Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,552,468 times

Advertisements

Since we had a lot of movers in this thread. What moving company did you decide on and why? Did you have a mover pack your stuff and moved your stuff to another destination? Did you pack and load the truck and the mover shipped to your new home and you had to unload it when it arrive your place? Would you recommend a moving company? I would do the u haul but I am scared to drive a big truck and tow a car behind at the same time and have my two kids in the truck bored as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM

106 posts, read 323,824 times
We are going with Sasha Transport. We live in Michigan and are moving to Cabool, MO about 760 miles or so. It is costing us $1800 because we wanted it there on a specific date, otherwise it would have been $1400. We had to pack our own things but they pack all the furniture, appliances, tvs, computers and such. They disassemble and reassemble the furniture and big items. The price includes gas, insurance and packing supplies that they need for all the furniture. They were the cheapest that we found especially since they tear everything down and put it all back together for you. Since hubby is disabled this was perfect. We just have to direct them where to put the boxes and set things up.
Kim

Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,929 times
We are using ABF. We pack it, they drive it to destination, we unload it. Reasonably priced easy to work with.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 AM

791 posts, read 1,820,278 times
Kareybear,

We're going with AFB/Upack. Our move will take us from Central CA to SW Missouri...about 1828 miles...according to MapQuest. We leave on 6-6-07.

If we use the whole 28' of trailer, the most it will be is $3026. This quote includes Fuel, Insurance, Tolls, temporary storage and door to door delivery. Plus some other things I can't think of right now.

The staff at ABF have been very friendly, flexible & accomodating!!! Plus, they will split the payment with a % due at pick up, and the balance due at delivery. Which is good! They also have a deal where if they deliver the trailer on any day but Friday, you get the trailer for three days, but if they deliver the trailer on Friday, then you get the weekend at no additional charge.

Since they are NOT 'Brokers' or 'Forwarders', our belongings will never be transferred to another trailer or sub-contracted out. Plus, they have terminals all over the U.S. The thing with them is that we pack & unpack the trailer. Which, for us is ok, because we can make sure that everything is packed the way we want it. And, if anything is scratched or damaged, (barring hazardous road conditions), then we know it is our fault.

The downside is that while they provide a ramp, we are responsible for getting the dolly, blankets, lock & rope. But for us, it wasn't a big deal.

The reason we chose them is because they got good reviews on Epinions & Moving Scam dot com, plus they have a terminal just minutes away from our home. Also, the mover we had planned on using, backed out on us, so we didn't have much time to make arrangements, and they had no problem with the short notice we gave them.

Their estimated delivery time is approx. 6 business days-excluding Sat & Sun. Which is good for us, because we're driving with our dog, and it'll take us about 4 days to get there, and we want to be there before they arrive so we can prepare for storage & such.

We are also having a classic car moved in an enclosed trailer. We're going with TN'T out of Southern CA. The have also been extremely friendly & accomodating.

As for the U-Haul, I'd probably avoid that if possible, especially if you will be traveling a fair distance and aren't used to pulling vehicles. You never know what sort of weather & road conditions you'll encounter, and it's just not worth the risk! Especially with kids.

We'll let you know how things went when all is said & done. Good luck on your move. Hope everything goes exactly as you hope it will. Stay Safe!

Hope this helped,
Boof

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM

238 posts, read 332,260 times
I've used the PODS before and it worked out well. One advantage of the pods is if you need your stuff stored while you find a house, etc.

Bob Mitchell
ValueList Real Estate Services

Old 06-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueList View Post
I've used the PODS before and it worked out well. One advantage of the pods is if you need your stuff stored while you find a house, etc.

Bob Mitchell
ValueList Real Estate Services
Thank You for the info.ABF does not service in my area. So that would be out.I got an estimate from PODS and they can drop off the box at my house but can't deliver to my new home. I would have to pick up my items in Springfield. So that means I need to get a U-Haul and load the items on the truck by myself with kids since I won't know anyone and unload at my new home where ever that is. Right now I am leaning toward texas,shannon, and w.plains county.
So any other suggestions? PLEASE

Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Here is some info....... Call and ask for Andrew, from Sasha Transport, he can give you some helpful info and maybe even an estimate of the cost. It doesn't hurt to call and check it out.
1-888-449-1223 Andrew
Good luck,
Kim

Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM

Oh yeah, They deliver door to door and even put your boxes in the rooms that you want them to. They disassemble and reassemble your furniture. They may not be what you are looking for but maybe they are. With hubby having a spinal cord injury, even though he can walk, this is a big help because we would have to hire someone to put all our things together. Hope they can help.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Jim_Kim thank you. Can you please tell me when your done moving; how well you liked the movers? Also did you have to pay up front or do you pay half now and then the rest of the payment when it was deliver at your new home?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:30 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Default Moving companies

Folks, I have been in the trucking business for over forty years. I have seen it all, and, then some. Moving companies ? ( in the trade they are called bed bug haulers ), officially they are household goods carriers, or, moving and storage companies. Mostly, the Company's are local, and provide local delivery and storage. As agents for the large nationwide groups, they can provide service anywhere in the world, as well as give you storage, and or local p/u and del. and packing.
The general freight carriers, brokers, and their agents, can provide the Pods type service, a fairly new concept, and one where you can save a lot, if you do your own packing.remember , using this type service, there is no insurance for the contents of the container.You pack it , you break it , you eat it!( whether its your fault or not).
Using a moving & storage co. has always been an expensive way to move. Most people who use these services don't pay for the move anyway, their company picks up the bill.same goes for Military moves, and that is the Moving industry's biggest customer , the Government. People will ship the most worthless junk, just because they can, and don't have to pay for it.
My advice , if you are paying for the move,is, have a yard sale, put it on Ebay, and haul a lot to the dump.It costs more to move most things than they are worth, thats a fact !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri