Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

21 posts, read 32,923 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Central Texas my whole life. About 16 years ago I started a little tradition. Every 2 years I'd pick a random state and visit for a week. Well, I visited Missouri back in 2010. I stayed just outside of St. Louis, and drove around visiting all over.

I loved it, and Missouri is stuck in my mind now. I'm on a medical pension from the Army, so I have the money to move up there, but my price range is only 50-100k. It'd just be me and my dog.

If possible, I'd like to know about places on the I-44 corridor. I really thought that area was the most beautiful place that has easy access to St. Louis, which just has so much going for it.

I'm a pretty quiet guy. I don't need a city with a rambunctious night life, and I love rural areas. Just make sure there's somewhere I can buy groceries without traveling too far, and that I'm not completely alone in the boonies somewhere.

I appreciate any information, ideas, advice, suggestions, and experience anyone can give me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWillsIt View Post
I've lived in Central Texas my whole life. About 16 years ago I started a little tradition. Every 2 years I'd pick a random state and visit for a week. Well, I visited Missouri back in 2010. I stayed just outside of St. Louis, and drove around visiting all over.

I loved it, and Missouri is stuck in my mind now. I'm on a medical pension from the Army, so I have the money to move up there, but my price range is only 50-100k. It'd just be me and my dog.

If possible, I'd like to know about places on the I-44 corridor. I really thought that area was the most beautiful place that has easy access to St. Louis, which just has so much going for it.

I'm a pretty quiet guy. I don't need a city with a rambunctious night life, and I love rural areas. Just make sure there's somewhere I can buy groceries without traveling too far, and that I'm not completely alone in the boonies somewhere.

I appreciate any information, ideas, advice, suggestions, and experience anyone can give me. Thank you.
You may want to give a good look to Rolla. On I-44, college town so there's culture and also on the old Route 66 for some nostalgia. A nice small city with great outdoor opportunities and only about an hour and a half from STL. You could be as urban or rural as you wish and the prices are right. They like veterans there too.

Your experience was much like mine. I fell in love with MO many years ago so this is where we retired a few years ago. Love the Ozarks!

Old 06-09-2012, 05:58 PM

914 posts, read 2,208,186 times
You are talking about St. James, Cuba, Bourbon, Sullivan, St. Clair, plus many communities just off the interstate ranging from Steelville to Union. This covers a lot of area.

St. James always struck me as a community I would like. Same with Union. But of what value is that to you - you likely have altogether different priorities. Maybe the smart thing to do would be to rent a place for six months or a year and really explore the area.

On a positive note, there is every reason to believe you can find something in your price range in a community you will like.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
On a positive note, there is every reason to believe you can find something in your price range in a community you will like.

That is very good to hear. Sometimes I wonder why it seems that there are tiny little houses here that sell for 200k+.

Also, It's amazing that almost every house in Missouri, from what I've heard, has a basement. The city I live in, Harker Heights TX, no one has a basement. When I ask they look as me like I'm insane.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,472,740 times
Quote:
That is very good to hear. Sometimes I wonder why it seems that there are tiny little houses here that sell for 200k+.

Also, It's amazing that almost every house in Missouri, from what I've heard, has a basement. The city I live in, Harker Heights TX, no one has a basement. When I ask they look as me like I'm insane.
I don't believe that's true- of the 4 houses I've lived in, only 1 had a basement. A lot depends on WHERE in Missouri you live. My in-laws built a basement, but it sticks 2 feet out of the ground because they hit solid limestone. At least they don't have to worry about the house sinking! Many places in Missouri lie above springs or other natural waterways, which leads to leaking. It kind of depends on the age of the home also. It is a good idea to have a basement, because of tornadoes. As far as I know, most of the houses in our neighborhood have crawl spaces.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM

914 posts, read 2,208,186 times
Quote:

Take a look at Zillow.com . While not a complete resource, it will get you started. I took Sullivan, Mo., entered properties for sale with minimum 1 bath and 1 bedroom, $125,000 maximum price (you may as well look - many of these properties will end up selling for $100,000 or less), and got 88 results. 75 of these are under $100,000. 50 are $75,000 or less. Within the area you have described there must be several hundred at present. These will typically be houses built in the 50's or 60's with two or three bedrooms and one or two bathrooms.

Perhaps one house in four here will have a basement of some sort. The soil in your part of Texas expands and contracts too much for basements without an amazing amount of work and expense.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM

That sounds about right. I'll take a look at Zillow.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Perhaps one house in four here will have a basement of some sort. The soil in your part of Texas expands and contracts too much for basements without an amazing amount of work and expense.
Caliche soil. The only stuff I know of where you can be standing up to your waist in mud while choking to death on the dust. I remember it well, and not fondly!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
I have a friend who came here to retire in Washington, MO and he is very happy there. It's rural enough that he can enjoy his outdoor hobbies, yet close enough to the city that he drives in pretty regularly and it's also a very picturesque little town.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 PM

What's Washington like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri