Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Hater failed upon reading the thread title:

"Undefeated" = dominant

"Rashad Evans" = black man

What underperforming white trash!

P.S.

Obviously you didn't read anything I said. I was not referring to the fighters as "trash". I was talking about the crowd/fans. Lets see if Rashad keeps the belt for more then 3 fights, then I will consider him a dominate champ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 PM

[quote=Linson;6755937][quote=CleanCutHippie;6755287]
Quote:
Watch WWE?...

what is this white trash of which you speak? i'm a black guy and middle class. i dont even know any "white trash" people who are serious fans of MMA. well, maybe one or two, but still, that's a rather broad and baseless generalization.

fact of the matter? well, this is obviously an opinion, which is quite debatable, and not a fact at all. personally, i can't sit through a night of boxing. but i'm not sitting here making disparaging remarks about the sport or it's fans. i think that sometimes when truth and common sense are not on your side, the only move you have left is the dick move.

dude, mass appeal for the "text your vote" crowd has no bearing on how much i enjoy the sport. it also has no bearing on the quality of the entertainment IMO. how old are you, btw? i just dont get where you're coming from with this.

Not ALL the fans are, but generally speaking the UFC/MMA attracts a lot of rednecks. Its great that your not but if you ever watch a UFC event take a look at the crowd.....drunk trash.

The truth and commn sense are on my side which is why I am confident in what I say. Like I said boxing can learn a few things from MMA. Everything from the announcers, to the ring entrances, 24/7 specials, makes the anticipation of a good boxing match unparalleled.

I have no need to disclose my age because its not relevant. What in the world is textthevote? Where did that come from? I am talking about fighters who are dominant champions. Notice when Chuck Lidell was a world beater how popular he was? Remember Mike Tyson back in the day when he was beating everyone? Having a bunch of guys who all beat each other is not good for the sport. Heavyweight boxing is dead for this exact reason. They NEED a dominant champion.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
[quote=CleanCutHippie;6756529][quote=Linson;6755937][quote=CleanCutHippie;6755287]

Quote:
Not ALL the fans are, but generally speaking the UFC/MMA attracts a lot of rednecks. Its great that your not but if you ever watch a UFC event take a look at the crowd.....drunk trash.
you have no idea what youre talking about, do you? i watch UFC events regularly, and as the cameramen pan the audience, they tend to focus on celeberties and other fighters in attendence. i dont see where you get off, based on a few seconds of footage, making a judgement as to the sobriety, economic state, and interests of such a large group of people. uncany. (this is an example of where you have no basis in truth or common sense)

Quote:
The truth and commn sense are on my side which is why I am confident in what I say. .
truth and common sense are on your side? you have confidence in what youre saying? what are you saying? that UFC fans are drunken trash. and that every part of a UFC show is better than boxing?

Quote:
Like I said boxing can learn a few things from MMA. Everything from the announcers, to the ring entrances, 24/7 specials, makes the anticipation of a good boxing match unparalleled
well, is there anything that boxing does better than MMA?

Quote:
I have no need to disclose my age because its not relevant. What in the world is textthevote? Where did that come from?
text - your - vote. it came from American Idol, i guess. it's something that 12 year old girls do to make sure the cute guy wins American Idol, ect. 81% of the text-voters thought Chuck Liddell was going to beat Rashad. 70% of text-voters, for whatever reason, thought that Forrest would beat Rashad. your age is relevant because you are coming across as though your opinion of the quality of a sport depends on it's mass appeal.

Quote:
I am talking about fighters who are dominant champions. Notice when Chuck Lidell was a world beater how popular he was? Remember Mike Tyson back in the day when he was beating everyone? Having a bunch of guys who all beat each other is not good for the sport. Heavyweight boxing is dead for this exact reason.
and yet MMA continues to grow in popularity. this is reality. the best fighters in the world, and no charismatic, marketable champion is being fed bums. i rather like not having an obvious outcome. clearly, i'm not alone.

Quote:
They NEED a dominant champion.
no, YOU need a dominant champion.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 AM

[quote=Linson;6756911][quote=CleanCutHippie;6756529][quote=Linson;6755937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post

you have no idea what youre talking about, do you? i watch UFC events regularly, and as the cameramen pan the audience, they tend to focus on celeberties and other fighters in attendence. i dont see where you get off, based on a few seconds of footage, making a judgement as to the sobriety, economic state, and interests of such a large group of people. uncany. (this is an example of where you have no basis in truth or common sense)

truth and common sense are on your side? you have confidence in what youre saying? what are you saying? that UFC fans are drunken trash. and that every part of a UFC show is better than boxing?

well, is there anything that boxing does better than MMA?

text - your - vote. it came from American Idol, i guess. it's something that 12 year old girls do to make sure the cute guy wins American Idol, ect. 81% of the text-voters thought Chuck Liddell was going to beat Rashad. 70% of text-voters, for whatever reason, thought that Forrest would beat Rashad. your age is relevant because you are coming across as though your opinion of the quality of a sport depends on it's mass appeal.

and yet MMA continues to grow in popularity. this is reality. the best fighters in the world, and no charismatic, marketable champion is being fed bums. i rather like not having an obvious outcome. clearly, i'm not alone.

no, YOU need a dominant champion.

Upsets are good once in a while but if they happen to often its not good. MMA is in its infancy but eventually ppl will grow tired of the belts constantly switching hands.

If your gonna use celebrities as a barometer, boxing gets more (not that I care). So why bother going there?..lol

The best fighters in the world? Like Brock Lesnar who is champion with a 2-1 record?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
I don't think any real MMA fans think Brock Lesnar is the best HW in the world.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Not ALL the fans are, but generally speaking the UFC/MMA attracts a lot of rednecks.
So how does it draw in Japan? Do they boat over rednecks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I don't think any real MMA fans think Brock Lesnar is the best HW in the world.
Even Lesnar himself said that he wasn't a true champion until he beat the winner of Mir/Nog (turned out to be Mir).

Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
If your gonna use celebrities as a barometer, boxing gets more (not that I care). So why bother going there?..lol
what do you mean "go there...lol"? "use celeberties as a barometer?" you can't be this dumb. we're being honest here, right? so, ask yourself - was i making a point that celeberties attend UFC events or was i making the point that when the cameramen pan the crowd they focus on the notable people who are in attendence - making it uncanny the way you're able to determine that the fans in attendence are a bunch of drunken hicks.

so you see, i didnt go there at all, did I?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 AM

[quote=CleanCutHippie;6757079]

Quote:
Upsets are good once in a while but if they happen to often its not good. MMA is in its infancy but eventually ppl will grow tired of the belts constantly switching hands.
it sounds like you do watch a little bit of MMA, but youre just not getting it. it's real. people aren't going to get tired of seeing real fights - regardless of who has the strap. people arent going to get tired of watching the evolution of the sport. it sounds like you need an element of show-business in your combat sports. like you need a hero. like in pro-wrestling. perhaps you'd like to see a champion protected from the best fighters in the world so we can see squash matches and a nice long title reign. you need it. i dont. i'm not alone.

Quote:
The best fighters in the world? Like Brock Lesnar who is champion with a 2-1 record?
yes, like Brock Lesnar. did he not beat Randy Couture? and as far as his loss to Frank Mir, i think 9 times outta 10, Lesnar beats Mir - back then. probably would have won that fight had the ref not stood them up.

so, what heavyweight can beat Brock Lesnar? he is the best in the world as far as im concerned. this is mostly based on his physical attributes and athletisism more than martial arts skill, which is continually improving. he's like a gorilla competing against men. you want dominant champion to cheer for? you want a juggernaught to get behind? i'd keep an eye on Brock Lesnar.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 AM

I do watch MMA. Combat sports are my fav. with MMA being my 2nd fav. I thought the 92 card was fantastic. I understand its real and much respect to the fighters that step into the octogan, ring or whatever it might me. Its better to have dominant fighters and that seems clear to me but I respect your POV.

Lesnar is a hulking gorilla. He is more strength then skill. I was not impressed as most with his win over Conture. I never expected Lesnar to lose to Conture due to age and just being overrated.
Lesnar can beat anyone on any night due to his amazing strength.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,893 times
finally rampage gets revenge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)