Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

I would like to know thoughts on Allentown in semmes. We are building there and I am a little worried about sending my child there. He now attends J.E. Turner, which is a great school. I have heard two sides about Allentown. One side it that it is a great school and the teachers are wonderful. The other is that the teachers and staff are rude and negative to the children there, just negative attitudes. Please let me know if this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM

247 posts, read 1,109,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb1979 View Post
I would like to know thoughts on Allentown in semmes. We are building there and I am a little worried about sending my child there. He now attends J.E. Turner, which is a great school. I have heard two sides about Allentown. One side it that it is a great school and the teachers are wonderful. The other is that the teachers and staff are rude and negative to the children there, just negative attitudes. Please let me know if this is true.
Well, it's been a long time since we've been there (son just graduated from high school) 1998-2003, but I've still got friends who live over there. Never heard anything bad... used to live close by on that little lake in Scenic Lake Estates off Howell's Ferry.

Mrs. Cleveland is now the principal and was there for a long time before that and was well-liked.

Teachers were firm, but I never had a problem with my 2 very different children- one brilliant and one with a good bit of learning problems.

The big key is that they don't allow transfers in from elsewhere. They are one of the few schools that don't; I don't know why they seem to be able to continue that. This is really great because you have a true community school. Not very diverse, though.

They have this great piece of property and parents are all very involved- money is flowing. Facility is beautiful and kids have cared well for it.

It's funny, but many people in the area sent their children to nearby Faith Academy, a private school that is not very good. I've been in both and the only choice would be Allentown. Plus class sizes in public are required to be low. I'm sure more are going to Allentown now because no educated person would believe that Faith Academy was better than public. I saw some rough kids at Faith Academy when we were there, much worse than any I've EVER seen in public! I swear I think they were kicked out of public and then went to Faith.

The bummer for me was Semmes Middle school because all kinds of other (rougher) elementary schools from Lott Road, etc. are funneled into that one. The schools are fine though with solid academic choices (this means: take advanced classes 6th grade and up!!) Some of us left and went to Phillips Prep. - the magnet academic school, then on to Murphy High for their IB program. I liked being in town so much we moved downtown.

It's a pretty area- good luck with your house! We built 2 houses there.

Where is JE Turner Elem.- must be new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area