Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,096 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recall the restaurant Pop Cochan's Old Corral, between Mobile and Prichard. Time period would be late 50's to late 60's. It was basically BBQ similar to Dick Russells or Bens BBQ.
You might recall the chuck wagon in the front of parking lot. If anyone has a photograph, please post it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solumn_eagle View Post
Wasn't the Loop Theater pink? The last movie I saw there was Dark Shadows in the late 60's I believe. I have been trying to picture the old Loop Theater, and as I recall it was Pink. I may be wrong. Anybody out there remember the color? It's really driving me crazy. Thanks
you are so right, the Loop theater was pink. We lived directly behind Johnny's Drive Inn and cound w6alk to the Loop theater. There was also a Skating Rink on the corner of Grant St and Williams St. God, this all brings back so many memories of growing up down there.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,518 times
i remember Tony's pizza on the corner of old shell and McGregor right next to Cammies Old Dutch back in the day (of course it seems like it used to be across the street) and their old building is across the street from where Pollmans bakery is now. Dont know how long that's been there. used to be a gas station/ car dealership on the other corner for years. near A&P grocery store. also Hong Kong Chinese restaurant that had the best sweet and sour pork and lemon chicken, and egg drop soup and the best shrimp egg rolls with cabbage! Packed with shrimp!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,518 times
oh wait. and Paulette's bottle shop and Babes hot dogs and Toast of the town and there was a pizza place near Paulette's bottle shop that had the best pizza on hwy 45 at craft hwy before you got to Prichard.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,648 times
Grew up in Mobile when the downtown area still had SEARS, Gayfers, Woolworth, Kresses....

I did a ton of theatre there at the Mobile Guild, JJP, The Entertainer, Pixie Playhouse and the short-lived Stagedoor Dinner Theatre. Great childhood memories for sure.

My house still stands at 501 Government Street.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
I remember Mr ****, Joe.. That was David's father. He was friends to Mr. Berson, the owner of Rafael's. Mr. Joe worked for Friedman's and somewhere else, I've forgotten, but it was another jeweler. He was married to Florence Ross ****. They are the great grand parents to my oldest daughter. I'm looking for any info on the **** family, please. Mr. Joe and Mrs. Florence had 3 children, David, who was adopted, Alison, who has passed away and Abigail, the youngest. The only addresses I have found for the family were the first address here in Mobile, an apartment building on Monterey, that still stands. The second address was the family home on Wimbledon Drive. I can actually remember them living in that house. I can remember it had a very fancy pool in the back

Last edited by toosie; 10-28-2017 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: No links or personal email

Old 10-22-2017, 06:17 PM

13 posts, read 75,957 times
Did this family used to own David's Jewelry in Springdale Mall?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Grew up in Mobile. Left there in 84. Never really liked Mobile. Always seems there were two classes: those who had money and those that didn't. And those that had money controlled everything. I wonder if it's still impossible to be royalty in Mardi Gras unless you had a relative who had been royalty. Quite a closed society.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,856,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
And those that had money controlled everything.
And how is this different from basically anywhere else?

Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Grew up in Mobile. Left there in 84. Never really liked Mobile. Always seems there were two classes: those who had money and those that didn't. And those that had money controlled everything. I wonder if it's still impossible to be royalty in Mardi Gras unless you had a relative who had been royalty. Quite a closed society.
A lot has changed in 33 years. Some of the older 150 + year of Mardi Grad societies maybe no but there are tons of newer ones where those rules don't apply also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area