Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 05:07 AM

16 posts, read 21,763 times

Advertisements

I wanna get out of St. Louis because the mayor says she wants to defund the police, and one of the towns I've been looking at is Hannibal and it seems to be in a good location. It's close to a lake, it's a half hour away from Quincy (where I'll probably do all my shopping), and it's an hour and a half from Springfield. Does anyone here live in Missouri but commute to Quincy or Springfield for work? If so, what's it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 05:02 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOrMassMedia View Post
I wanna get out of St. Louis because the mayor says she wants to defund the police, and one of the towns I've been looking at is Hannibal and it seems to be in a good location. It's close to a lake, it's a half hour away from Quincy (where I'll probably do all my shopping), and it's an hour and a half from Springfield. Does anyone here live in Missouri but commute to Quincy or Springfield for work? If so, what's it like?

it must be like crossing into the USSR or East Germany. A communist state. Terrible gun laws, high taxes, horrible roads. Stay in Missouri. I wouldn't even travel to IL and give them any tax money.

Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas all free states the border Missouri. IL is terrible

Old 06-07-2021, 04:35 PM

589 posts, read 1,108,507 times
The mayor isn't defunding the police. It is buzz language that intentionally causes emotions, and you are letting that influence you. If you would like, you care read this:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...te/7397972002/

Anyway, I grew up in rural northeast Missouri and I worked and attended college in Quincy. It was in the early 90's. The road into Quincy were not really filled with traffic, but I was very tired of driving the 35 minutes each day and am very glad to have about a 10 minute commute from my home to downtown STL.

If you decide to move to Northeast Missouri, just do some research on the problems you may face - finding a good paying job may be one. Quincy I do not think is doing as well as it once was as we face more and more competition. The only department store left in Quincy is Walmart. You may be fine with online shopping. Meth is a popular drug in the area, and crime had even increased in the small town in which I grew up. My father was a used car salesman for years, never locking the house OR the cars we sold. In the later 1990's radio were stolen from several of his cars for local teens trying to get drug money. He had to start locking things in a rural town of less than 500 people.

You will also have to use local rural roads and will have to actively watch for wildlife. I hit more than one deer driving back and forth over the 6 or so years between working evenings after high school and then also while driving to school.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:26 AM

8,941 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Your link is behind a pay wall. Here is some info that isn't behind a pay wall of a Leftist Newspaper.

Crime rate in St Louis is a little higher than the rest of the country.

http:////www.city-data.com/crime/cri...-Missouri.html
Quote:
The 2019 crime rate in St. Louis, ... higher than in 99.4% U.S. cities.
Quote:
In the last 5 years St. Louis has seen rise of violent crime and decreasing property crime.
How does the mayor deal with it?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...gh-murder-rate
Quote:
Jones's plan calls for funding for the police department to be slashed, moving the money to social programs that she says could handle half of the city’s calls that are typically made to police.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/squ...-defund-police
Quote:
Reports show that St. Louis police were responsible for more killings[note] per capita any of the 100 largest police departments, with about 18 people killed by police per million residents, according to a report by Arch City Defenders. But St. Louis also frequently ranks as among the most dangerous cities in America and suffered 194 homicides in 2019.

Mayor Tishaura Jones proposed a move that would cut $4 million from the St. Louis Police Department and eliminate 98 vacant officer positions. The plan passed the Board of Estimate and Apportionment 2-1 and now goes to the Board of Alderman, the legislative body of the city, for hearings and possible amendments, before it’s set to take effect July 1.

The plan moves $4 million out of the $171 million police budget to be used for affordable housing, homeless services, a victims’ support program, and civil rights enforcement.
So she is advocating for taking a dangerously under funded and understaffed police department, and making the situation worse by permanently removing the positions instead of filling them, and diverting funds away from them.

NOTE: when a criminal initiates a dangerous situation, such as attacking someone, the cop isn't responsible for their death, they are. The wording here is evidence the writer has fallen victim to "framing" propaganda of the Left. This is something all Americans need to on guard against.
https://propagandaprofessor.net/2012...rop-4-framing/

Old 06-08-2021, 11:18 PM

Well - the use of the term 'slashed' here is also an exaggeration.

"Jones's plan calls for funding for the police department to be slashed, moving the money to social programs that she says could handle half of the city’s calls that are typically made to police."

4M of 171m is 2.3%. I would not call that slashed. I am not specifically in support of reducing the budget, however these are chronically open positions for YEARS, and if we can repurpose those funds to other services why not at least see what can be accomplished because the status quo is NOT working. Something has to change. You don't know that using those dollars elsewhere can't help reduce crime and if they are so easy to fill, why are the chronically open?

Here are parts of the text that pertain to "defund the police", it does not appear behind a paywall to me. Some you have also cited above.

From the article:
Around the same time, Jones announced she would amend the city's $171 million police budget by reallocating $4 million.

Jones, a former St. Louis treasurer, was able to do this by eliminating 98 vacant positions in the police department. She plans to sprinkle the savings across several priorities, including: affordable housing; civil rights enforcement agencies; victim support services, such as covering funeral costs; and expanding homeless care.

Also within her first week, Jones signed an executive order clarifying how citizen complaints regarding police and correctional misconduct are reviewed and handled. She described the current reporting system as one "built for abuse, not accountability.

"The establishment is not too happy with me right now," Jones said. "And we've seen that through interviews that we've seen on TV, especially some in the police officer's association."

Critics have tagged Jones' initial efforts as an example of the city's new "defund the police" direction while pointing to activists on her transition team who want to abolish police altogether.

"Some of her core circle are people who are not only defund the police, they're eradicate the police," said attorney Jane Dueker, legal counsel for the St. Louis Police Officer's Association, which represents about 1,300 current and retired St. Louis police officers.

"So it would not be unfair of us to be concerned that the people surrounding her are people who are hostile to police."

"I don't agree with (defund the police) because I think that it automatically gives people a negative connotation," Jones said. "And it's totally antithetical to what we're trying to do, which is make people safer and transform our public safety systems to invest in things that make people safe."

Old 06-09-2021, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Well - the use of the term 'slashed' here is also an exaggeration.

"I don't agree with (defund the police) because I think that it automatically gives people a negative connotation," Jones said. "And it's totally antithetical to what we're trying to do, which is make people safer and transform our public safety systems to invest in things that make people safe."
Changing the wording doesn't reduce the effect.
Moving funds from police and removing positions they have failed to fill will reduce police capabilities.
Crime will increase.
Those other programs will not reduce crime.
They may even increase it.

Your resurrection of this thread to defend the mayor is quite a ways from 'living in Missouri and commuting to Quincy or Springfield for work' so I would suggest, if you want to justify the St.Louis Mayor's potential reduction of police effectiveness, I suggest you open a thread in St. Louis. That would have a secondary effect of my not to seeing it, since St. Louis is generally outside my area of interest.

If you have something to say about Hannibal or Quincy, or the bridge between the two, let us know.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:32 PM

Good point, and I spoke quite a bit about the two. In fact the majority of what I said was about the commute between the two. I used one sentence and asked the OP to read more about the use of the words 'defund the police'. I will refrain from further engagement and allow others to speak about the Quincy area and commuting there from Missouri.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:19 PM

Governor Parson just signed HB 85 today. The second amendment preservation act.

Your rights in Missouri are even more protected now.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:22 AM

I took a look at the satellite photos of the bridges across the river, and it looks like they wouldn't have much problem with choke points, should one bridge be closed, as the I-40 bridge at Memphis is. While the route from Hannibal to Springfield would be more than an hour longer, it wouldn't be a show stopper.

The question has been asked (on a different thread): if you live in MO and work in IL, do you have to pay IL income tax. I don't know the answer, yet.

On a side note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Governor Parson just signed HB 85 today. The second amendment preservation act.
Your rights in Missouri are even more protected now.
I just read the text of that bill and, thankfully, it covers prosecutors, as well. It will be useful to reign in miscreants like Kim Gardner.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I took a look at the satellite photos of the bridges across the river, and it looks like they wouldn't have much problem with choke points, should one bridge be closed, as the I-40 bridge at Memphis is. While the route from Hannibal to Springfield would be more than an hour longer, it wouldn't be a show stopper.

The question has been asked (on a different thread): if you live in MO and work in IL, do you have to pay IL income tax. I don't know the answer, yet.

On a side note:

I just read the text of that bill and, thankfully, it covers prosecutors, as well. It will be useful to reign in miscreants like Kim Gardner.

Yea. Btw I think there is a good chance Eric Greitens will win the senate seat since most have seen what a farce that was.

Also, the establishment Republicans supported ousting Eric because they want their man Parson as governor.

Eric Greitens has also been doing a lot of reporting too. He's been covering the audit in AZ and promoting Trump. Trying to tap into his base as Trump is very popular in most of Missouri. If Trump endorses him he's gonna win. Eric did a happy birth day video to Trump today!

So if he wins the primary being endorsed by Trump he will pounce whoever the democraps put out there. I wouldn't be shocked if it's Nicole Galloway. She seems to be the only face currently in the state that is recognized by the masses. She wont stand a chance.

The change over has occurred in Missouri. Most of those rural Democrats only vote Republican now. Civil War style voting has ended in Missouri. outside of Stl, Columbia, and Jackson County Missouri is deep red now.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...senate-primary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri