Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:21 PM

446 posts, read 678,655 times

Advertisements

So everybody is surprised by the line up ?....Everybody says they HOPE this and that company announces they coming to Mobile. Mid to upscale stores have to want to be in a specific market presented why they should. You can go to the companies websites call corporate offices and see what they have in the next 3 years for as what cities they plan on establishing themselves in. Mobile is not a desired place on anybody map unless they are a foreign company bringing production jobs or walmart. With people saying companies not wanting to come to Mobile cause of violence is funny and BS. Yeah the line up is age old Mobile style it seems like but what if the people in charge of selling Mobile as being a market for business selling the city/area short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 01:19 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,268,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowboy View Post
So how do you explain Jackson, MS; Huntsville, AL; Boise, ID; Des Moines, IA; Lexington, KY, and the list goes on for cities that have Apple stores, and other higher-end retailers, and yet, have metro populations approximate to that of Mobile/Daphne/Spanish Fort area, which was as of 2012, was 604,000 people (CSA population)? Jackson, MS has 578,000, the other cities run 600K-700K. Population is important sure, but the financial means and tastes of that population is important as well. Now have you, I agree that Mobile has been wrongly overlooked to some extent on this regard, and that is why I mentioned that there are rich people who can patronize such retailers but don't because they are turned off by the environment around in in Bel Air mall and for some, and/or because the mall does not have the upscale exclusive stores of their liking. The malls and centers here did not cater to them and assumed that there were not enough of such, and only catered to those of less means, given that Mobile has all communities close to each other. Eastern Shore Center which was supposed to get an Apple store in 2004, and did not obviously, has a lost a lot of retailers and for the most part, has a repetition of the stores that Mobile and Pensacola have, i.e., not bringing itself enough traffic from both. Also the high rent and tax thing there did not help for the better. The latter along can revolutionize Eastern Shore Centre. Instead of an Express, they could have put a Banana Republic (same price range) and that would have brought people from Mobile and Pensacola there, and it would have brought people from Baldwin County to Bel Air mall for Express, is one example of the repetition issue. Legacy Village at Springhill on Dauphin Street has a small selection of upscale retailers, most of which are in Eastern Shore, could have been very well the purveyor of the store I mentioned, had they been a larger property.
In a lot of those areas they spend more per capita and some also make more per capita. I didn't say income was not involved but it isn't all income. But places like Boise & Lexington have major colleges and probably played the role in getting an Apple store.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:58 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,167,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
So everybody is surprised by the line up ?....Everybody says they HOPE this and that company announces they coming to Mobile. Mid to upscale stores have to want to be in a specific market presented why they should. You can go to the companies websites call corporate offices and see what they have in the next 3 years for as what cities they plan on establishing themselves in. Mobile is not a desired place on anybody map unless they are a foreign company bringing production jobs or walmart. With people saying companies not wanting to come to Mobile cause of violence is funny and BS. Yeah the line up is age old Mobile style it seems like but what if the people in charge of selling Mobile as being a market for business selling the city/area short.

Lem you have a point ! The city has been successful in landing foreign manufactures but not retail. So it seem as if someone could be selling the city short .

Old 12-23-2014, 02:07 PM

265 posts, read 429,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
In a lot of those areas they spend more per capita and some also make more per capita. I didn't say income was not involved but it isn't all income. But places like Boise & Lexington have major colleges and probably played the role in getting an Apple store.
Exactly, cities that have major colleges/universities have more people with money (students, faculty, etc.) meaning that they are willing to spend more. But I must note that Mobile does have the University of South Alabama, Springhill College, and Mobile University, all of which are among the most noteworthy in the state, and USA has one of 2 Med schools in the state; so it is not just the college/university thing. Mobile has for a long time not been seen as a city with enough people with the "upscale" taste or as having the culture for such, but hopefully that will change when the AIRBUS thing kicks up and we have an expansion and diversification of our populace, even though I think we already do somewhat, but that will help make the naysayers to reconsider.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM

265 posts, read 429,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
I definitely agree that Mobile, AL is being sold short, and hence, the dilemma of the existing assumptions by whoever it who runs the show around here and the said retailers themselves believing that they won't do well in Mobile. This attitude is what has always smacked me int he face whenever I mention that Mobile, can do far better in what it already has when it comes to the national brands we lack and want. Hopefully that will change soon.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:43 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,268,629 times
Mobile needs developers who are patient and willing to wait for the return on their investments. I think a lot of these developers build these sort of cheap style developments, take the first tenant who signs up and gets there money. Mobile needs developers willing to shale out a couple more dollars and wait a little longer for a better tenant. Commercial isn't fair housing were it is first come first serve, these developers have the ability to nitpick who they lease to.

Retailers we envy probably have not came to Mobile because they see the type of developers that develop here. If they see a developer go out past his comfort zone and spend a little more and maybe add some upscale features, they would be more inclined to sign on to that development.

I think in order to secure the retailers the area wants, the developers have to show a little more commitment themselves, and show their willing to up the risk for a better reward.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 PM

522 posts, read 847,565 times
I have to agree with you guys. I do think that Mobile has been getting a short deal, when it comes to better retail options. I think Mobile's time is coming. As someone mentioned, places like Lexington, Huntsville, and Montgomery have better retail options than Mobile, but I truly think that a big part of this comes from proximity. For instance, I think Huntsville has been a target because of it's income and growth, but mainly because of its proximity to Birmingham and Nashville. Many locals frequent Birmingham and Nashville even today, because Huntsville can't support some retailers that the other two can. Montgomery is smaller than Mobile, but the proximity to Birmingham and even Atlanta helps too. Same with Lexington being close to Louisville. Jackson, Ms has just recently seen an uptick in there retail offerings. Mobile isn't too far from New Orleans, but for some reason the retailers aren't giving Mobile a try just yet. I understand, there are several options that should be in here Birmingham, and yet not here yet. Rest assured Mobile, your time is coming.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:08 PM

688 posts, read 1,207,199 times
South Alabama already has two upscale shopping destinations: Legacy Village and Eastern Shore Centre. In the case of Eastern Shore Centre, it simply needs to be in the hands of a leasing team willing to pursue expanding national retailers. If your development can't attract new stores in one of the fastest growing counties in the region, something is wrong with the development.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,088,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
South Alabama already has two upscale shopping destinations: Legacy Village and Eastern Shore Centre. In the case of Eastern Shore Centre, it simply needs to be in the hands of a leasing team willing to pursue expanding national retailers. If your development can't attract new stores in one of the fastest growing counties in the region, something is wrong with the development.
Due to the fact I know so many people who have homes on the coast, but live in Birmingham, and of course there are many others from other places, I just believe because of this that the percentage of residents that are seen as seasonal is just too high in Baldwin. That gives it a differenct demographic from other fast growing counties. For instance, these people by food and dine out, but few actually buy clothing and the basics of life. Something they do where they live year 'round. This is a hard situation to overcome. Basically it appears that just Daphne and surrounding area are all that really supports retail in Baldwin.
I just don't think retailers want to risk that. Underlying that is the fact that the economy of the past six years has devastated retail centers in Baldwin.

No doubt it is a great future market, but the time is just now approaching to expect a change.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 AM

446 posts, read 678,655 times
I really do believe the city and area is being sold short i hear too many people say the going to Destin or New Orleans to shop and i know a few people that have credit cards for companies that are not in the Mobile area and they sometimes just want walk in the store and see or try on stuff so they wont have to go through the hassle of sending it back off..........yes this a long run on sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area