Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 PM

265 posts, read 428,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
I missed it the first few times too up in Birmingham. I was looking for gluten free and I was stunned they had none. lol

I think learning about what they don't carry is helpful in remembering what they do. A lot of the chemicals we take for granted and just accept keep many items out of their stores. It can be a little frustrating.
WF is like a boutique compared to a department store. So no one, not even WF expects you to do all your shopping their.

PS; their whole grain, real preservative free fig newtons are one of the best things I have ever had. They make the ones in the box really pitiful. They are in the bulk bins, btw.
They have their gluten free bakery stuff in the closed door long refrigerator behind the bakery (Breads, cakes, pies, cupcakes). Also in the cookie bar, they have 2-3 (varies day by day) selections of gluten free cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM

275 posts, read 536,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
I missed it the first few times too up in Birmingham. I was looking for gluten free and I was stunned they had none. lol

I think learning about what they don't carry is helpful in remembering what they do. A lot of the chemicals we take for granted and just accept keep many items out of their stores. It can be a little frustrating.
WF is like a boutique compared to a department store. So no one, not even WF expects you to do all your shopping their.

PS; their whole grain, real preservative free fig newtons are one of the best things I have ever had. They make the ones in the box really pitiful. They are in the bulk bins, btw.
I'll have to try those fig newtons; haven't bought the other ones for years. We pretty much eat as organic and preservative free as possible, so I imagine I'll have to spend a good deal of time finding my way around and getting familiar. Such a hardship.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:05 PM

72 posts, read 137,979 times
As someone who is considering a move to the area in the next few years, I'm thrilled to hear of a Whole Foods opening.

Where I live, I have a few somewhat close by. I've also been to the grand opening in Tallahassee (just happened to be visiting a friend in the same week) and recently to Austin. All have their own stamp as far as their layout and some of their offerings. But their business model derives from all natural with an emphasis on organic. I took a tour one time at my local one as they wanted to show how you can shop at Whole Foods on a budget (that's me!). They also explained that no matter what product is in their store, not one contains any artificial ingredient. So at least there's that.

I do agree with people who have stated that it is more pricey. So you do have to shop around. I do get a lot of my produce and seafood there yet shop around for other things and go to farmers markets a lot as well.

I noticed, too, that the newer ones seem to be opening with more varieties/stations - such as the beer and wine station, coffee station, gelato, etc. whereas none of that is at the ones near me.

I'm bummed because I was just there in October vacationing in the Orange Beach area and didn't realize WF had opened.

Did I hear someone mention there might be a Trader Joe's to open down the road?

Anyway, congrats on getting a WF's. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 PM

265 posts, read 428,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country-n-Sunshine View Post
As someone who is considering a move to the area in the next few years, I'm thrilled to hear of a Whole Foods opening.

Where I live, I have a few somewhat close by. I've also been to the grand opening in Tallahassee (just happened to be visiting a friend in the same week) and recently to Austin. All have their own stamp as far as their layout and some of their offerings. But their business model derives from all natural with an emphasis on organic. I took a tour one time at my local one as they wanted to show how you can shop at Whole Foods on a budget (that's me!). They also explained that no matter what product is in their store, not one contains any artificial ingredient. So at least there's that.

I do agree with people who have stated that it is more pricey. So you do have to shop around. I do get a lot of my produce and seafood there yet shop around for other things and go to farmers markets a lot as well.

I noticed, too, that the newer ones seem to be opening with more varieties/stations - such as the beer and wine station, coffee station, gelato, etc. whereas none of that is at the ones near me.

I'm bummed because I was just there in October vacationing in the Orange Beach area and didn't realize WF had opened.

Did I hear someone mention there might be a Trader Joe's to open down the road?

Anyway, congrats on getting a WF's. I hope everyone enjoys it.
Where are you living now if you don't mind me asking? I and many here are thrilled for WF's and are aching for tj's

Old 11-04-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowboy View Post
Where are you living now if you don't mind me asking? I and many here are thrilled for WF's and are aching for tj's
not at all - I live in MA.

You have a beautiful area down there - I'm already planning my next visit.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 PM

275 posts, read 536,206 times
Quote:

Quote:

Hi there! I grew up on the South Shore (Weymouth and Norwell) and graduated from BC. We've been here most of the last 40 years, though we visit MA as often as possible (family mainly in the Plymouth area now.) Though I desperately miss fall in New England, I couldn't do the winters again.

Folks here are friendly, there are lots of good restaurants, and you're already familiar with the beautiful beaches. The area is finally starting to realize its potential. Good time to move here, I think.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemom52 View Post
Hi there! I grew up on the South Shore (Weymouth and Norwell) and graduated from BC. We've been here most of the last 40 years, though we visit MA as often as possible (family mainly in the Plymouth area now.) Though I desperately miss fall in New England, I couldn't do the winters again.

Folks here are friendly, there are lots of good restaurants, and you're already familiar with the beautiful beaches. The area is finally starting to realize its potential. Good time to move here, I think.
I grew up about 30 minutes south of you! And as a matter of fact, I will be going to Plymouth this Saturday for a friend's birthday.

New England certainly has its charm but I'm ready for a change.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 AM

310 posts, read 387,831 times
Unfortunately, the Trader Joe's was just a rumor. Presently, the nearest one is in Baton Rouge.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM

562 posts, read 666,115 times
Metairie will be getting a TJs next year, so it will be an hour closer!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
the episode of south Park that makes fun of Whole Foods comes to mind right now....A lot of hype. finally got that TJ's here in Birmingham, and it's great and all, but I guess, at 40, it just looks like another place to TAKE your money, rather than places to MAKE money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area