Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM

24 posts, read 78,335 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any information on a possible relocation from Charlotte North Carolina(Huntersville/Lake Norman) to Mobile Alabama. We are in our late 30's with 2 boys ages 8 and 11. We are looking for good schools as well as nice neighborhoods, as we are now in a golf club community on Lake Norman. We are boaters, do not have to be on the water but, would like to be in a community with access to bay/river. Our main concern is we want a very nice community that is family oriented with great schools, like we have here in Huntersville, NC. We are within walking distance to our outdoor/upscale mall/dining/movies and within 5 minutes to grocery/Target. Is there anything similar to this in Mobile? Looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM

432 posts, read 1,255,774 times
I would suggest Timbercreek subdivision in Spanish Fort. It meets all the requirements, but it's not in Mobile...but a short drive across the bay. (depends where in Mobile you need to be for job)
The Eastern Shore Center is across the street from Timbercreek. Plenty of upscale stores and restaurants...and soon there will have a Publix supermarket. It's very accessible to I-10, your way to Mobile.

Schools in Spanish Fort are great!

Another suggestion is Fairhope. It's right on Mobile bay, we are a beautiful artsy town, with great schools, and all of the amenities you ask for. The Yacht Club is excellent, and we have several golfing subdivisions. It was named 4th best in the country for families, per Family Circle magazine(August 2011). Many people live here and commute to Mobile. It's not a heavy traffic area as you might find in cities like Charlotte, so it's quite doable. I hope you check these areas out!

Last edited by humacaena; 09-05-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 09-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will checkout both Spanish Fort and Fairhope online and when I am in town next week. What would you estimate the commute to Forest Hill to be from Spanish Fort/Fairhope? Both of our boys play sports as well, do you know of any youth soccer clubs in the area? Thanks again in advance.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Check cofairhope.com and beautifulfairhope.com. It will give you all the info you need. There is very active soccer, baseball and football clubs. I am not familiar with those in Spanish Fort...I know they have a super football team in HS.

I had to look up Forest Hill, as I am not very familiar with Mobile, and had not heard of it. It's on the west side and so not so close...but if you are in the area, you'd need to drive it and see. Around here, nothing is too far. It is no where close to water, so again, the Eastern Shore might be your best bet.

People familiar with Mobile might give you better insight. I have heard of many areas there but Forest Hill was not one of them. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,399 times
From Spanish Fort to Forest Hill, its about a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic, from Fairhope, it would be about 35-45 minutes. The Forest Hill area is a very decent & safe neighborhood itself. It it right on Langan Park. It also is not far, but 5-10 minutes away from the Mobile Soccer Club. Access to the bay is about 7-8 miles but Langan park has a lake in it, although I don't know if you can swim it.

Schools, you would have Forest Hill elementary, which is a great school and the middle school would be Clark-Shaw which is grades 4-8 and very good school. High school would be Davidson which is also a good school. Other schools in area are UMS Wright & St. Pauls, they are two outstanding private schools.

Within 1.5 Miles would be a Brunos, Winn-Dixie and Food-4-Less in supermarkets.

I also will suggest Mid-town Mobile. The most charming neighborhood in Mobile, schools are excellent, very very walkable, only minutes from Downtown, Forest Hill & the bay. Very safe and filled with culture and charm. The Winn-Dixie in Mid-town is the best supermarket in the city and nicest. Plus you would not be to far from Ladd Stadium to maybe catch a college football game or a high school game.

I wouldn't suggest picking one of the areas suggested without checking them out, because you want to pick somewhere where you and your family will feel comfortable, maybe its Mid-town or maybe its Fairhope but I would suggest what feels right.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM

143 posts, read 282,729 times
Midtown Mobile is great if you are looking for walkability and bikability to close by shops and downtown. My wife, children and I love the charm of the historic neighborhoods, easy access to downtown events and mardi gras parades. If living in midtown you will likely want to send your children to private school though depending on your standards.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
There are some realy cool artsy historic midtown neighberhoods such as Blackwell,Oakleigh,Dauphin,and etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM

thank you so much to all of you for the great tips....looking forward to our trip there next week. If you think of more items of interest, chef owned restaurants, seafood markets etc...please feel free to let me know!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM

There is a great chef/owned restaurant in Mobile, TRUE, and I believe he opened another one..True/Midtown Kitchen....I have not visited that one, but the original TRUE is awesome.

In the Eastern Shore area, the best chef/owned place is Camellia Cafe in Fairhope. The Fairhope Inn is also great, but is under construction as they had a kitchen fire a few weeks ago.Tamara's downtown is very nice.

For casual fare, Panini Pete's...sandwiches and soups, and Fly Creek cafe, beautiful view and great place to watch sunsets and drink! Tamara also owns Aurora's, casual tapas(and now sushi) place. Master Joe's has the best sushi in Fairhope for sure, and people come from all over. Small place and best to try at lunch, as dinner time it can get crowded.

There is a gem with a great view and amazing food...very small and casual, Thyme on the Bay. The chef and his wife own and run the place...(mostly outdoor seating) and it's got great food. Another cool place is Dragonfly, a taco bar...but not your usual tacos. Anything from fried oyster, pigs ears, duck confit to scallop tacos...just yummy!

There is a nice seafood market in Daphne, Market by the bay. They also sell cooked seafood...great shrimp and oyster Po Boys, and gumbo.

Have a great time and hope you find what you are looking for. This is a beautiful area!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 18,868 times
Default Mobile

I live about 60 miles from Mobile, in south MS, so it isn't like living there but Mobile is a beautiful city. To me it is just lovely with live oaks, old homes and spanish moss everwhere. Add to that the draw of the water. However, it is very spread out, so I don't know if you will find that particular situation in Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area