Mo on old 40, YMCA in Petosi area in the woods camp style, Fulton Mo has Winston Churchill memorial, springs to Gasgonade River in Paydown is nice, Old 66 along 40 has some older landmarks. Is bush gardens still in STL? Use Yelp to find family style restaurants. Versailles has amish home restaurants, as well as amish shops, and that is the back way to the lake, and toward gravois Mills, which is less comercial than I 54. Ha ha tonka state park in Camdenton, and Rocky fork state park on 54, at the lake. If you like springs Merimac state park is nice, and there are many caves and swimming areas and canoe on this and the Current river. I was from NJ a long time ago, and the lifestyle is laid back in MO.

Last edited by schil; 03-20-2011 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Default Up-Date: Wonderful site, and very helpful:)

City-Data is a wonderful site, filled with wonderful, helpful people. Thank you all.

Up-Date: Ok, here is the current route we'll be taking, and doing so the first two weeks in October.

First week should find us traveling #44 through MO, down to Branson. From there over to Bentonville, KY area and 540, which comes up as one of the top 10 scenic drives in the country?

From there #40 over to Memphis, TN., with stops in-between (not sure yet what folks will recommend)

Likely on our second week by now, from Memphis, to Nashville, to Bowling Green, to ? Here's where we might stray a bit more then we should

Do we take 65 to 71, 70 into PA, or do we back track and drive along the Smoky Mountains and into PA that way - #81, to Lancaster, PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri