Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,827 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have been accepted to USA and will have to live in the dorms. I was wondering about how safe they are. I have, of course, emailed the university about it but I was looking for neutral opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 81,634 times
It really comes down to you individually. Every year a huge number of new people show up, so every year there is a fresh crop of unknowables.

As a whole, it's not bad, just don't wander off into Hillsdale without someone who knows that twisty curvy neighborhood VERY well. the deeper west you get into it, the more dangerous it becomes.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,325 times
What about the apts across the street "RobinWood. An old man was moving out and he told me he would pay two months ($485 month)and the deposit if someone wanted to take over the seven month lease. He gave me a phone number Moderator cut: phone # and told me he was moving this week. The apts seem nice and the people seem to be ok. Many of them have small pets. Do you think that area would be ok?

Last edited by Keeper; 06-24-2009 at 05:12 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times
My advice is to try and ask a few students or so. I'm sure a lot of colleges have dorms with some bad reps. But the best advice is the advice they commonly give about staying safe. Know your surroundings, use good judgment, don't leave valuables around especially books.

And yes, be very careful during book selling season. A lot of people had books stolen in the dorm I stayed in my first semester, but I kept mine locked up.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOOKS UNATTENDED. May seem trivial, but you wouldn't believe how many people here have had books stolen all because they didn't...sorry lol, I'm going on and on here.

But really, just use good judgment and email the oncampus PD concerning the dorms and all.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
It`s safe I`m a current student.Hillsdale isn`t a war zone that is being over exadurated, It`s a neighborhood off of Cody rd. I travel that road almost daily The school it self is in a good area period.

Try the Grove which are student apartments,and they`re new.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 PM

Oh god NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT sign with the Grove. They are the worst possible place to rent from. Trust me, the stuff they offer is not worth the million of headaches that come. Do a Google search on the problems with Campus Crest, owners of The Grove and you'll see.

Tc and any other person looking for student apartments, save yourself the trouble and avoid The Grove. After two years at this hellhole in my location, I am READY to move asap.

But don't take my word for it. Here's proof:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...ts-722665.html

http://www.jaxnews.com/news/2008/jn-...-8b27l4739.htm

http://media.www.usavanguard.com/med...-3079176.shtml

Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Former student of USA Jags - bachelor's and master's (so I spent alot of time there). The dorms are fine. Robinwood is fine. You will not be killed living in Hillsdale, but it is kind of ghetto. I would suggest the dorms or Robinwood as both are easy walks to where you need to go (of course you could still drive if you wanted). If you chose other apartments off Old Shell or if you chose Hillsdale, you would have to drive.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 AM

I'm considering transferring to USA since it was my first school of choice before I was unable to attend. Is it a really good school?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
I'm considering transferring to USA since it was my first school of choice before I was unable to attend. Is it a really good school?
Where are you attending now so that it can be compared to USA? What program are you looking to get in?

In general, USA is a good school, imo - and it is constantly improving. It lacks the typical "Big University Atmosphere" of major state schools, but it is catching up in that regard each year. However, the school itself is moderately large and it is very nice. I value the education that I received there, but I can only speak from personal experience.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm at JSU in Jacksonville, Alabama. I'm looking to either continue with business with a mahor Finance or go into Meteorology. I haven't moved into any 300 classes since I'm still doing my core. And I'll be looking to transfer next fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area