Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM

858 posts, read 585,192 times

Advertisements

Okay so the Office of Management and Budget were High AF when they made the Mobile County and Baldwin County metros.

Alright first Baldwin County already checks all the boxes to join Mobile metro, including a +25% commuter rate, hell their Urban Areas physically touch between Mobile and Spanish Fort

So the Baldwin County MPO (Metropolitan Planning Area) is actually called the Eastern Shore MPO, what is consider the "metro" of Baldwin County is exclusively the Eastern Shore and only includes Fairhope, Spanish Fort, Daphne, and Loxley....

The Eastern Shore is what the metro area is for Baldwin County.... yet it is the area that has commuter rates of 35-45% into Mobile, the same amount as what goes from Shelby County to Jefferson County in Birmingham. The Beach area, which may have strong economic relationships with Mobile, it is at least somewhat autonomous. It is not a part the technical metro area. Foley, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Robertsdale, and Bay Minette are not a part of the Eastern Shore MPO (for reference, Citronelle is the only city not in the Mobile MPO).

Roughly half of the population of Baldwin County isn't in the MPO. Which means only half the residents will receive funding from the federal government for being in a metro area. Foley is a principal city of the Daphne-Fairhope-Foley metropolitan area (the official government name) but its does not receive a DIME in funding from the feds because its not a part of the Eastern Shore MPO. Meaning that it is a part of the metro but ehhhhhhh not really, neither does Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Robertsdale, or Bay Minette. All that funding is restricted to the areas that makes up the Eastern Shore.... Which again is the portion of Baldwin County where nearly half of the residents work in Mobile County.

Hilariously, the Eastern Shore MPO building is in Robertsdale, a city that's not a part of the MPO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 11:41 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
I too have wondered about this, but I assume they have some data that correlates.

I know this, back when I was younger driving to the beach, when I got to Mobile, I mistakenly thought I was almost there. NOPE. Probably due to getting off 2-lane 45 onto the 4-lane 65.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:49 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Okay so the Office of Management and Budget were High AF when they made the Mobile County and Baldwin County metros.

Alright first Baldwin County already checks all the boxes to join Mobile metro, including a +25% commuter rate, hell their Urban Areas physically touch between Mobile and Spanish Fort

So the Baldwin County MPO (Metropolitan Planning Area) is actually called the Eastern Shore MPO, what is consider the "metro" of Baldwin County is exclusively the Eastern Shore and only includes Fairhope, Spanish Fort, Daphne, and Loxley....

The Eastern Shore is what the metro area is for Baldwin County.... yet it is the area that has commuter rates of 35-45% into Mobile, the same amount as what goes from Shelby County to Jefferson County in Birmingham. The Beach area, which may have strong economic relationships with Mobile, it is at least somewhat autonomous. It is not a part the technical metro area. Foley, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Robertsdale, and Bay Minette are not a part of the Eastern Shore MPO (for reference, Citronelle is the only city not in the Mobile MPO).

Roughly half of the population of Baldwin County isn't in the MPO. Which means only half the residents will receive funding from the federal government for being in a metro area. Foley is a principal city of the Daphne-Fairhope-Foley metropolitan area (the official government name) but its does not receive a DIME in funding from the feds because its not a part of the Eastern Shore MPO. Meaning that it is a part of the metro but ehhhhhhh not really, neither does Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Robertsdale, or Bay Minette. All that funding is restricted to the areas that makes up the Eastern Shore.... Which again is the portion of Baldwin County where nearly half of the residents work in Mobile County.

Hilariously, the Eastern Shore MPO building is in Robertsdale, a city that's not a part of the MPO
One issue may be that Baldwin County is so large in area - almost 1600 sq miles, large enough for two good-sized counties. Part of the country is truly part of Mobile, part beach (and that's a significant part) and part quie rural. Nevertheless, I suspect Baldwin will be included in the Mobile metro when they're redefined next year.

It's similar here. Morgan County should be included, and most even think of Huntsville-Decatur as being one. Huntsville city limits even extend a small amount into Morgan County, Huntsville and Decatur city limits touch in Limestone County. So by the same token, they'll probably be combined fairly soon. I suspect a large part of the Mazda/Toyota workforce lives in Morgan County, so that could get things to the 25% point.

You have to wonder about metro definitions at times. The Jackson, MS, metro has 7 counties and well over 5,000 square miles - even larger in area than Birmingham's metro. I suppose Jackson is THE major city in Mississippi so draws employees from the far reaches, but it still seems like overkill. On the other hand, Huntsville's metro is only 1300 square miles, and is not the economic center of Alabama. I guess we'll see how things are defined about this time next year (I think that's when metros will be redefined, based on the 2020 Census).

Old 05-26-2022, 07:28 PM

489 posts, read 463,479 times
You know that Orange Beach is in the Pensacola MPO. A Metropolitan Planning Organization is different from the statistical area. If some of the downtown census tracts were combined there would be a good chance that the Eastern Shore MPO would be absorbed by the Mobile MPO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area