Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 PM

137 posts, read 610,311 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that if a politician wanted to be elected he had better use the "ah " or he would not win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 27,939 times
Default ee or ah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
I have been here, (all over the state) for the most part, since 1960. Rarely have I ever heard it called Missour-ah. I cringe when I hear the polititions say it that way. I guess it's a matter of preference.
I believe there was an article in the St. Louis P-D about this. It seems if you live in St. Louis or suburbs or Kansas City or suburbs, it's Miz-ur-ee. Anyplace else in the state, it's Miz-ur-AH.

I heard somewhere that Miz-ur-AH is correct as it is a Blackfoot indian word meaning land of many caves or something like that.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 27,939 times
Default how DO you pronounce it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
Try listening to newbies trying to pronounce Auxvasse.
Now this is what brought me here... how DO you pronounce that name? I'm willing to bet it's OX-VAZEE, based on the fact that Versailles in France is Ver-sigh and here in Missouri, it's Ver-sales.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,659 times
I live in SW near Joplin and always hear it pronounced mi-ZUH-ree. The town north of us is nuh-VAY-duh (Nevada) and the town down in Oklahoma is called MI-muh (Miami). Many older people also "warsh" their clothes. I lived near St. Louis until age 15 and my husband (SW native) informed me they are "groundhogs" not "woodchucks", "pop" not "soda" and "buzzards" not "vultures".

P.S This conversation happened after too much Mead at the Renaissance Festival, and somehow those furry animals morphed into "groundchucks".

Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 17,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
Now this is what brought me here... how DO you pronounce that name? I'm willing to bet it's OX-VAZEE, based on the fact that Versailles in France is Ver-sigh and here in Missouri, it's Ver-sales.
There's also Creve Coeur and that's always fun.

I was born and partially raised in Missouri(KC area) and have always said Missour-ee. Most of my family live there and say it that way as well. I've only heard people on tv and a couple of people from Kansas say Missour-ah.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTrix View Post
There's also Creve Coeur and that's always fun.

I was born and partially raised in Missouri(KC area) and have always said Missour-ee. Most of my family live there and say it that way as well. I've only heard people on tv and a couple of people from Kansas say Missour-ah.
I went to high school in Ladue, not far from Creve Coeur. The only way I ever heard it pronounced, was Kreev Koor. (Also, Ladue is "Lah-DOO").

I have always said Missour-ee, and like you, have only heard people on TV and from places like Kentucky say Missour-ah.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 PM

49 posts, read 320,357 times
Default Aux Vasse

Actually Aux Vasse is pronounced aw VAHZ where the first syllable is prounouced aw...as in "aww look at the baby bunnies..." and the second syllable is prounounced vahz...as in how Thurston Howell III would prounounce the word vase in the sentence "that's an authentic ming dynasty vase" Now try chamois, gravois, carondelet, des peres, desloge and florissant.

The worst place name to pronounce in Missouri in my opinion is the name of the creek just East of the Kansas City area spelled Sni-A-Bar Creek. I've asked several KC natives, and none of them know how the heck you're suppsoed to say that. Anyone here?

Ken

Last edited by KCWKEN; 03-29-2007 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Forgot "Sni-A-Bar" Creek...

Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,927 times
I lived near the Sni-A-Bar for many years. It's pronounced with a long "I" little if any pronunciation on the soft "A" and "bar" as it looks. It becomes a two syllable word with emphasis on the first. Rhymes with either "my car" or "Maya car". It's actually somewhere in between the two with only a hint of the "a" sound.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 AM

334 posts, read 915,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
I live in SW near Joplin and always hear it pronounced mi-ZUH-ree. The town north of us is nuh-VAY-duh (Nevada) and the town down in Oklahoma is called MI-muh (Miami). Many older people also "warsh" their clothes. I lived near St. Louis until age 15 and my husband (SW native) informed me they are "groundhogs" not "woodchucks", "pop" not "soda" and "buzzards" not "vultures".

P.S This conversation happened after too much Mead at the Renaissance Festival, and somehow those furry animals morphed into "groundchucks".
I used to spend my summers with my grandparents near Joplin (Columbus KS) and I remember them pronouncing Nevada and Miami as Ne-vay-da and Miam-ah (Nevada the state was pronounced normally, though). However, they referred to MO as mi-zuh-ra. They also once took a vacation to Hai-wai-uh! And creek was crick, where we'd go and catch crawdads, rather than crayfish.

The kids I played with called it Mi-zuh-ee though. Perhaps it's an old person thing.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 20,871 times
My dad says Missou"ah" and I say Missou"i"--he's from Tenn originally so maybe it explains it--ha! We don't care really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri