Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to ask here. As I stated on the TN forum, I grew up in Southeast Missouri, and it isn't much different than rural Middle Tennessee, and rural West Tennessee to a lesser extent. However, there aren't any cities nearby in Southeast Missouri.

I think you are going to have to visit to answer your questions. The happy people I grew up around were rural people who liked to hunt and fish & work with their hands. If they always wanted to go to St. Louis or Memphis for various activities they weren't as happy because they lived in an environment that didn't suit them.

Lots of folks in the southern Appalachians nowadays aren't originally from there. You won't see much of that in Missouri, other than around the larger lakes. Most folks in rural Missouri grew up there.

Also, if you are looking for a Southern Town, that restricts you quite a bit in Missouri. Cape Girardeau, Jackson, Dexter, Poplar Bluff, Kennett, Sikeston, West Plains are probably the only towns that would work for you since you mentioned you need a Wal-Mart in the other forum. Personally, I would pass on Kennett, Sikeston & Dexter because the scenery leaves a lot to be desired for most people. West Plains is in the Ozarks, but very isolated. Poplar Bluff is on the border between the Bootheel & the Ozarks. There is hilly forested terrain around Cape Girardeau & Jackson, but it is on the cultural border between the Midwest & the South if that matters. The rest of the towns in the state are more Midwestern in character, rather than Southern.

I'm not as familiar with the western side of Missouri, so I can't help much there.
You still got Springfield too. Bigger town. Some outside influences due to the university and such but still has southern influences.

You can also go farther north to places like Farmington. It's only 60 miles from St. Louis and is in that transition zone, granted it's more on the northern part of that but there are still some southern influences there. I'm somewhat familiar with that area, but then go to Ste. Gen due east and it's all midwestern. Odd how that works in that region of Missouri. Pretty sharp divides in far eastern MO.

You can also try places like Lebanon too that are in that transition zone. Generally, the Ozarks part of Missouri it seems when you get around Pulaski County is when you really notice a more southern demeanor over midwestern and heavier southern influence.

The transition zone in Missouri starts around US 50/ Missouri river area and southward and then about 10-15 miles north of hwy 60 on south is fully southern in Missouri.

The north end of the transition zone around highway 50 will of course be more midwestern, the southern end of it more southern as you go south.

You can also try Branson too as it's only 35 miles south of Springfield. However the only downside is May thru Sept it will be very busy there and traffic can be a nightmare during the middle of summer in Branson.

So THB maybe this person should try one of the cities more north in that transition zone. While not fully southern it's still has southern influences and closer to the bigger cities.

I kinda disagree with that part about the Appalachian mountains. Parts of southern Missouri such as Springfield, Branson, West Plains, Bull Shoals area and such you will find non natives because people retire there closer to the lakes and due to the fact the climate is pretty mild in far southern Missouri. Yea it gets cold and some snow but it only stays for a few days and then it gets into the upper 40s. In the winter they get a lot of days down there with highs well into the 60s. Areas south of Springfield around Table Rock are growing. However, the voting patterns have not changed much. That tells me people moving there are probably from Missouri, OR from areas to the west like Kansas, Nebraska, etc that vote Republican. Here in FL it's the opposite we have been trending democrat due to New Englanders and non whites moving here. Same way with Northern Arkansas. It has not been trending democrat as well.

other than the "mountains" being a bit taller in eastern TN, NE Georgia you're not going to find a huge difference compared to the Ozarks of the southern quarter of Missouri. The Ozarks culture is similar in ways to eastern TN as many of those Eastern TN natives moved to the Ozarks before the civil war.

Bull Shoals and Table Rock of far southern Missouri doesn't feel a lot different to me than those areas, especially off season when it's mostly locals and not tourist from non southern regions visiting to dilute the region. A few years ago I took a small vacation to Table Rock in far Southern Missouri a couple weeks before season kicked into gear and it felt like the upper south Ozarks way. I didn't see any midwestern influences 10 miles from Arkansas.

I personally would pick far southern Missouri like Springfield on south in the Ozarks over Georgia!

The reason why is because Georgia has been trending a lot more to the liberal side due to the growing region of Atlanta. Look who they might elect as governor! Someone like her would NEVER be elected to a state office in MO! Look at the last couple elections as well. Trump blew out Missouri, while Hillary was A LOT closer in Georgia.

Missouri isn't in danger of turning liberal like Georgia. The democrats who run for governor in MO are also a lot more moderate than a Stacey Abrams or Andrew Gillum. They'd have no chance to be elected outside of St. Louis and Jackson County in Missouri.

Last edited by MOforthewin; 10-09-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:42 PM

195 posts, read 333,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
People are trying to help you and you respond with attitude? That won't work in the flyover states. We'll feel free. And not respond to your posts.

Come at me with an superior attitude, you'll get slapped down. Somehow because you are offering "help" you think you're entitled to be a condescending a-hole. You notice most people didn't respond that way to my post. They laughed it off. They weren't' condescending. Don't respond with your defense. I don't want to hear it. Learn from it.

Last edited by edujop; 10-10-2018 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 12:02 AM

195 posts, read 333,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
You still got Springfield too. Bigger town. Some outside influences due to the university and such but still has southern influences.

