Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Well as I said in the post you quoted, I was being facetious. But the notion that "Welfare Queens" are living high on the hog is an anecdote-driven fantasy that has never been substantiated, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who even tried. It's just a concept conservatives are fond of because it allows them to doom millions of Americans to perpetual poverty without feeling guilty.
Ironically welfare dooms people to a cycle of perpetual poverty by penalizing work and rewarding not working. If I had a dollar for everybody I'd seen at work who said they'd work more except their government benefits (food stamps, HUD housing, unemployment, Medicaid, EITC, etc.) would be cut I'd be able to pay off my usurious interest rate monopoly Federal Direct Student Loans tomorrow. The old saying of "there's no higher tax increase than coming off of welfare" is absolutely true! People weigh working and not getting entitlements vs. not working and being able to sit on their keister watching garbage TV all day and getting benefits and working falls short. There are also quite a few accounts of people getting welfare payments who do live high on the hog- look at my link of the idiot surfer guy who drives an Escalade and buys lobster with his food stamps. That has been confirmed by multiple credible sources and it's by far not the only case of this garbage.

But hey, keep believing your discredited ideology. You'll maybe get a few more years worth of my money I have to work for that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Only two states in the country, Connecticut and Maryland, spend 20% or more of their gas tax on mass transit.
Missouri allocates 1.7% of the gas tax to mass transit, and that 1.7% is explicitly only available to RHSOC counties (as opposed to UASI counties, which are the KC and STL metro areas).
20% of the federal gas tax is diverted, over and above what individual states do with their own gas tax money.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Ironically welfare dooms people to a cycle of perpetual poverty by penalizing work and rewarding not working. If I had a dollar for everybody I'd seen at work who said they'd work more except their government benefits (food stamps, HUD housing, unemployment, Medicaid, EITC, etc.) would be cut I'd be able to pay off my usurious interest rate monopoly Federal Direct Student Loans tomorrow. The old saying of "there's no higher tax increase than coming off of welfare" is absolutely true! People weigh working and not getting entitlements vs. not working and being able to sit on their keister watching garbage TV all day and getting benefits and working falls short. There are also quite a few accounts of people getting welfare payments who do live high on the hog- look at my link of the idiot surfer guy who drives an Escalade and buys lobster with his food stamps. That has been confirmed by multiple credible sources and it's by far not the only case of this garbage.

But hey, keep believing your discredited ideology. You'll maybe get a few more years worth of my money I have to work for that way.
Then structure welfare such that it decreases benefits more slowly than income increases. Citing specific solvable technical issues as a reason to do away with the program is unconvincing.

In a broader sense, I don't understand the "somebody bought lobster with food stamps!" hysteria. Food stamps are basically a currency that can be exchanged for food, lobster is food, what's the issue? Even poor people have birthdays and holidays. Obviously it would be a problem if lobster dinners were the standard, but a reasonable person would look for more info, find that food stamps amount to $2 per meal, and understand that nobody is eating lobster every day on food stamps. The "controversy" around poor people occassionally saving up their food stamps for a decent dinner is both hilarious and sad. Find me somebody who qualifies for $20 per meal in food stamps, and I'll agree that reform is needed.

Oh no, an unemployed person ate a lobster, centuries of thinking on philosophy and political science is undone.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post

In a broader sense, I don't understand the "somebody bought lobster with food stamps!" hysteria. Food stamps are basically a currency that can be exchanged for food, lobster is food, what's the issue?
What the heck world do you live in?! Lobster is a LUXURY not a regular food! Those of us who pay for a specific form of welfare for these people so they don't starve are VERY offended when they use our money to buy things that we who are doing the paying can't really afford. If we are paying them so much they can afford luxuries, then I sure as hell want to reduce that amount because I pay a lot of my paycheck in taxes to support their indulgences. Give them just enough to survive until (so that) they find gainful employment.

Quote:
Even poor people have birthdays and holidays.
There's no right for them to be spending my money on things I can't afford just because it's their birthday. Boo hoo, get a job and pay for luxury items yourself if you want them. I don't get those kinds of things on my birthday. (Maybe I could if I didn't pay 40-some-odd cents on the dollar of my paycheck to pay for this crap!) You have absolutely no right to be spending my money you had the government seize from me under threat of garnishments, jail time, and maybe even a no-knock, bash down the door and shoot my dog 0300 home invasion by paramilitary thugs armed with fully automatic weapons unavailable to us "useful idiots" to hammer home the point.

Now you know why those of us who work and are forced to pay for this garbage are upset. People like you who try to justify it are even more disgusting as you are clearly pandering to them for your own purposes.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
This guy is getting about $2 per meal in food stamps, and is able to afford lobster. If you can't afford birthday lobster, perhaps you are bad at budgeting your money?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
20% of the federal gas tax is diverted, over and above what individual states do with their own gas tax money.
And we're talking about Missouri, which receives almost no federal funding because they are unable to provide matching funds. Making federal gas taxes irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
What the heck world do you live in?! Lobster is a LUXURY not a regular food! Those of us who pay for a specific form of welfare for these people so they don't starve are VERY offended when they use our money to buy things that we who are doing the paying can't really afford. If we are paying them so much they can afford luxuries, then I sure as hell want to reduce that amount because I pay a lot of my paycheck in taxes to support their indulgences. Give them just enough to survive until (so that) they find gainful employment.

There's no right for them to be spending my money on things I can't afford just because it's their birthday. Boo hoo, get a job and pay for luxury items yourself if you want them. I don't get those kinds of things on my birthday. (Maybe I could if I didn't pay 40-some-odd cents on the dollar of my paycheck to pay for this crap!) You have absolutely no right to be spending my money you had the government seize from me under threat of garnishments, jail time, and maybe even a no-knock, bash down the door and shoot my dog 0300 home invasion by paramilitary thugs armed with fully automatic weapons unavailable to us "useful idiots" to hammer home the point.

Now you know why those of us who work and are forced to pay for this garbage are upset. People like you who try to justify it are even more disgusting as you are clearly pandering to them for your own purposes.
Many and most of these people down on there luck due to the economy paid in their taxes as well. Then when a guy actually needs help; to you he is suddenly a leach.

YOU KEEP repeating this.. Catch a clue there fella. After you have paid your taxes just like me and millions of other the My money line is not correct. You are a part of this nation also. We paid taxes and our money is no longer ours in the single sense. Sure there are cheats everywhere in life; you just want to take it out on people that are undeserving of your diatribes.

use our money

spending my money

spending my money

Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I worked at a grocery store for a a while in college. A family came in and bought a full sheet $40 cake for "KiKi's" birthday. All paid for using food stamps. The same type of people would also come in and buy crab legs. The seafood dept would steam them, making them ready to eat.

I worked 30+ hours a week in college, just barely enough to pay my bills. Sometimes I was stuck eating frozen pizzas, Ramen, and beans until I got paid. Meanwhile, the taxes I was paying were going straight to KiKi and her lovely family.

Why don't we revert back to the old system where food stamps gets you chicken, ground beef, flour, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. No soda, candy, ice cream, or anything non-essential should be allowed.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I worked at a grocery store for a a while in college. A family came in and bought a full sheet $40 cake for "KiKi's" birthday. All paid for using food stamps. The same type of people would also come in and buy crab legs. The seafood dept would steam them, making them ready to eat.

I worked 30+ hours a week in college, just barely enough to pay my bills. Sometimes I was stuck eating frozen pizzas, Ramen, and beans until I got paid. Meanwhile, the taxes I was paying were going straight to KiKi and her lovely family.
According to FrankMiller, marigold6, and Versatile the money you pay in taxes isn't your money and there is no waste, fraud, or abuse of the food stamp system. Because crab legs and a $40 sheet cake is "food" and food stamps are "currency," so why is there a problem with buying food with currency? Do you hate capitalism?

Quote:
Why don't we revert back to the old system where food stamps gets you chicken, ground beef, flour, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. No soda, candy, ice cream, or anything non-essential should be allowed.
Well, that made people feel bad about being on food stamps and they tried to work to get off of them then. It's easier to buy a heck of a lot more votes by allowing people to stay on food stamps nearly indefinitely and buy whatever they want with them.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
According to FrankMiller, marigold6, and Versatile the money you pay in taxes isn't your money and there is no waste, fraud, or abuse of the food stamp system. Because crab legs and a $40 sheet cake is "food" and food stamps are "currency," so why is there a problem with buying food with currency? Do you hate capitalism?

Well, that made people feel bad about being on food stamps and they tried to work to get off of them then. It's easier to buy a heck of a lot more votes by allowing people to stay on food stamps nearly indefinitely and buy whatever they want with them.
I have done some work for a guy with your MINE attitude. He was a bit different than others. Turns out he inherited about 20 million as a kid. You sure act like him. Talked Republican stuff always but once told me that he actually pays less taxes when the DEM'S are in power.

I don't consider the tax money i pay in is anymore mine after i pay the tax. I understand the cash goes into the GROUP pile lol. I worked for mine just as hard as anyone else. You are no better than anyone else and no more patriotic than anyone else because you are a Repub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri