Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 03:16 PM

5,013 posts, read 9,221,394 times

Advertisements

Hmmm I wonder why ?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 05:13 PM

313 posts, read 252,192 times
Airbus new FAL news should be public next week. on top of that we are taking on a lot of the workload from tianjin FAL bc china is building their own passenger jet (Comac c929 and c919) maybe from stolen airbus technology but luckily they only build 320s and not the updated version which is the 321

Last edited by MardiGras251; 05-04-2022 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-05-2022, 09:39 AM

890 posts, read 613,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras251 View Post
Airbus new FAL news should be public next week. on top of that we are taking on a lot of the workload from tianjin FAL bc china is building their own passenger jet (Comac c929 and c919) maybe from stolen airbus technology but luckily they only build 320s and not the updated version which is the 321

Awesome, hoping to see a boom in new jobs for Airbus in Mobile

Old 05-16-2022, 03:24 PM

I don't like this and think this is a bad idea. Hopefully they go through with the Woodcock idea instead and turn Gayfers into something else. Maybe a shopping arcade or a Gulfcoast version of Ponce City Market.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0fg2b...99qg6&hl=en_US

Old 05-16-2022, 04:36 PM

262 posts, read 206,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I don't like this and think this is a bad idea. Hopefully they go through with the Woodcock idea instead and turn Gayfers into something else. Maybe a shopping arcade or a Gulfcoast version of Ponce City Market.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0fg2b...99qg6&hl=en_US
I get mad just thinking about how intellectually defective the leaders of this city have to be to brag about this. I’m fairly certain we regularly rank as one of the most affordable cities of our size. I don’t even know how the logistics would work regarding the employment of people downtown. Do you have to prove your employment with a downtown employer to get an apartment? If you’re fired or quit your job then are you evicted from your apartment since you don’t work downtown? What if people want to live downtown that don’t actually work there? Why would you put it in the deed that this has to be “affordable” housing for the rest of time? How do you keep up the buildings(oldest of which is from the 1800s) long term? And why is it necessary to put something affordable onto the Main Street of downtown when 1 mile from downtown you will find the most affordable parts of the city, and while the houses there suck, when you’re not making a lot of money, you don’t have the luxury of living anywhere you want. That’s the way it works for everyone else. This only has the potential to harm as I don’t see the upside at all.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:45 PM

890 posts, read 613,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I get mad just thinking about how intellectually defective the leaders of this city have to be to brag about this. I’m fairly certain we regularly rank as one of the most affordable cities of our size. I don’t even know how the logistics would work regarding the employment of people downtown. Do you have to prove your employment with a downtown employer to get an apartment? If you’re fired or quit your job then are you evicted from your apartment since you don’t work downtown? What if people want to live downtown that don’t actually work there? Why would you put it in the deed that this has to be “affordable” housing for the rest of time? How do you keep up the buildings(oldest of which is from the 1800s) long term? And why is it necessary to put something affordable onto the Main Street of downtown when 1 mile from downtown you will find the most affordable parts of the city, and while the houses there suck, when you’re not making a lot of money, you don’t have the luxury of living anywhere you want. That’s the way it works for everyone else. This only has the potential to harm as I don’t see the upside at all.

Yea I think it’s idiotic to make all 94 units affordable housing units, have we not learned in past 60 years that it’s a terrible idea to have a high concentration of poverty? Sure some of it should be affordable, maybe like 20-25% of it, but not the whole thing. That’s completely defeating the purposes of destroying the other projects and going to the voucher system

Old 05-17-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Yea I think it’s idiotic to make all 94 units affordable housing units, have we not learned in past 60 years that it’s a terrible idea to have a high concentration of poverty? Sure some of it should be affordable, maybe like 20-25% of it, but not the whole thing. That’s completely defeating the purposes of destroying the other projects and going to the voucher system
They shouldn't make any of it affordable imo. It's across from Bienville! The building is a historic iconic retail building. And it should be developed as such or just make it into apartments.

It should be the GulfCoast's version of Ponce City Market.
https://s9architecture.com/ponce

Old 05-17-2022, 06:05 AM

494 posts, read 470,301 times
Yeah, this one is a stimpson fail. I wonder what all the developers downtown that poured money into the area think about this?

Old 05-17-2022, 10:57 AM

262 posts, read 206,055 times
“Today the Mobile City Council will consider allocating $8 million from City’s American Rescue Plan (ARP) funding to a project that will continue development of downtown, repurpose a long-abandoned building in the heart of the City and expand affordable housing east of Interstate 65.”

This is a quote from the press release today. The last part hurts my head how they can say this. East of I-65 has the most affordable housing in the city. If you wanted to divide the city into two halves along I-65, it’s not the eastern half which is expensive. Y’all think they’ve ever looked at a poverty map of Mobile? 80% of the eastern side is covered in extreme poverty, so I don’t think those houses are going for much. They’re using citywide metrics on affordability to determine who can live here. What’s affordable to people from all of Mobile isn’t the same as what’s affordable to people from Spring Hill, nor what’s affordable to people from maysville or Crichton. Who are they trying to attract? You can only make less than 35k for a family of 4???? It’s extremely hard for 2 working adults to make less than that amount of money. Even if you assumed it’s 1 adult and 3 children, then where would someone like that work downtown to make less than 35k? Do they assume all waiters/waitresses make poverty level incomes? This would disqualify fire fighters and police officers that work downtown. When people say they want affordable housing, it’s middle class people that want to be able to afford to live somewhere like this, it shouldn’t be people making less than 35k or 29k. For some context, for 1 person to live here, they need to make less than 24k. You’d need to make less than 12$ an hour to live here

Old 05-17-2022, 01:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,884,999 times
I believe the Gayfers plan is 19 low-income units (eligible for vouchers) and 75 "affordable" units, which I would guess would be market rate. Commercial first floor, residential above...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area