Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Best:

Gracie
Couture
Before all is said and done, Anderson Silva's name will be mentioned here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
randy is EXTREAMLY over rated. i mean look at his record alone. people like him, and he has done well but greatest? NO WAY your nuts!

chuck has had a better career. chuck very well could be the best in the modern era, royce would have to be the greatest of the past era. anderson could be passing chuck shortly though.

and for the record, fedor while being the best FIGHTER has never been in the UFC as the question asks, i also agree miguel angel torres is very high on the list of pound for pounds but again never been in the ufc.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 PM

55 posts, read 178,220 times
There isn't one fighter that stands out in my mind as the best. Here are the top 3 for me.

Lyoto Machida is undefeated and he has never lost a round in the UFC.

Anderson Silva has won 9 fights in a row in the UFC and holds the record for the most consecutive wins in the UFC.

GSP has been tearing through everyone and looks unbeatable. If he beats Thiago Alves he will have pretty much cleaned out the division.

I think that all of these fighters are in the top 5 pound for pound as well.

Chuck Liddel has lost 4 of his last 5 fights. He does have a long list of wins, but lately you can really see how the game has passed him by.

The reason that I have chosen 3 of the current champs as the best of all time is because I really can't see them losing to anyone in their weight class who has ever been in the UFC. The fight game is always evolving, so the modern fighters are just better and more rounded than the fighters of the past.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:40 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Gracie came onto the scene and shook things the heck up for sure. I watched all the original UFC championships and no one could beat him. He was awesome. He had true guts - going into fights against people who outweighed him so much it was ridiculous.
I gotta give it to Royce also. He fought and won at a time when you had pure styles against each other(which made for more interesting fights)and no time and weight limits.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
randy is EXTREAMLY over rated. i mean look at his record alone. people like him, and he has done well but greatest? NO WAY your nuts!

chuck has had a better career. chuck very well could be the best in the modern era, royce would have to be the greatest of the past era. anderson could be passing chuck shortly though.

and for the record, fedor while being the best FIGHTER has never been in the UFC as the question asks, i also agree miguel angel torres is very high on the list of pound for pounds but again never been in the ufc.

The OP called UFC "A Sport", which implies they think MMA is synonymous with "The UFC"...(which it is not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Poster
I know the UFC is still a young sport. Yet it is the fastest growing sport out there.

My question is to those who know the UFC well, who would you say is the best fighter of all time to date?

I say Couture.
That is why some of us said Fedor.

But if we limit it to just the UFC Organization then I'll say: Beginning years = Royce, Present Era = Anderson Silva. But best in the sport = Fedor.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The OP called UFC "A Sport", which implies they think MMA is synonymous with "The UFC"...(which it is not)

But if we limit it to just the UFC Organization then I'll say: Beginning years = Royce, Present Era = Anderson Silva. But best in the sport = Fedor.

fair enough

Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

I agree with this... However, I think Miguel Torres doesn't get the credit he deserves... When compared with the Fedor of right now he has a better record, is fighting more frequently, and is winning in dominant fashion against the most qualified opponents in his weight class (i.e.. true number 1 contenders).

I am just consistently amazed by his skill and heart... Fedor has all the skill and heart in the world its just that his big name is almost hurting him in his ability to fight top competition... Fedor still has top 10 heavyweights to beat while the WEC can't find top guys fast enough for Torres to destroy...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yeah i agree. his record isnt all that amazing

Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
yeah i agree. his record isnt all that amazing
I agree his record isn't that good and definitely isn't the top of alltime. But the excuse is that he hasn't had any easy fights and his record reflects that.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:32 PM

45 posts, read 98,997 times
Randy is horrible. He couldn't compete at HW, so he moved to LHW. When he couldn't compete at LHW he retired. He came back and defeated an injured Tim Sylvia (in a decision, while others have been mowing through Sylvia), and then beat Gonzaga via accidental nose-break.

The best fighter in the UFC at this point has to be an Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, or Royce Gracie. They've had the most impressive runs and have all been great champions. If we're talking about fighters who haven't made a career in the UFC, but have fought there, then Nogueria's name needs to be mentioned as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)