Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,567 times

Advertisements

So - I keep hearing about the weather in MO. I hear about the Hot and 100% humdity, is that true? how do you cope with that?
What about Chiggers and ticks? We are moving to Warsaw, and I hope that what i read about Chiggers and Ticks are over exagerated.
I guess we will find out, but alittle heads up might prepare us better. Will our huskies like it in Warsaw?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
What part of Ca. are you moving from? I haven't personally been that far south in Missouri but I can chime in from my much more Northern experiences.

It can get HOT and HUMID. I was out there about 2 years and from my perspective I'd say there were less than two weeks total out of each summer that I found really miserable humidity. I've been living in the DRY high desert mountains of Ca. though and I welcome any moisture. It can also get cold but again I didn't find any of the winter during the two years I was there particularly miserable but I'm used to a lot more snow than Missouri gets so it was cake and I'm used to icy roads too so no biggie there.

There are some serious weather fronts that cause anything from straight line winds to tornado's to BIG hail. Watch for flooding and some awesome lightening! We had a yard with a huge tree next to the house and the water would just run down that side of the yard lol and I used to be worried that darn tree was going to uproot in the wind and come crashing on the house. I sure miss that big old tree!

I didn't have any chigger or tick issues and I am an outside person. I do have two bug things I can share. I don't know if the Asian beetles go that far into south Missouri (look like ladybugs) but those things were aggravating! They came in huge numbers and they BITE and get in the house to try to winter through. There was also stick bugs, praying mantis, lightening bugs, all kinds of cool bugs.

You might want to make sure you have good air conditioning. I know the humidity was a little hard on my hubby at first and getting out of it and relaxing in the cool air sure helped him.

When are you planning to move?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
Ticks and chiggers are generally only a problem if you are walking in wooded areas or tall untended grass. If you do not apply a bug spray of some kind, you WILL get bitten. And they itch like hell. But if you spray with a DEET spray-I like the floral OFF- and wash thoroughly with soap and water as soon as you get home, you will get rid of most of the little buggers. Use FRONTLINE PLUS on the dogs to control ticks and fleas. They will love Missouri if they have room to run. Plenty of critters to chase, even in a city backyard. Heavy coats can sometimes lead to hotspots in our moist summers. Keep watch if they seem to be scratching more than usual. Our blue heeler (ACD) had a terrible time, we had to apply a cortizone cream and shave the hair in the affected area. Mosquitos are a problem too-make sure your dogs are on heartworm meds year-round. We get warm enough days in the dead of winter to bring the blood-suckers out.
I love the variety of bugs-we get sphinx moths in the moonflowers that are as big as hummingbirds. My husband works in a wooded area and they have huge luna moths. And the sound of cicadas and flash of lightning bugs means SUMMER!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Chigger nests are on the ground and ticks are in trees. it IS a problem inn MO and every other state that has grass and trees. I stepped on what I thought was an ant hill. It was a chigger nest. I had hives for nearly nine months. The only part of my body that did not have a chigger bite was my eyes and throat. It was a miracle I did not die. I am now seriously allergic to any bug that bites, sting,s ect. Ticks carry Rocky Mountain Fever. Ignoring it will not make it go away.

If ou live in the city inn a less forrested area it is better than the county. If you wrally want to control the bug population pay a professional to spray the years where you will walk and play, plus the inside of the house and around the foundation on the outside of the house every three months year round. Do it BEFORE you move into any home. Regular spraying also controls mosquitoes and spiders.

Do not feel badly. OK, AR, KS, IA, IL, IN, WI, MN, MI, OH, KY all have the same problem as do any area in the US that has trees and water. Parvo and Heartworm are nation wide.

Every state has mold in the ground. It is bad for lungs. Therefore if your house is mold free and you do not open windows and doors for 'fresh moldy air' you will see a reduction in colds, asthma, bronchitis and general lung issues.

I embarked on this simple program 4 years ago when my spouse was diagnosed with two lung diseases. Plus I added one extra step. I buy the 3M filters with a 1200 or higher rating and change them every two weeks. We have not had flu or any other respratory ailments since. And we don't take flu shots either.

Treat your pet before you move in and check everyone regularly - like every day - during flea, tick and bug season. Wasps like to build nests in inside corners of porches. Keep a spray can of Wasp killler handy and do not attack a nest of wasps until after night tall unless you want to see what a revenge of a nest of wasps looks like. Bats are a good thing. MO has them too. They are the night bug killers. they get inside the house on occassion. Turn on all the lights and open a door. Give them a nudge with a broom handle and they willleave voluntarily. Possums will not. They will fight. Coons bite, etc.. You don't see too much of these kinds of critters in a wall maintained, sprayed yard. Same for snakes, mice, etc.. .

Keep doors and windows shut. the return for your efforts is a mold free, bug free home. Get your pets started on Heart Worm preventativem plus use a tick and flea program. It's an all year thing too. My dog got heartworm and fleas in Feb - MO coldest month - because I was stupid. Dogs also get Parvo - a killer. It is important that animals geet all of the shots that include Parvo, kenel Cough and Rabies. It's not a joke. .

Bugs love water and tees. Warsaw is near a lake. Welcome to Missiouri. Warsoaw is a very conservative area. Most of the state is. You'll love it.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM

41 posts, read 161,428 times
You heard right. And I can't remember ever knowing someone who had huskies in MO, not very popular dogs here I guess.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hldm View Post
. Will our huskies like it in Warsaw?
Thanks
Now. that depends on if they are Southern California Huskies or Northen California Huskies... It seems most critters that come to Missouri from Southern California have a hard time while Northern California Critters seems to fit right in............

Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali bassman View Post
now. That depends on if they are southern california huskies or northen california huskies... It seems most critters that come to missouri from southern california have a hard time while northern california critters seems to fit right in............
lol.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Warsaw is a good town for retirees. Benton County does not have a good economy at all.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I looked up Warsaw, and it's near Lake of the Ozarks. Should this be in the main Missouri forum? It's not really Springfield/Branson area. Should we have a forum for Lake Ozarks/Columbia/Jeff City?

Just wondering.

I've never lived or been to Warsaw, but the area around Lake Ozarks seems to be very beautiful.

Anyway, I rarely get chiggers. If you're walking through tall grass in shorts, you'll probably get them. So, if you're going to be walking in tall grass, or might be, wear pants. You'll occasionally get a tick, but I haven't had one in a long time, and I usually find them crawling before they implant themselves. However, if you have dogs and/or cats, you will need to get some kind of protection against fleas and ticks. We use Advantage ourselves.

Humidity can be bad. I guess I'm used to it. My Pastor from Alabama says humidity here is nothing compared to what it was down there.

Good luck and God Bless!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM

62 posts, read 127,016 times
My grandparents live in Warsaw; I was there earlier today...

It's right between Truman Lake and Lake Of the Ozarks, and it is beautiful there...

It can get hot in the summer, mainly in late July/early August, but jump in the lake and you'll be fine...

Chiggers and ticks can be a problem if you are in the woods or very high grass, but if you keep your grass cut, it won't be bad.

I love Missouri, and Benton County is one of the prettiest places to live in the world...a great place to retire to or raise your kids if you already have a job waiting for you...

If you DON'T already have a job...well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri