Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
And I foolishly thought Rush Limbaugh was a low as humanity could go. As a non-partisan, I'll be voting DEM on every level. MO needs to kick out these radical theocrats. It's embarrassing to be from MO lately. We really need to donate the lower 3rd of MO to Arkansas.
We really need to donate the urban secular Progressives to Chicago as well. See how easy that was?

OP, threads like this one are generally sent to the Politics forum which is why there wasn't one in the Missouri forum specifically.

Obviously, those who cast their ballot for Aiken a couple of weeks ago in the primary thought he was their best pick. Those who are against Aiken for his pro-life and pro-homeschooling positions were going to vote for Sen. McCaskill again anyway since she is decidedly a Senator who embraces amorality and fiscal irresponsibility as long as it will carry her personally to positions of higher power.

Which is "better"? That is really up to the voters to decide.

Disclosure: I did not vote for Aiken in the MO-GOP primary but I never have and never will cast a ballot for the corrupt "Air Claire" McCaskill either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Politicians say stupid things all of the time, especially when they don't want to answer a question. if you look at the entire passage, Akin clearly did NOT want to have to answer the question about abortion in cases of rape and tried to weasel out of it- badly. It made him sound dumb, that's all. Look at what came out of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. We apparently are a nation of 57 states, free enterprise doesn't exist ("you didn't build that") and the populace is subject to being physically enslaved by banks (the same ones to which the administration actually gave many billions of dollars.) Oh, and Mitt Romney committed murder. Like I said, politicians say stupid stuff all of the time. Watch what they actually DO and vote based on that. But somehow I am not surprised at a leftist being much more concerned about how a place appears in the eyes of others than in what actually occurs there- witness the Obama Global Apology Tour.
I pretty much have to agree with the above post. Aiken would have better to just have stated he believes that life begins with conception and left it at that.

Sadly, we get the government we deserve and like them or not, on either side of the aisle, McCaskill, Aiken, and others are a direct reflection of the lack of moral fiber and lack of knowledge, respectively speaking, we have as a people within our state. They are in fact a reflection of Missouri encompassing the ugly, the bad, and the good in all of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R57E3...layer_embedded

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-21-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
We really need to donate the urban secular Progressives to Chicago as well. See how easy that was?

OP, threads like this one are generally sent to the Politics forum which is why there wasn't one in the Missouri forum specifically.

Obviously, those who cast their ballot for Aiken a couple of weeks ago in the primary thought he was their best pick. Those who are against Aiken for his pro-life and pro-homeschooling positions were going to vote for Sen. McCaskill again anyway since she is decidedly a Senator who embraces amorality and fiscal irresponsibility as long as it will carry her personally to positions of higher power.

Which is "better"? That is really up to the voters to decide.

Disclosure: I did not vote for Aiken in the MO-GOP primary but I never have and never will cast a ballot for the corrupt "Air Claire" McCaskill either.

I pretty much have to agree with the above post. Aiken would have better to just have stated he believes that life begins with conception and left it at that.

Sadly, we get the government we deserve and like them or not, on either side of the aisle, McCaskill, Aiken, and others are a direct reflection of the lack of moral fiber and lack of knowledge, respectively speaking, we have as a people within our state. They are in fact a reflection of Missouri encompassing the ugly, the bad, and the good in all of us.
The good? This is the best the state of Missouri can do? It's embarrassing.

From what I hear, Brunner had the organization, but many Democrats stepped over to the other side in the primary because they knew Akin was an easy mark. This is not the first time this has happened, it happens all the time in primary elections, particularly those with light turnout.

Update: it seems as though McCaskill herself engaged in political advertising that impacted the Republican primary results:
Democrats spent $1.5 mil to help Akin win GOP primary | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Politicians say stupid things all of the time, especially when they don't want to answer a question.
There's a difference when saying what you believe with poor wording but is still what you believe. He may have not have said it the 'way' he wanted but it's pretty clear he believes the body shuts down and rape doesn't cause pregnancy. That is the issue here.. perpetuating and supporting literal stupidity, not fear of what others think. I don't have a problem with him being anti-abortion. That's a valid political item. His approach is not.

Do you agree with his statement?

Last edited by xenokc; 08-21-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Acting like this guy is extreme is silly, his views are main stream Republican the same as Paul (Ayn) Ryan's.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I don't live in Missouri, and I don't think what Akin said was particularly smart, but I'd pretty much vote for ANYONE over Claire McCaskill.

And yes, people, if you are going to try to look intelligent and criticize the man, at least have the sense to spell his name correctly or you look like you don't have a clue and are just spouting rhetoric you've heard.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
I have been defending Missouri's honor because of what this baffoon said all day yesterday and today. People have been coming up to me "Hey, you're from Missouri, do people there really believe stuff like that?!"

I say, no they do not...he is an outlier and an extremist. But really, I don't even know anymore. Truly, truly embarassing for our state.

Last edited by BoomBoxing; 08-21-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't live in Missouri, and I don't think what Akin said was particularly smart, but I'd pretty much vote for ANYONE over Claire McCaskill.

And yes, people, if you are going to try to look intelligent and criticize the man, at least have the sense to spell his name correctly or you look like you don't have a clue and are just spouting rhetoric you've heard.
Hello understatement of the year.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I have been defending Missouri's honor because of what this baffoon all day yesterday and today. People have been coming up to me "Hey, you're from Missouri, do people there really believe stuff like that?!"

I say, no they do not...he is an outlier and an extremist. But really, I don't even know anymore. Truly, truly embarassing for our state.
Tell them Akin grew up in NYC, it's just that many of the radicals are moving to MO and attempting to set it back to the Dark Ages of theocracy.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Interesting that Akin cancelled his appearance. Should've checked the news before I posted this morning. I guess his handlers didn't think an interview was the correct way to go.

He's on his way out.

I also have to say that, while I'm sure there were a few who did, there was no organized effort by MO dems to pull R ballots in the primary -- I'm pretty involved in some of this stuff and didn't hear it advocated by anyone, though you're absolutely right that Akin was who Claire wanted, and they spent some money in an effort to make that happen. Why? Because he has a history of harsh and poorly thought out rhetoric. Looks like she called that one.

I believe Brunner lost however because of some of the Republican PAC ads that were fearsomely harsh -- the one with the cut out cartoon things and the plane? Ouchy. So folks got to the polls, saw Brunner and remembered all the horrible things they heard (not hard BTW because he had essentially zero name recognition before so opinions were easily changed) and just circled in Akin because they did recognize his name.

That's not to say there weren't serious supporters of Akin -- there definitely were -- but there's a reason why even the last minute polls turned out to be wrong, and it has a lot to do with those negative PAC ads that appeared just before the election.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
I have to think that for the sake of common sense, even the more conservative voters amongst us will put their ideologies aside and reconsider voting for this klutz. For those of us who need a civics refresher, it is important to comprehend that U.S. senators hold sway when it comes to appointment of Supreme Court and circuit court judges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri