Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Hey there: What happened to the '5". You guys are waaayyyy over the top.. But I'll take it. I knew this would happen, just too much here to limit to 5, Was going to ask for the traditional 10, but was afraid you guys would do 20 or more Thanks and more thanks. So far....Good choices. But what in the heck is 'Crane's broiler fest'? That's a new one on me.
Ooops! I guess I missed the "5" rule.

Crane, MO...SW of Springfield... has an annual festival featuring...broiled chicken! It's a blast...ya like small town America? Go there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Okay guys and gals, need a few more 'favorite places'. How about some from north of the Missouri River and the western part of this lovely state? Anybody, anybody out there, Hello????? Awww, come on....

Old 08-14-2007, 03:32 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
A pretty good list has already been published. I carry a copy of this book in my car and make a point of checking off the places I haven't seen.

It's Don Corrigans "Show Me ... Natural Wonders"
A Guide to Senic Treasures in the Missouri Region

Everyone needs a copy...it's a great book.
Amazon.com: Show Me . . . Natural Wonders: A Guide to Scenic Treasures in the Missouri Region: Books: Don Corrigan,E. J. Thias

So...my list, all of the above and Pink Rock which is detailed in Don's book.

Edit...
Tease time...here is an excerpt from the book.

"Missouri is clearly the quintessential American state. It's part Yankee, part Confederate; part Eastern pretension, part Western bravado; part Northern plain, part Southern hill country. 'Tis a jumble."

There's lots more and it's all a good read.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 08-14-2007 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Missouri and Natural Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
A pretty good list has already been published. I carry a copy of this book in my car and make a point of checking off the places I haven't seen.

It's Don Corrigans "Show Me ... Natural Wonders"
A Guide to Senic Treasures in the Missouri Region

Everyone needs a copy...it's a great book.
Amazon.com: Show Me . . . Natural Wonders: A Guide to Scenic Treasures in the Missouri Region: Books: Don Corrigan,E. J. Thias

So...my list, all of the above and Pink Rock which is detailed in Don's book.

Edit...
Tease time...here is an excerpt from the book.

"Missouri is clearly the quintessential American state. It's part Yankee, part Confederate; part Eastern pretension, part Western bravado; part Northern plain, part Southern hill country. 'Tis a jumble."

There's lots more and it's all a good read.
Thank you for this information. Will check it out. I like the excerpt.

We bought a book a few years ago that has a pretty good 'list' and some comments that are very good. Guess what I was looking for was someone's personal feel about what places they have visited or want to visit that they thought was something 'special'. Thanks again. This will help a lot.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 AM

Does anyone else have Missouri favorite places? Cities, towns, historic, nature peserves, 'touristy places' that they would like to add to this list???

Something very 'special'? Thanks to all that did post their favorites

Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
hey this is a great idea! I would kinda like to get a long list of places built up myself seein' how I'm a new arrival to MO.

BTW if you think you will be able to keep our buddy ShadowCaver to five choices .........
/Hobbes finds himself trying to refrain, yet again, from a desire to smack some foolish person with a pie, that at the rate he is going, is losing its creaminess, and gathering additional nuts...

Hmmmm,,, speaking of nuts, here be one now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
You are too right Guess I should have made it special in his case. Like limits of 5K or so? Oh, well, we will see.....

Yes, I have been wanting to do this for a coupla weeks, but kinda got sidetracked, if you know what I mean

Ok, I will limit to five 'places'... Now, being the type of goofball that prefers the natural over the human-made wonders, here be my first-off-the-top-of-my-balding-noggin thoughts. Yea, I know, I semi-cheated in 3-5, instead of specifics, used 'areas' - for I would wager that a person visiting would have to travel via an auto, so might as well enjoy the journey and the destination both, 'eh? Anyhow, this is just quick 'n dirty, non all inclusive listing... there may be more later,,,

1. Ha Ha Tonka State Park and the Lake of the Ozarks
2. Float trip!!! - 11 Point, Jack's Fork, Gasconade, Piney Rivers, Meramac, Courtois, Huzzah, etc. Rivers...
3. St Louis area - zoo, Grants Park, Landing, Arch, Forest Park, The Hill, etc.
5. Road Trip!!! Start in Hermann and head down MO19 towards Thayer, and then back up easterly and northernly direction via MO's 142 and then 21 and V and W and 32 and Lawrenceton Cutoff Road [County Rd C], west on Y to south on US67, west on MO47, north on E & CC, north on MO47 until go west on A & then 185 - hitting Eminence & Van Buren areas, along with Elephant Rocks, Shut In's, St Joe and Big Spring and many other very places...

Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
[quote=MoNative34;1272700]
9. Cheif's football game
QUOTE]

Oh My.... Maybe I need to rethink this whole Missouri thing.........
I bleed Silver and Black

and I have been bleeding alot the last few years

Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Hey mr. shadowcaver: Are you forgetting something? What happened to #4. Didn't think that I would be asking for MORE from you, but what the heck.

#4, where are you??????????? ??

Your list now makes this really almost complete for what I need. Thanks

And a big THANKS to everyone that has given me some 'Favorite Places'

Can't thank y'all enough.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Huh????

[quote=Cali BassMan;1302831]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
9. Cheif's football game
QUOTE]

Oh My.... Maybe I need to rethink this whole Missouri thing.........
I bleed Silver and Black

and I have been bleeding alot the last few years
So, let me get this straight...your Missouri Favorite Place is:

"Bleeding Silver and Black"

Awwww, come on now. I not be knowin' thata place.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Well, of course it's gotta be Bass Pro Shops, followed by my Uncle's Farm Pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri