Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 29,106 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am in the midst of interviews for a job in Livingston, MT. The likely hood of getting an offer keeps looking better everyday, so I thought I would get on here and seek advice.

First, let me tell you a little about me. I have been to Montana (and through Livingston) twice. I absolutely love this area your state. I understand Livingston can be quite windy... I suppose I will get used to that. I live about 40 minutes from Athens (a town with about 25000 people). The roads here are all considered 'back roads' and have VERY sharp winding blind curves. I have driven the Bozeman Pass and find that is curvy..not winding like the roads here, but has steeper grades.. (a friend from Montana just visited and said the roads here were very curvy, so I am assuming that means the roads here are worse in that sense than in Montana). I live in the only house on 'my' dirt road that does not get plowed in the winter which requires 4wd to attempt and if you are lucky you might make it to the top of the road, so I am fairly comfortable driving in winter weather. I have 3 dogs and a cat (Although I am trying to find a home for one dog as he is a foster dog and my cat ). I have no immediate neighbors and like it that way. Crime in the town of Athens is pretty high for a small town, but it is mostly ignorant college students. On the other hand, there is a pretty big Meth/Cocaine problem, high rate of drunks and theft in the rural areas due to the extreme high rate of poverty..(can't afford to pay their bills but always find a way to drugs and alcohol.. never fails) I am looking to find a place to live in Livingston for myself and my dogs. I cannot afford high rent ($450 or lower), but I do not need a fancy place to live. I live pretty simple. I have 21+ years of horse experience and I am not opposed to living somewhere that I would have to help with ranch chores on weekends and possibly during the week (the hours I will work would be in the time frame of M-F 730-630) or care for property for an absentee owner. I would prefer to live away from town is possible. If I have to live in town, is there a 'better' part of town to live in? I currently pay $208/month on a budget plan for my electric, I have well water and a septic, my phone/cable is about $160/month (I wouldn't have my phone but there is no cell service here). How do these compare to Montana (if that is possible to compare). Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information to help answer my questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you from Ohio.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klh3207 View Post
Hi everyone, I am in the midst of interviews for a job in Livingston, MT. The likely hood of getting an offer keeps looking better everyday, so I thought I would get on here and seek advice.

First, let me tell you a little about me. I have been to Montana (and through Livingston) twice. I absolutely love this area your state. I understand Livingston can be quite windy... I suppose I will get used to that. I live about 40 minutes from Athens (a town with about 25000 people). The roads here are all considered 'back roads' and have VERY sharp winding blind curves. I have driven the Bozeman Pass and find that is curvy..not winding like the roads here, but has steeper grades.. (a friend from Montana just visited and said the roads here were very curvy, so I am assuming that means the roads here are worse in that sense than in Montana). I live in the only house on 'my' dirt road that does not get plowed in the winter which requires 4wd to attempt and if you are lucky you might make it to the top of the road, so I am fairly comfortable driving in winter weather. I have 3 dogs and a cat (Although I am trying to find a home for one dog as he is a foster dog and my cat ). I have no immediate neighbors and like it that way. Crime in the town of Athens is pretty high for a small town, but it is mostly ignorant college students. On the other hand, there is a pretty big Meth/Cocaine problem, high rate of drunks and theft in the rural areas due to the extreme high rate of poverty..(can't afford to pay their bills but always find a way to drugs and alcohol.. never fails) I am looking to find a place to live in Livingston for myself and my dogs. I cannot afford high rent ($450 or lower), but I do not need a fancy place to live. I live pretty simple. I have 21+ years of horse experience and I am not opposed to living somewhere that I would have to help with ranch chores on weekends and possibly during the week (the hours I will work would be in the time frame of M-F 730-630) or care for property for an absentee owner. I would prefer to live away from town is possible. If I have to live in town, is there a 'better' part of town to live in? I currently pay $208/month on a budget plan for my electric, I have well water and a septic, my phone/cable is about $160/month (I wouldn't have my phone but there is no cell service here). How do these compare to Montana (if that is possible to compare). Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information to help answer my questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you from Ohio.
Well hi and welcome to the forum;
Here is an older thread to get you started.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/monta...n-montana.html
good luck!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Howdy Kelly.

I can't offer you much advice about the Livingston area, but you've done a good job researching and comparing your current digs to what you may find in Montana. Livingston can be a fairly pricey place to live, but your idea of living/working on a ranch to cover living expenses. Of course, the same approach would work in other parts of the state, subject to finding employment, etc., etc.

