Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 AM

65 posts, read 389,453 times

Advertisements

Many folks have posted questions about this area and wanted to know more about the area, why are we growing so fast etc. I thought I would give a few statistics for Southwest Missouri, I believe these help explain the rate of growth that we have seen and what our forecast is for future growth.

It is important to note that no one industry dominates this area, our economy is diversified among alot of industries.

Statistics:

Cost of living is 10 percent below the national average.
Cost of housing is 15 percent below the national average.
Utility costs are 30 percent below the national average.

Geographically speaking 43 percent of the US population can be reached from this area in 4 hours or less.

Just a few of the facts about Southwest Missouri.

I find this an awesome part of the country and yeah I was born here, but I travelled alot growing up living all over the country and sometimes even out of the country, it was great to get back to Missouri in 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM

79 posts, read 396,177 times
Default Will they love it too much?

I too, have considered the Ozark region when I move from this stalinist state I have the misfortune of being from. I can't go anywhere for four years. But I wonder if, due to a massive influx, can these low cost of living numbers be sustained?
And I've been watching the climate, and find that it can be extreme. Like extremely hot, or like now, extremely cold. It seems like all the good temperate climate areas of the country have been overpoulated causing an escalating cost of living.
My cousin moved from Florida to Marshfield last spring. I wonder what he's thinking right now?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
I too, have considered the Ozark region when I move from this stalinist state I have the misfortune of being from. I can't go anywhere for four years. But I wonder if, due to a massive influx, can these low cost of living numbers be sustained?
And I've been watching the climate, and find that it can be extreme. Like extremely hot, or like now, extremely cold. It seems like all the good temperate climate areas of the country have been overpoulated causing an escalating cost of living.
My cousin moved from Florida to Marshfield last spring. I wonder what he's thinking right now?
I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. There is growth in Nixa, Republic, surrounding communities, but the population of Springfield has been basically the same for ten years. I don't think we're on the national radar really. People who seek out Southwest Missouri, like I did, do it by applying specific parameters to their searches and then narrowing down and comparing the various areas that meet those criteria. For me, SW MO. had it all, but...it's not for everyone. I don't think we're destined here to become the Los Angeles of the Midwest! And with the economy getting ready to dive into a great recession in 2007, housing prices declining everywhere (including here), I don't think we'll become an expensive area anytime soon. I think those who choose SW MO. from a researched or personal experience vantage will love it here. But other people might find it too po-dunk and too far from the major metro areas. For me, it's Heaven (except since that completely annoying icestorm on Nov. 30.).

Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,653 times
Quote:
Pretty much anywhere in the US is going to have extreme climate, temperature-wise. Excepting places like California, Hawaii (of course), and Florida, and maybe the Pacific Northwest and the SW desert.

But California is expensive, violent, has earthquakes and is being invaded by illegal immigrants, Hawaii is expensive and isolated, Florida has hurricanes, the PNW is cloudy 9 months out of the year, and the SW is just plain H O T.

This week, the temperature in SW Missouri will be in the 50's and 60's all week. I can live with that!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 AM

O.k. Thanks for that info. As far as the extremes, I'm kinda used to it already. And I'm glad for you the cold snap is over. I already live in a rural area of my state, so the backroads of MO. is where I would be looking to live. I won't need much more than part time for employment. And by the way, my wife and I do a lot of motorcycling, and I heard the deer population in the SW of MO is kinda high, and there's a lot of deer/car collisions (motorcycles too). What do you all think?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:23 PM

65 posts, read 389,453 times
Default Info

There are pros and cons to any area for sure, and yeah we have some occaisional extreme temps and all but the positive side is we do get to see all four seasons, its just less extreme then the north.

On the subject of deer, never thought of Deer as a bad thing in the area however we do have deer, and we have deer hunting season, that week they do move around alot being chased, and they do cross roads.

Bass Pro Shops is headquartered in Springfield, Missouri and we have a really great Conservation Department in the state. For more information regarding this you can visit the Mo dept of Conservation website http://www.mdc.mo.gov/ my guess would be that most folks would just want to come here even more after seeing this area.

I would have to say that while deer accidents may happen here it would not be a reason why I wouldnt want to live here.

Speaking of motorcycles in your last post, many motorcycle clubs and one that I know for sure the Goldwing club trek to Branson each summer and their are tons of motorcycles in the area the few weeks that they are here, if you have friends who are into motorcycles you might ask if their club has come to Missouri.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Default o.k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Stewart View Post
There are pros and cons to any area for sure, and yeah we have some occaisional extreme temps and all but the positive side is we do get to see all four seasons, its just less extreme then the north.

On the subject of deer, never thought of Deer as a bad thing in the area however we do have deer, and we have deer hunting season, that week they do move around alot being chased, and they do cross roads.

Bass Pro Shops is headquartered in Springfield, Missouri and we have a really great Conservation Department in the state. For more information regarding this you can visit the Mo dept of Conservation website http://www.mdc.mo.gov/ my guess would be that most folks would just want to come here even more after seeing this area.

I would have to say that while deer accidents may happen here it would not be a reason why I wouldnt want to live here.

Speaking of motorcycles in your last post, many motorcycle clubs and one that I know for sure the Goldwing club trek to Branson each summer and their are tons of motorcycles in the area the few weeks that they are here, if you have friends who are into motorcycles you might ask if their club has come to Missouri.
O.k. thanks. Nope. Nothing against deer. Just don't like them in front of my sickle, is all. And I think they taste great!
And as far as temperature extremes go, I was just referring to the several 100 degree days you've had this past summer, which I'm sure are a distant memory now...
Goldwing club? That's cool. I'm more of a Harley guy. But two wheels is two wheels, fun no matter what!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 AM

103 posts, read 503,741 times
Quote:
O.k. Thanks for that info. As far as the extremes, I'm kinda used to it already. And I'm glad for you the cold snap is over. I already live in a rural area of my state, so the backroads of MO. is where I would be looking to live. I won't need much more than part time for employment. And by the way, my wife and I do a lot of motorcycling, and I heard the deer population in the SW of MO is kinda high, and there's a lot of deer/car collisions (motorcycles too). What do you all think?
Noodle - Moved here almost a year ago from the PNW, and deer collisions are minimal -- in comparison -- at best.

In a later post, you wrote about extreme conditions. I've lived in the PNW, Calif., and Texas and have never, ever experienced anything like I did this past summer. The week leading up to July 4 is NOT a distant memory. I'm in SW Mo. because of work and will be for about another year, which almost makes me giddy knowing I only have to spend one more summer here.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 14,272 times
The Stockton area is pretty nice. It is a small town with a huge lake. You might want to visit the area to see how wonderful it is. You can check out the following web site for rooms at a couple of resorts. www.lakestockton.com

Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 PM

100 posts, read 494,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by washinton native View Post
Noodle - Moved here almost a year ago from the PNW, and deer collisions are minimal -- in comparison -- at best.

In a later post, you wrote about extreme conditions. I've lived in the PNW, Calif., and Texas and have never, ever experienced anything like I did this past summer. The week leading up to July 4 is NOT a distant memory. I'm in SW Mo. because of work and will be for about another year, which almost makes me giddy knowing I only have to spend one more summer here.
Do I smell a Seahawk fan? My personal goal is to convert everyone in Ozark before I die. So far I have converted 7. 8 if you count my son.

It's slow going, but I stil have plenty of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri