Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM

537 posts, read 441,860 times

Advertisements

I had a time out because of a misunderstanding with a moderator and then I had trouble connecting for the last three days because of getting a page that said that the server was too busy. But I am back and am glad to be able read what is going on in Missouri. Glad to see that everyone is still here and having fun.

Being I am retired I decided to try my hand at making my own bread. I made my first loaves just yesterday and they came out really good. I am so proud of myself! They rose nicely and actually tasted good. It was fun and I did not use a machine or anything. I did use my Kitchen Aid for mixing and kneading. I do have problems with my hands and the KA does make it easier on me. Of course I spent the day cleaning up after myself and my new hobby. I am going to continue to work at making bread and trying some new recipes.

Glad to be back with all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,554,239 times
Bread...... Did yah say bread? I always wanted to learn how to make bread. I would have to do the old fashion way since my kitchenaid is not workingSo cough up the recipe????POLEASE

Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 AM

537 posts, read 441,860 times
Talking This is the one I used.

I used this one and it is nothing fancy but for a first timer it was good and my husband enjoyed it too.

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Ahhh Jeez thanks...I get my hand in the recipe and see how it goes.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM

77 posts, read 197,864 times
Thumbs up Quickest way to lose 30lbs.

At least for us, was to put away the bread making machine. But, that stuff sure smells/tastes good !

Quote:
Being I am retired I decided to try my hand at making my own bread. I made my first loaves just yesterday and they came out really good. I am so proud of myself! They rose nicely and actually tasted good. It was fun and I did not use a machine or anything.

Last edited by leftcoastescapee; 09-27-2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: a good fix

Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

870 posts, read 3,083,707 times
Yummy! Gonna go home and try that recipe! Not gonna get on scales to see what it did either! Fresh bread for the hubby will make him forget that I might have gained a few pounds......

Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,343,165 times
Hey u can make it like that sort of roll it out flat then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and raisins and roll into a roll then put into a bread pan - yum yum!

Or pinch off 3 rolls .. about the size of 50 cent pieces and put all 3 in a muffin pan ..and ya have cute little rolls that plump up like Grandma use to make

Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Hey u can make it like that sort of roll it out flat then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and raisins and roll into a roll then put into a bread pan - yum yum!

Or pinch off 3 rolls .. about the size of 50 cent pieces and put all 3 in a muffin pan ..and ya have cute little rolls that plump up like Grandma use to make
Great tip!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:06 PM

[quote=Veiled Prophet;1592649]I used this one and it is nothing fancy but for a first timer it was good and my husband enjoyed it too.

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
[/QUOTE

VP I just made this bread tonight for dinner. It was delicious. I probably can do better but kids love it. They had seconds. My husband said it is good bread but not the best bread he ever had.... I guess I need to make a better one. Thanks again for the recipe... Also I have a great video online you should check it How to Bake Bread - Basic Bread Making Recipes and it even show you how to make dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Cinnamon Rolls

Just because of you Veiled Prophet your the reason I am getting fat. I made the bread one night and decided to make cinnamon rolls another night and my husband was in heaven. He said it was the best cinnamon rolls he ever had. Sooooooo I got to make some tonight. He gave me a surprise last night so he can get his dessert tonight -cinnamon rolls. Well I wanted to tell you Thank You. So have you changed anything with Amish Bread recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri