Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 PM

106 posts, read 323,754 times

Advertisements

Darstar.......that is exactly what we did, we had a garage sale and we are not taking any of our major appliances. The sellers of the home that we bought sold us their appliances. This was pretty cool because their appliances are only a year old. We downsized big time. Things that we didn't use or couldn't use we either sold or gave to charity. It is cheaper to buy things than to haul.
We will definetly let you know how the move went. We had to pay a $200 deposit and then we pay half when they pick up our stuff and half when it is delivered. Not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Folks, I have been in the trucking business for over forty years. I have seen it all, and, then some. Moving companies ? ( in the trade they are called bed bug haulers ), officially they are household goods carriers, or, moving and storage companies. Mostly, the Company's are local, and provide local delivery and storage. As agents for the large nationwide groups, they can provide service anywhere in the world, as well as give you storage, and or local p/u and del. and packing.
The general freight carriers, brokers, and their agents, can provide the Pods type service, a fairly new concept, and one where you can save a lot, if you do your own packing.remember , using this type service, there is no insurance for the contents of the container.You pack it , you break it , you eat it!( whether its your fault or not).
Using a moving & storage co. has always been an expensive way to move. Most people who use these services don't pay for the move anyway, their company picks up the bill.same goes for Military moves, and that is the Moving industry's biggest customer , the Government. People will ship the most worthless junk, just because they can, and don't have to pay for it.
My advice , if you are paying for the move,is, have a yard sale, put it on Ebay, and haul a lot to the dump.It costs more to move most things than they are worth, thats a fact !

Oh definitely a big yard sale here too. I have to move stuff anyways due to my husband has TOOLS and supplies that I can not sell because these stuff actually make money for the family. Since I have to move stuff, I am keeping a few big stuff like my new front loader washer,tv's, table's computer,bikes,printers and dressers, beds, kitchen items and one welder generator which I am not sure how to move since I don't have a Truck.
Thank You for the tip Darstar!!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Folks, I have been in the trucking business for over forty years. I have seen it all, and, then some. Moving companies ? ( in the trade they are called bed bug haulers ), officially they are household goods carriers, or, moving and storage companies. Mostly, the Company's are local, and provide local delivery and storage. As agents for the large nationwide groups, they can provide service anywhere in the world, as well as give you storage, and or local p/u and del. and packing.
The general freight carriers, brokers, and their agents, can provide the Pods type service, a fairly new concept, and one where you can save a lot, if you do your own packing.remember , using this type service, there is no insurance for the contents of the container.You pack it , you break it , you eat it!( whether its your fault or not).
Using a moving & storage co. has always been an expensive way to move. Most people who use these services don't pay for the move anyway, their company picks up the bill.same goes for Military moves, and that is the Moving industry's biggest customer , the Government. People will ship the most worthless junk, just because they can, and don't have to pay for it.
My advice , if you are paying for the move,is, have a yard sale, put it on Ebay, and haul a lot to the dump.It costs more to move most things than they are worth, thats a fact !
I agree- get rid of what you dont want to move .. I dont know about cost but I am doing this now. I put things I dont want to just toss on freecycle ..it finds a good home with someone who can use it without filling up the landfill!
Me and hubby are bumping heads now on this..everything he owns is some sort of keep sake - baaaaaaaaaa!!! I told him we are not moving crap across country!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 AM

LOL...Deborahwade, I think all men are like that. I know my hubby had a hard time parting with some of his things but we got through it somehow. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times
You never know when you might need that specialty part for a machine you no longer own.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM

114 posts, read 370,213 times
Ozarks21 you are so funny. Your reply made me laugh out loud. I've been a rat pack most of my life so I'm just as guilty as some of the others. Thanks for putting a SMILE on my face. You made my day!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 AM

LOL, you sound like hubby. It is funny but there have been a couple of times that he was right. Hubby loved the comment, Ozarks21.

Have a good one,
Kim

Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Default cut the crap

Glad to hear you folks are doing the right thing. Funny thing, when we have to pay the bill ourselves , the load gets lighter !
I am moving also, and have found that a lot of my collectibles, and valuables have found a good home on Ebay . Not only do I not have to face the hassle of packing and unpacking , but , have now an excuse, and the money , to get new stuff , maybe better suited for the local, climate, garage conditions, weather , a new hobby , .yes , cut the cord !....it will set you free......tell that to your spouses !!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,075 times
We went with ABF...so far, so good.

Should be pulling into Knoxville shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri