Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:37 PM

9 posts, read 42,938 times

Advertisements

what will happen to labor wages if missouri becomes a right to work state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 08:59 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
um, just look at Florida..... the unemployment rate is over 8% in Marion County....... do you all have the opportunity to vote against it?????
Please do! It has ruined Florida.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,063,163 times
This is a quite complicated ordeal - there is no 'one-size-fits-all' model regarding RTW. What happens in one state, due to its own political, societal, historical, bureaucratic, economical, etc. environment does not always translate to or for another state, even a neighboring state. This study will show this,,,, that study will show that,,, another study will refute some of this yet also part of that... Must also ask if there is any bias in these studies? Unemployment numbers, real take home wages, underlying cost-of-living factors, types of jobs, etc. are all some of the attributes that can be measured, and then used to compare. But still, gotta be careful, due to the above mentioned factors.

Some interesting reading on this:
Texas v. Ohio - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB120450306595906431.html - broken link)
The Wage Penalty of Right-to-Work Laws
Effects of Right to Work Laws on Employees, Unions, and Businesses
MISSOURI̢۪S NON-RIGHT-TO-WORK STATUS (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cachedxIxr0VMR0J:www.missourieconomy.or g/pdfs/mo_nonrtw.pdf+missouri+%22right+to+work%22+missour i&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Me, at the end of the day [well, since I be posting this at ~1am, guess its actually in the middle of the night ], I am in the belief that, overall, RTW results in a positive workplace.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 AM

973 posts, read 2,230,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
um, just look at Florida..... the unemployment rate is over 8% in Marion County....... do you all have the opportunity to vote against it?????
Please do! It has ruined Florida.
Well, I don't believe RTW has anything to do with Florida's unemployment. A more fair comparison is look at what's happened to Michigan or Ohio. Those are non-RTW states and I don't think mandatory union membership has helped employment for those workers who want to maintain jobs in a weakened economy at all.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM

526 posts, read 1,247,199 times
Thumbs down No NO NO

As someone who presently lives and works in a RTW state, I hope Missouri will NOT become one.
When you go to work you have to sign a paper stating that you are aware of Arkansas being a
RTW state and that your employer has the option to "terminate" you for basically no reason at all.
The workers have no recourse or rights. Unions??? Don't make me laugh.
I certainly hope that Missouri will remain a non right to work state, especially since we closed
on our house there last Friday and will (hopefully) be living up there before the end of the year.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
This is a quite complicated ordeal - there is no 'one-size-fits-all' model regarding RTW. What happens in one state, due to its own political, societal, historical, bureaucratic, economical, etc. environment does not always translate to or for another state, even a neighboring state. This study will show this,,,, that study will show that,,, another study will refute some of this yet also part of that... Must also ask if there is any bias in these studies? Unemployment numbers, real take home wages, underlying cost-of-living factors, types of jobs, etc. are all some of the attributes that can be measured, and then used to compare. But still, gotta be careful, due to the above mentioned factors.

Some interesting reading on this:
Texas v. Ohio - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB120450306595906431.html - broken link)
The Wage Penalty of Right-to-Work Laws
Effects of Right to Work Laws on Employees, Unions, and Businesses
MISSOURI’S NON-RIGHT-TO-WORK STATUS (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cachedxIxr0VMR0J:www.missourieconomy.or g/pdfs/mo_nonrtw.pdf+missouri+%22right+to+work%22+missour i&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Me, at the end of the day [well, since I be posting this at ~1am, guess its actually in the middle of the night ], I am in the belief that, overall, RTW results in a positive workplace.
You make some good points. However, I would suggest a read of the book "Whistling Past Dixie" that makes some insightful points about RTW states, and other issues that have negatively affected southern states. The author, Schaller, is an intellectual who makes many interesting points.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdslady View Post
As someone who presently lives and works in a RTW state, I hope Missouri will NOT become one.
When you go to work you have to sign a paper stating that you are aware of Arkansas being a
RTW state and that your employer has the option to "terminate" you for basically no reason at all.
The workers have no recourse or rights. Unions??? Don't make me laugh.
I certainly hope that Missouri will remain a non right to work state, especially since we closed
on our house there last Friday and will (hopefully) be living up there before the end of the year.
Thank you, thats exactly what I was referring to!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,063,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdslady View Post
As someone who presently lives and works in a RTW state, I hope Missouri will NOT become one. When you go to work you have to sign a paper stating that you are aware of Arkansas being a RTW state and that your employer has the option to "terminate" you for basically no reason at all. The workers have no recourse or rights. Unions??? Don't make me laugh.
I certainly hope that Missouri will remain a non right to work state, especially since we closed on our house there last Friday and will (hopefully) be living up there before the end of the year.
So, and I am just asking, that that is better or worse in a non-RTW state than being forced to join a union to have employment? That no matter your preference, part of your pay will go to a union - one that you may or not agree with? Dunno,,, maybe there is need for a middle-ground area? Me, I just can't stomach the times I've seen well-known inept employees be protected by a union - sometimes at the expense of good workers.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,896,406 times
RTW is bad regardless if you are pro union or not. It takes away workers rights. I have always said unions were important decades ago when workers had no rights at all, RTW pushes folks closer to those times again.

I hated unions for years as a non union contractor. I almost shut down a new Pepsi plant for opening the crate my applicator was in. I had to have a carpenter to do that even thought I built the crate. I also goofed by plugging the applicator's cord into an 110v outlet, it takes a skilled electrician to pull off that difficult feat!

Having said that I am starting to wonder if unions may soon be a good thing for the US once again. The blue collar guys have been getting bent over for years with all the jobs going offshore. That needs to stop but I don't really see how a union could make any impact.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 10-09-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
RTW is bad regardless if you are pro union or not. It takes away workers rights. I have always said unions were important decades ago when workers had no rights at all, RTW pushes folks closer to those times again.

I hated unions for years as a non union contractor. I almost shut down a new Pepsi plant for opening the crate my applicator was in. I had to have a carpenter to do that even thought I built the crate. I also goofed by plugging the applicator's cord into an 110v outlet, it takes a skilled electrician to pull off that difficult feat!

Having said that I am starting to wonder if unions may soon be a good thing for the US once again. The blue collar guys have been getting bent over for years with all the jobs going offshore. That needs to stop but I don't really see how a union could make any impact.
The book "War On The Middle Class" by Lou Dobbs is a solid read. I like the fact that he is NON-PARTISAN and tells it like it is. The middle class has been hurting for a long time, and the outsourcing of jobs by big corporations continues to be a big issue. IMHO our trade policies need some changing as well as our tariff rates when we import huge quantities of goods from abroad. GM and Ford are now near bankrupcy, and that could mean huge job problems for the US whether you are a huge supporter of the big two or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri