Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
It's certainly not for everyone. I'm a huge fan; have been for years, but can see why many aren't.

You mention that the striking appears very amateurish. In many cases this is true, but sometimes it all about perception. One thing to keep in mind is that a boxer trains solely on hitting with their hands and avoiding being hit. Aside from strength and conditioning that's all they have to worry about, which is fine. Mixed martial artists have that, combined with knees, elbows, feet, shins, and grappling. There is only so much time in a day, or lifetime, so it would be crazy to expect them to be world class at every discipline. I'm not sure why more world class strikers haven't ventured into MMA. If a fighter is truly world class in a certain aspect of fighting in MMA, it's usually greco/freestyle wrestling, submission grappling, or kickboxing.

Another thing to keep in mind about their style of striking is the possibility of the takedown. Someone who actually trains might can explain this better, but with the possibility of the takedown everything about striking changes - the distance, posture, and other ways. I doubt you would be, but if you were every curious to see some good striking in MMA I'd watch some highlights of Mirko Cro Cop, Anderson Silva, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, or BJ Penn.

As far as Kimbo Slice goes, he is just a gimmick. He's just an intriguing personality that hits hard. He was pretty well exposed for that in his fight last night. The "power puncher" couldn't put away a guy who's chin is more suspect than O.J. Simpson.

I'm not trying to turn you into a fan, just sharing my thoughts. You sound like you might like boxing; I'm a fan of both.
All fine points indeed. I think that you do not see many boxers cross over to MMA because while boxers are without a doubt the finest strikers in the world, that can be nullified in a street fight if/when the fight goes to the ground. MMA forums are really the closest approximation of a street fight that can be found anywhere. Also, boxers train with 12 ounce gloves. The gloves dampen the striking and make for a more interesting fight. MMA is bareknuckles (or close to it). If your opponent connects with an effective blow (whether with fist, knee or shin), the fight is over. I suppose the same is true in boxing, but to a much lesser extent. Your guard needs to be more vigilant in MMA matches and if you are worried about getting punched in the face and kicked in the knees at the same time, the entire character of the fight changes. There are certainly redneck "bar-brawlers" and, as was mentioned, convicts, but the class of athlete required to be a champion is at the very least equal to that of a champion boxer. The discipline, training and conditioning that goes into the sport is the same. I think it comes down to whether you want to watch a real fight or a gentleman's fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Gentlemen don't fight, genius.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:58 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Boxing is corrupt, boring, $hit. MMA is more interesting and exciting on every single level. I was slow to be receptive of it but with it being on television a lot more and having more access to it, I've really come to appreciate it the more I watch.

If you want to know what is wrong with the sport of boxing, look no further than these past Olympic games. Nail in the coffin.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
back then during the years of its creation ('93) it wasn't a big sport, it was too brutal, hardcore, it had no rules, no judges.

it was basicly a 150lbs fighter vs an 200lbs fighter.

it wasn't allowed in any PPV events.

But i do agree i like it more before than it is now.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:49 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
I don't mean to sound like an MMA elitist or anything, but this is something I'd like to share to those who might not know.

The first UFC event was kind of masterminded by one of the Gracies (Rorian???). Anyways, they worked with the promoter (SEG) to put on this event as the best of all the martial art disciplines. In reality, it was really nothing more than a coming out party for the Gracie's brand of submission grappling/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. They kind of hand picked some opponents for Royce that they thought would be fairy easy to take down and tap out. I think Ken Shamrock was the only one with MMA/Vale Tudo experience. Even then, he wasn't quite what they made him out to be.

It was essentially a promotional vehicle for them to open up an franchise gyms/dojos. There were plenty of guys fighting over in Japan that could have given Royce a much better fight. They were cleverly avoided though.

Pretty good idea really.

Aside from his draws and one withdrawal loss in the UFC, Royce's first legit loss was an epic fight in Japan. If anyone is interested in it, I recommend reading about it or even watching it (Pride Grand Prix 2000). It was truly a pivotal point in MMA at the time and it cemented Sakuraba as a superstar in Japan.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:11 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
funny how it was The Ultimate Fighter that finally made BJJ what it is today, and not the UFC by itself

Old 09-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
funny how it was The Ultimate Fighter that finally made BJJ what it is today, and not the UFC by itself
The TV show? Really??? You think so. I knew it brought in four times as many fans to the UFC, but I didn't think it made BJJ that much popular. Then again, I don't train, so I don't see who all is at the gym.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Default BJJ from spike- no

The tv show had nothing to do with it. Royce Gracie made it popular way back in the early 90's. I heard about and trained in BJJ in 1994. The ufc tv show may have helped the growth of MMA, not just BJJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Boxing is corrupt, boring, $hit. MMA is more interesting and exciting on every single level. I was slow to be receptive of it but with it being on television a lot more and having more access to it, I've really come to appreciate it the more I watch.

If you want to know what is wrong with the sport of boxing, look no further than these past Olympic games. Nail in the coffin.
Corruption is not also what's killing the sport of boxing, it's the fighters as well, they are always demanding MORE $ to fight and when they promise to make it a good fight it they don't deliver it, and they just fight for the pay check.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM

I think "boxing dying" is a myth. HBO PPV has made a killing these last few years. I think, more than anything, the viewing demographic is just changing.

Last edited by Mike in TN; 09-15-2008 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)