Good luck and arrive soon! We can always use another good neighbor!

mg

Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Mt-7 - Thank you very much. I have read that post along with all the others I could find on Livingston. Would you say that these posts that are 2+ years old still hold truth to them, or have things changed at all? In a more recent post, I read that there is a problem with drug dealers and violence in Livingston. Coming from a small rural area myself I know how people tend to blow things out of proportion when it disrupts the more quite life we live, so is there truth to the problem or is it being blow out of proportion?

montygarlic- Thank you very much for your reply. I hope to land the job soon. Do you have any suggestions on how to find a place that may need live-in help? I tried looking on craigslist, but like here in rural Appalachia most don't use the internet and even the local newspapers are hard to find anything in.. It is more or less word of mouth which I assume is the same in Montana.. You don't happen to know anyone in the area within 30 minutes drive (1hour winter drive time) would you?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Mt-7 - Thank you very much. I have read that post along with all the others I could find on Livingston. Would you say that these posts that are 2+ years old still hold truth to them, or have things changed at all? In a more recent post, I read that there is a problem with drug dealers and violence in Livingston. Coming from a small rural area myself I know how people tend to blow things out of proportion when it disrupts the more quite life we live, so is there truth to the problem or is it being blow out of proportion?

montygarlic- Thank you very much for your reply. I hope to land the job soon. Do you have any suggestions on how to find a place that may need live-in help? I tried looking on craigslist, but like here in rural Appalachia most don't use the internet and even the local newspapers are hard to find anything in.. It is more or less word of mouth which I assume is the same in Montana.. You don't happen to know anyone in the area within 30 minutes drive (1hour winter drive time) would you?
I don't know anyone in Livingston area that could help, but here are two suggestions:

1)Consult the Caretaker Gazette

2)Contact Property Management firms and Realtors in the area you would like to live. Both will have some owners looking for your type of help, especially if you are good with horses.

(Google is your friend, because, even though not everyone "uses" the Internet directly, the opportunities can still be found through creative searching.)
And don't overlook the considerable resources of City-Data.com

mg

Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 AM

MG- Thanks for the suggestions! I will get to work right now! I have my 3rd interview today at 5pm eastern, so I will know more of how likely it is I will be offered the job. The company requires an in-person interview, so I will know if I get ask to come out there that I pretty much will have the job unless I blow the in-person interview haha.. If not, then my search continues and perhaps I will be looking in your area for work! I am not opposed to living in NWMT either I live in the 'moutains' (here they aren't quite as big haha) now and would prefer to live in the mountains there, but the sky is the limit I am optimistic I will find what I am supposed to find and end up where I am supposed to end up! I guess once I know for sure where I will end up I will start a forum to look for a live-in situation! Thanks again!

Kelly

Old 10-21-2010, 06:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Funny you should mention that about the roads. Montana's idea of a curvey road is mighty straight compared to most places. Montana did a much better job of straightening out those mountain goat tracks, to make them automobile-friendly when they got paved back-when, than any other place I've ever been. A curvey road in MT can be driven at a reasonable speed, 30-40mph, and has passing lanes in the logical places. A curvey road in a similar-terrain part of California is a 15-20mph road, and the passing lanes, if any, are mostly in useless places!

As to crime, MT's idea of a high crime rate wouldn't amount to much of anything most places.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the input Reziac. Yes, very true about the 'curvy' roads. I found it very funny when my friend visited and was taken back by what real curvy roads are like. haha

Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
MG- Thanks for the suggestions!

Kelly
You are entirely welcome.

We aim to please around here.

Be forewarned: We sometimes miss.

mg

Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
I was born and raised in the Livingston area, but left a long time ago.

I still know a lot of people there. The rent you indicated, $450/month will not get you a great place, but you can find housing if you look hard enough.
No I don't know anybody who is renting at this time, sorry.

There are a couple small towns within 30 minutes of Livingston, (Clyde Park, Wilsall, Pray, Emmigrant, Big Timber), finding a place to house sit may be do-able, but don't count on it right away. It will probably take some looking.
I would say Big Timber is your best bet for selection and price at this time.
Plus, it is 4 lane hwy between Livingston and Big Timber so the travel isn't bad.

Livingston is a spendy area and acts as a suburb to Bozeman so real estate and housing costs are high.

North and East are better bets for more reasonable prices. South down the valley and West toward Bozeman are high rent districts.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana