Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowboy View Post
Hahahaha thanks and I sure would I do wish we could get a Macy's or Nordstrom Rack or Von MAur, but those are all pipe dreams, but I'm content with the Flagship Belk that we will have in bel Air in the soon to be former sears spot. When is the Hoover WF's opening and what will be it's square footage and what will be its unique features? Also, I hope Birmingham gets a Dillard's and/or a full-line Nordstrom and Banana Republic reopens at either Riverchase Galleria or Brookwood mall, or opens at The Pinnacle shops.
Well, you have brought up a lot, so I will see what I can do.

Pipe dream?; so were many businesses in all other cities at one time. We have things I never dreamed of. It is all about time and the expansion of the retail industry in general. (of course they want to be EVERYWHERE, but they have to afford that)

The Riverchase WF is 50,000 sq. ft. plus a little addition going in up front. A little larger than the MB store which is eight years old, and serving a larger demographic. I'm expecting something new based on what I have seen at the Corp. store in DT Austin and in the remodeled Greenlife store in Chattanooga.
The MB store has the 'sushi dining area', and the Brasserie, which is the greatest. You can bring anything to the cooks and if there is a seat have them prepare a meal for you. Or just sit down and order from the menu. You have the pizza oven, and bakery which are standards. Next to that the gelato is a frequent stop for me. It is the richest. The salad and hot food bars are a great convenience and often have some really good and special items. They also have a roasted meat counter that is self serve and very tempting including pulled pork shredded and whole chicken, wings, drumsticks, shredded beef, roasted potatoes and several sauces.

I too want to see Dillard's in Birmingham because when we go below Saks or Von Maur, Belk is all that we have. The two flagships are nice but not the others. I believe they are not here due to the history of Parisian. I have been told they had agreed to stay out of each others home territories, but I have heard that about other chains, so I don't know. Right now there are not locations for them, but we expect that to change in the next five years as the economy proves itself. (or not)

If Belk sells out as was reported earlier this year, you can expect to find Nordstrom taking their store at the Summit. Jeffrey Bayer, the owner, brought Nordstrom Rack to one of his managed properties just down the street. He is very focused on them and mostly gets what he goes after.
Banana Republic opened a new concept store at the Summit to make room for Trader Joe's. So I don't think we will see them back in Brookwood, they are only a mile and a half apart. Of course BR has just left the Galleria so that won't work, but they just opened a huge new concept American Eagle there. It is amazing how these stores evolve.

I don't think the Pinnacle will ever be more than it is, a JCP/Belk center. It's location on that hill above the expressway. Even locals have a hard time figuring out how to get there.

A big new center is planned beyond there at Deerfoot. (owned by Bayer) Another large new center is planned just out I-20 toward Atlanta, owned by Jim Wilson. Both of these are candidates for Dillard's. But Nordstrom will only locate between Riverchase and Mountain Brook.

I'm assuming by your interests that you know that Brookwood is under a massive redo as Bel Air is. New ownership can be a wonderful thing. Especially when you are getting rid of Colonial Properties Trust. lol

Well, this was long. I hope I answered you questions (and more) and put everyone else to sleep.

edited to add; Riverchase WF opens next Spring, diagonally across from the Galleria.
WF......I have seen wrap sandwich stations and would like to see that add to either of our stores.

The Flagship Belks are very nice. Ours fortunately are both former Parisians and have the original exteriors. The new one in Huntsville is terrible, it looks like a big box store. (not in the classic tradition of department store design) And someone in Greenville S.C. told me that in redoing the Haywood Mall store it got that same horrible exterior.
Let's hope they clean and freshen the Sears building exterior and leave it alone.

Last edited by preguntas; 09-25-2015 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 PM

386 posts, read 1,217,286 times
The variety is very welcomed, especially on the fresh foods and meats. However, I priced eight of my most common items I buy which I can purchase from Publix and Fresh Market which Whole Foods carried as well (I didnt purchase them). For the same eight items I would have spent $16.88 more than an Fresh Market, and $19.04 more than at Publix. One can of tomato sauce I even found at a Greers for .95 cents was $3.79 at Whole Foods.. even I was like.. WTF! I for one will check it out time from time, but as for being a regular....not happening. Prices even for organics are too inflated.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 AM

240 posts, read 466,630 times
yeah...eating healthy is hella expensive, which is why America has such a high obesity rate...

Old 09-28-2015, 09:31 AM

310 posts, read 388,045 times
Having been accustomed to monthly visits to the Whole Foods in Metarie, I was disappointed by Mobile's selection. There were many items they simply do not carry that I will continue to have to buy in either Metarie or at Everman's in Pensacola. On the plus side, they did have some organic products that were otherwise not available in Mobile so that does help.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:36 PM

275 posts, read 536,334 times
I just came back from my first trip there today. I loved it, but it certainly won't be my "go to" grocery store due to the prices. That said, I love the quality and the items that you generally don't find anywhere else. I was disappointed that there were relatively few whole grain items in their bakery (there were a few more in the packaged bread aisle.) I'd thought they'd have plenty. Not a single whole grain roll to be found, unless they had sold out. I did have to cover my eyes and hurry past the pastries and gelato. Yum.

Many of their employees could stand to take customer service lessons from Publix, as well. Not rude at all, just not particularly welcoming, for the most part.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemom52 View Post
I just came back from my first trip there today. I loved it, but it certainly won't be my "go to" grocery store due to the prices. That said, I love the quality and the items that you generally don't find anywhere else. I was disappointed that there were relatively few whole grain items in their bakery (there were a few more in the packaged bread aisle.) I'd thought they'd have plenty. Not a single whole grain roll to be found, unless they had sold out. I did have to cover my eyes and hurry past the pastries and gelato. Yum.

Many of their employees could stand to take customer service lessons from Publix, as well. Not rude at all, just not particularly welcoming, for the most part.

This is just a matter of getting to know a store. You will find most whole grain baked goods in refrigeration shelves as they have NO preservatives and spoil very fast. This is usually a free standing area not near other baked goods or refrigerated foods.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
Having been accustomed to monthly visits to the Whole Foods in Metarie, I was disappointed by Mobile's selection. There were many items they simply do not carry that I will continue to have to buy in either Metarie or at Everman's in Pensacola. On the plus side, they did have some organic products that were otherwise not available in Mobile so that does help.

They will carry anything you ask for, especially anything you were buying at another WF store.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southinyourmouth View Post
yeah...eating healthy is hella expensive, which is why America has such a high obesity rate...
actually eating healthy can be incredibly cheap. you can get all your caloric needs pretty cheaply. go buy some bags of rice, bags of beans, chicken, milk, bananas, broccoli, and pasta and tell me it isn't dirt cheap.

whole foods isn't cheap. but there are plenty of things at whole foods that aren't healthy, and plenty of healthy things you can get at places a lot cheaper than whole foods.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:08 AM

275 posts, read 536,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
This is just a matter of getting to know a store. You will find most whole grain baked goods in refrigeration shelves as they have NO preservatives and spoil very fast. This is usually a free standing area not near other baked goods or refrigerated foods.
That's good to know; I didn't see anything like this yesterday, but that could be because it was still pretty crowded and difficult to maneuver around.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemom52 View Post
That's good to know; I didn't see anything like this yesterday, but that could be because it was still pretty crowded and difficult to maneuver around.

I missed it the first few times too up in Birmingham. I was looking for gluten free and I was stunned they had none. lol

I think learning about what they don't carry is helpful in remembering what they do. A lot of the chemicals we take for granted and just accept keep many items out of their stores. It can be a little frustrating.
WF is like a boutique compared to a department store. So no one, not even WF expects you to do all your shopping their.

PS; their whole grain, real preservative free fig newtons are one of the best things I have ever had. They make the ones in the box really pitiful. They are in the bulk bins, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area