You can also go farther north to places like Farmington. It's only 60 miles from St. Louis and is in that transition zone, granted it's more on the northern part of that but there are still some southern influences there. I'm somewhat familiar with that area, but then go to Ste. Gen due east and it's all midwestern. Odd how that works in that region of Missouri. Pretty sharp divides in far eastern MO.

You can also try places like Lebanon too that are in that transition zone. Generally, the Ozarks part of Missouri it seems when you get around Pulaski County is when you really notice a more southern demeanor over midwestern and heavier southern influence.

The transition zone in Missouri starts around US 50/ Missouri river area and southward and then about 10-15 miles north of hwy 60 on south is fully southern in Missouri.

The north end of the transition zone around highway 50 will of course be more midwestern, the southern end of it more southern as you go south.

You can also try Branson too as it's only 35 miles south of Springfield. However the only downside is May thru Sept it will be very busy there and traffic can be a nightmare during the middle of summer in Branson.

So THB maybe this person should try one of the cities more north in that transition zone. While not fully southern it's still has southern influences and closer to the bigger cities.

I kinda disagree with that part about the Appalachian mountains. Parts of southern Missouri such as Springfield, Branson, West Plains, Bull Shoals area and such you will find non natives because people retire there closer to the lakes and due to the fact the climate is pretty mild in far southern Missouri. Yea it gets cold and some snow but it only stays for a few days and then it gets into the upper 40s. In the winter they get a lot of days down there with highs well into the 60s. Areas south of Springfield around Table Rock are growing. However, the voting patterns have not changed much. That tells me people moving there are probably from Missouri, OR from areas to the west like Kansas, Nebraska, etc that vote Republican. Here in FL it's the opposite we have been trending democrat due to New Englanders and non whites moving here. Same way with Northern Arkansas. It has not been trending democrat as well.

other than the "mountains" being a bit taller in eastern TN, NE Georgia you're not going to find a huge difference compared to the Ozarks of the southern quarter of Missouri. The Ozarks culture is similar in ways to eastern TN as many of those Eastern TN natives moved to the Ozarks before the civil war.

Bull Shoals and Table Rock of far southern Missouri doesn't feel a lot different to me than those areas, especially off season when it's mostly locals and not tourist from non southern regions visiting to dilute the region. A few years ago I took a small vacation to Table Rock in far Southern Missouri a couple weeks before season kicked into gear and it felt like the upper south Ozarks way. I didn't see any midwestern influences 10 miles from Arkansas.

I personally would pick far southern Missouri like Springfield on south in the Ozarks over Georgia!

The reason why is because Georgia has been trending a lot more to the liberal side due to the growing region of Atlanta. Look who they might elect as governor! Someone like her would NEVER be elected to a state office in MO! Look at the last couple elections as well. Trump blew out Missouri, while Hillary was A LOT closer in Georgia.

Missouri isn't in danger of turning liberal like Georgia. The democrats who run for governor in MO are also a lot more moderate than a Stacey Abrams or Andrew Gillum. They'd have no chance to be elected outside of St. Louis and Jackson County in Missouri.

This is awesome, thank you. I will need to read it more than once.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:17 AM

858 posts, read 424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Come at me with an superior attitude, you'll get slapped down. Somehow because you are offering "help" you think you're entitled to be a condescending a-hole. You notice most people didn't respond that way to my post. They laughed it off. They weren't' condescending. Don't respond with your defense. I don't want to hear it. Learn from it.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM

451 posts, read 364,979 times
People get moderated out of CD for far less than what this guy is doing. What gives?

Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
If you want serious replies (I noticed you've asked variations on the same question for years on C-D) you need to dig deep and think about what qualities in a new region you want. Saying ridiculous things like "sparkle dust" are not going to help people determine what place fits you:

1. Do you want big city amenities or small town charm
2. Is being close to lakes, woods, and mountains something you prioritize
3. What's your job situation? Are you retired or need to find something in a particular field
4. ??? (Help us out here, what else do you desire)
Actually, these are very valid questions about what part
of the "Southern Magic is being sought.

If a person seeking to find a place to move to can't answer
what they want to find, there isn't much hope finding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
People get moderated out of CD for far less than what this guy is doing. What gives?
Which one: The Tough Guy or the one calling him on it?

Old 10-12-2018, 03:11 PM

451 posts, read 364,979 times
^the OP

Old 10-12-2018, 04:26 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
^the OP
Concur with your assessment of his behavior,
but if he asks questions that increase "informative" traffic,
he will probably get a lot of leeway.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:15 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I have been engaged in lots of research trying to find a good Southern State, and town. Mainly, i have focused on Northern Georgia, Middle Tennessee, and North and South Carolina. This a a beautiful region, and home to many happy people. Is there any comparable feeling living anywhere in Missouri? Does Missouri have any of that sparkle dust that seems to exist in the Smokey Mountain region? Or is living in Missouri a boring, depressing existence, which is how I tend to view it from a far?
I think you should look in the actual south if you want a good southern state and town.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think you should look in the actual south if you want a good southern state and town.
You have Springfield, Branson, and West Plains in Missouri. The two large cities in Missouri though are located just outside the transition zone though so they're not southern of course. If this were 150 years ago that would be different though. I'd say consider them two cities since they still had a lot of southern influence back then.

In the south large cities like Atlanta have a lot of outside influences now and not that southern. I'd pick a smaller town like Birmingham or Huntsville then or even Little Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri