Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

I have to admit. The first time I saw UFC, I was very interested in it. I'm talking about UFC I, II, and III. This is when Royce Gracie won. It was different and a bit low-keyed. Certainly, not at all in the league of Boxing, but an interesting aversion. Now I'm just sick of it all. It seems like nothing but a bunch of rednecks and convicts swinging at each other like two amateurs only to end up on the ground wrestling. The ambiance of it has a plastic, cheap feel like Roller Derby or WWE. It's too gimmicky for me. I'm not a fan.

I read a headline as to whether this barbaric-looking Kimbo Slice was the next Mike Tyson. Well, let me be honest. Kimbo is nothing but a gimmick, a barbaric, beast-looking character fighting in a sport for grunts and wrestlers. He nor the sport will ever attain the level of class, sophistication, or status that is Boxing. I prefer "The Sweet Science."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
It's certainly not for everyone. I'm a huge fan; have been for years, but can see why many aren't.

You mention that the striking appears very amateurish. In many cases this is true, but sometimes it all about perception. One thing to keep in mind is that a boxer trains solely on hitting with their hands and avoiding being hit. Aside from strength and conditioning that's all they have to worry about, which is fine. Mixed martial artists have that, combined with knees, elbows, feet, shins, and grappling. There is only so much time in a day, or lifetime, so it would be crazy to expect them to be world class at every discipline. I'm not sure why more world class strikers haven't ventured into MMA. If a fighter is truly world class in a certain aspect of fighting in MMA, it's usually greco/freestyle wrestling, submission grappling, or kickboxing.

Another thing to keep in mind about their style of striking is the possibility of the takedown. Someone who actually trains might can explain this better, but with the possibility of the takedown everything about striking changes - the distance, posture, and other ways. I doubt you would be, but if you were every curious to see some good striking in MMA I'd watch some highlights of Mirko Cro Cop, Anderson Silva, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, or BJ Penn.

As far as Kimbo Slice goes, he is just a gimmick. He's just an intriguing personality that hits hard. He was pretty well exposed for that in his fight last night. The "power puncher" couldn't put away a guy who's chin is more suspect than O.J. Simpson.

I'm not trying to turn you into a fan, just sharing my thoughts. You sound like you might like boxing; I'm a fan of both.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,033 times
Looks to me like the guys throw a couple of punches and then fall on the ground and dry hump until it's over. I hate the crap.

Boxing is so much better.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
MMA is actually far more appealing compared to the early days. People bring style and technique, not just strength and toughness.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default UFC vs Boxing

Two seperate sports. A boxer would get crushed in the world of MMA/UFC and a UFC fighter would get outboxed against most Pro boxers.

But for me the UFC/MMA is much more exciting. The Pay Per Views are much better also. For 45 bucks we get 7-8 fights. And you dont have to wait long in between fights for more action.

Boxing is pretty boring these days. Look at the heavyweights , can the average person name the Champs? Back in the Tyson days i enjoyed boxing alot. But Dela Hoya vs Mayweather is a joke. Every round looked the same. I miss Hagler & Hearns.

So for now I like the MMA world. But at times i'll tune into a boxing match.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
I was more of fan when it was underground and not mainstream. I sometimes hate fads, and that is what it is now.

I used to train sub-grappling too, but too many trendy people are getting in on it now

Not that there is anything wrong with trendy people, I just preferred it when it was more of an exclusive club, if you know what I mean

But yeah I liked it better when it was style vs style because there was more at stake. When it was wrestlers vs kickboxers, or kickboxers vs BJJ, or sambo vs whatever

You still get that, but people are becoming more well rounded, and I think fights are getting more boring

A lot of these new fans hate the ground, but I do not understand why K-1 never took off. It is a much more open and fast-paced than boxing, and is all stand-up

I just wished that Pride was still around. Their shows were awesome.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
I think it´s boring to watch.
Every time I see it they are just rolling around on the floor hugging each other.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
^^^

Exactly people like striking that is why K-1 should take off but never did

Also lots of people do not know this but the precursors to WWF, WCW, ECW once were real matches with people really trying to submit each other with holds, but it was boring to watch, so it evolved into what you have now with the WWE

Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Looks to me like the guys throw a couple of punches and then fall on the ground and dry hump until it's over. I hate the crap.

Boxing is so much better.
I could not agree more.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I just wished that Pride was still around. Their shows were awesome.
You should check out the new promotion DREAMS. It's essentially the second coming of PRIDE. They show the events in the US on Mark Cuban's HDNet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)