Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 PM

380 posts, read 963,524 times

Advertisements

This pesky intruder to our state has begun to be a problem for us. First, my dogs go nuts when one is on our property and all their barking doesn't seem to phase the beasts a bit. Second, they're digging holes all over the place. Now if they would dig up rocks, I wouldn't care but the holes make walking across the meadow dangerous.

I contacted the Missouri Department of Conservation for help in getting rid of them. The MDC said they are not native to Missouri, they are not wanted in Missouri and they really don't care how I get rid of them. They suggested a 22. I've never owned a gun in my life but I'm willing to take the plunge if that is the only way but am open to suggestions for other remedies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
[quote=Nu2pomona;13294676]This pesky intruder to our state has begun to be a problem for us.

Another interesting tidbit. Other than humans, they're the only animal that can contract and spread leprosy!

I also vote for the .22. They're often called varmint guns for a reason.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 AM

55 posts, read 110,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
I've never owned a gun in my life but I'm willing to take the plunge if that is the only way but am open to suggestions for other remedies.
I recommend a Ruger 10/22 and training. Google Appleseedinfo

X-out

Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
If the .22 option leaves you uneasy and if you are in a congested area with no safe back stop for your shooting, suggest the Hav-a-heart live traps and a deep tank to drown the invaders in once trapped (drown them in the trap as they swim).

If you have a garden planned these armored varmits will dig it up pronto. Extermination is the only control. You can't fence them out.

Take a hint from the MDC when they tell you they don't care how you get rid of them. It is their way of telling you, that like ferel hogs, armadillos have the real potential to get out of control in this state and the more people willing to exterminate them, the better.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If the .22 option leaves you uneasy and if you are in a congested area with no safe back stop for your shooting, suggest the Hav-a-heart live traps and a deep tank to drown the invaders in once trapped (drown them in the trap as they swim).
How do you draw the armadillos into the traps? I don't think armadillos respond to bait like raccoons or ground hogs.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
How do you draw the armadillos into the traps? I don't think armadillos respond to bait like raccoons or ground hogs.
I'm not certain as I would likely choose the .22 method myself. My friends in FL shoot them every chance they get. out on their land. Not unlike prairie dogs, but much more challenging and futher apart.

'dillos dig for roots & insects so maybe the mealy worms that one puts out for wild birds might work in the trap? Their eyesight is poor so putting under the bushes in areas they have been actively digging might nab them by chance. I've captured curious raccoons in open hav-a-heart traps without placing any bait in them.

Probably just have to experiment if the OP doesn't want to expedite them with lead/copper projectiles.

Luckly 'dillos (a.k.a. roadkill on the 1/2 shell) haven't made it to my part of the state.....yet. Too far north. So ya'll in Southern Missouri keep up the erradication efforts, deal?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
I think i read once that you use a V shaped type funnel to get them in towards the trap.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:30 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Quote:
How to Trap An Armadillo - Trapping

Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I'm with Curmudgeon. Blast them.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
I wonder if in the end it might be futile since unlike most invasive species they came in on their own power. It might just be a case of having to eventually accept them as native since its not a case of someone releasing an animal in the wild. Just be thankful there aren't worse creatures that start entering the state on its own. I remember seeing a list of what animals if numbers increase elsewhere and/or slight changes in land use and climate might start entering the state. The two most surprising people had was moose (with one or two examples of lone moose actually spotted in state) and in the Bootheel gators (have been spotted within 50 miles of state line). Just be thankful you aren't finding moutain lions which also have started appearing (that's more returning in this case) and will likely go from being guests to breeding populations at some point.

Now how far North in Missouri have armadillos now have been sighted? I remember a decade ago they thought they couldn't get that far North but went further than what experts thought since they weren't too sure on cold tolerance. The current guess is they will exist statewide with a limit somewhere along the Iowa border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri