Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:59 AM

490 posts, read 464,486 times

Advertisements

Aww, that sucks. It figures though. I was probably giving Publix too much credit and those other places.  I wish everyone would think like us when it came to urban planning..... At least the planning department. I know that is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 AM

50 posts, read 59,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Just saw that publix is being constructed near downtown Pensacola east hill neighborhood. 28,000 square feet smaller urban store that will have parking in rear, outdoor seating, and lot line construction. WHY NOT HERE!!!! I'm so sick of people around here thinking that we have to be happy just to be getting something. I would rather wait until a real developer that cared about the community comes along and does something with it. This is the beauty of our neighborhood we are talking about. What makes me mad is that Dianne Irby with the planning department basically said the community needs to be realistic and accept the plans. She is crazy!!! Obviously she doesn't do her job if she doesn't know publix is building urban stores in Nashville, P-Cola, and Charlotte. Hell, I think b-ham is getting one. I'm really upset.

I agree that we shouldn't sacrifice getting the design and concepts that fit the neighborhood and the things that have been expressed in the Design Old Shell Road plan. Having developments that are forward-thinking will help maintain the character of the neighborhood while providing the needed services that we all desire.

Those of us on this forum, if we haven't already done so, should let our city representatives and the Planning Commission know that we can do better. It's time to step up our efforts to achieve the type of aesthetics and character that are critical for midtown without the fear of losing potential developments. I feel that with adequate dialogue and communication, a better design and plan can be derived that will be a win-win for both developer and the citizens.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:20 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
It can be done ,the councilmen act as if they are pro formed based code but sometimes their actions don`t show that. I live less than a mile from the new proposed Publix and that store will be our go to place to shop. If it could be done in other cities it can be done here.

I`m not saying that this design would fit in that area but this is an example of what they capable of doing : https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...59603470815834

This MetroJacksonville article has a great write up regarding this issue :Demolition in Five Points? | Metro Jacksonville

Publix project in midtown Mobile creates stir
Quote:
More than 200 residents, including representatives with Midtown Mobile Movement, showed up to a public hearing on Monday at the New Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church to learn more about the proposed development. Some left disappointed with what they saw.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....rt_river_index

Last edited by PortCity; 04-01-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
The new downtown store in Birmingham couldn't get more urban; at 35,000 sq. ft., it has five levels of parking on top of the store, and three levels of apartments on top of the parking. And it meets the sidewalk on that corner.
Publix is not afraid to go vertical. Several stores in Florida, North Carolina, and Tennessee are at least two levels with the store above or below parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas
But to be honest, all 'urban' Publix stores don't have the urban panache. The fairly new one in Greenville S.C. is part of a development that looks a lot like a small suburban shopping area, and it does sit in a sea of parking.
Publix #1148, McBee Station, 400 East McBee Avenue Suite 100, Greenville, South Carolina 29601-2940, is a nice store. Its parking, at store level, occupies the top level of a parking structure with the lower level for residents only. Its space has been maximized to the point it does not feel like a cramped store.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix is not afraid to go vertical. Several stores in Florida, North Carolina, and Tennessee are at least two levels with the store above or below parking.
I agree; there's a Publix in downtown Orlando that serves many residents that live within the area, it's Urban, and it fits the aesthetic of that particular neighborhood/street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5420...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I actually admire how the residents within Midtown Mobile are holding their ground and taking a stand. It also seems as if an Urban development will cost less than the actual Suburban development they want to implement within the neighborhood. But still, those developers think they know what's best for Midtown Mobile than the actual residents who live there, it shows their stubbornness against new and innovative ideas.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Publix #1148, McBee Station, 400 East McBee Avenue Suite 100, Greenville, South Carolina 29601-2940, is a nice store. Its parking, at store level, occupies the top level of a parking structure with the lower level for residents only. Its space has been maximized to the point it does not feel like a cramped store.

I would not mention a place I have not been. (many times) McBee Station would have been nice twenty years ago.

They had enough land to do something like Twickenham in Huntsville, also anchored by Publix. McBee had a chance to extend the Main street feel down the hill and did not do so. Despite meeting the lot line in the front, the parking was not done creatively as well as no architecture on that side, despite facing the apartments. And the Staples is simply a small, big box store, no design. Parking is certainly big enough that it is one of the things one remembers about the place, not well integrated. Of course I had my critical cap on when I saw it first, because I had read about it on the forum. (those posters don't know what urban can be.)

Matured landscaping in time may help it, but they dropped the ball on the parking.

(and the horrible parking lot entrance to the Publix that requires sideswiping everyone going in the opposite direction. Twickenham was built just about four years later and they obviously tweaked the errors in ways such as generous entrances on two sides.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM

688 posts, read 1,206,182 times
More info on the new Downtown waterfront apartments:

'Transformative' apartment project largest for downtown Mobile since 1950s | AL.com

I hope Starbucks or some high quality coffee house is incorporated into the project.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 21,719 times
That seems like a horrible location.

Forgive me naiveness, not as apt to downtown as some, but why couldn't a decent complex go in this area (rid of the Regions)? A level or 2 for parking (or eat up some that parking lot behind if only 1 level of parking). Some studios on the bottom X number of floors. Move up to some 1 BR levels, then move up to some 2 BR+ at the top levels.

Again, just asking. Makes more sense, on the right side of Water St, 4 blocks from Dauphin. IF you're going to build in that area of Water (which I can't find appealing at all). And, hey, another decent semi-to-moderate highrise on the west side of Water.

Maybe zoning, I dunno. But that space seems so wasted anyway. Maybe not 200-whatever units, but could be a nice highrise, in a semi-better location than considered.
Attached Thumbnails
Midtown Developments-downtown_apts.jpg  

Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM

50 posts, read 59,535 times
Midtown Mobile Movement Releases Vision for Old Shell Road Development

Here is more info on the area and the design concepts for development along Old Shell Road.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve57 View Post

Here is more info on the area and the design concepts for development along Old Shell Road.

I favor both A&B concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area