Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I didn't realize Northwest MT was that semi-arid?
In certain places it can be very arid, (like here on the C.S.K.T. reservation, spanning portions of three counties !)
This photo I took out in the middle of our valley near Wild Horse Hot Springs Resort, looking west at the southern end of The Cabinet Mountains.
I hiked up to the top of that snow covered peak, (Mount Baldy) six times, all in the fall or summer when the snow was mostly gone.
There is a trail a few miles long but all steep switchbacks. There is also an easy way up from the Plains Montana side.
Both involve long bumpy dirt road trips to reach the trail-heads though.
There is a small trout lake up at the base of the mountain and there used to be a fire lookout up there too. Not much evidence of that left though.
Photo was taken in Lake county but Mount Baldy is in Sanders county, well off the reservation in the Lolo National forest, west half.
There are a few small trees at the top and on a clear day one can see the peaks of Glacier Park.

Our valley has a lot of grassland and sagebrush, also a few wolves and an occasional grizzly bear !

Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 AM

74 posts, read 127,520 times
It's a balmy 32 degrees where I am currently.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonind View Post
It's a balmy 32 degrees where I am currently.
If this is all that "Global" warming then I guess we are "Basking In Our little Snow Globes"

Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 AM

324 posts, read 714,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I didn't realize Northwest MT was that semi-arid?
Where? I lived in the Flathead for several years. The snow that fell in November was still on the ground in April. Semi-arid - not there. In Eastern Montana and Wyoming - absolutely!

If Wyoming knew how much water there was in NW Montana - they'd have built a pipeline up there to draw down the water.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM

In Whitehorse at 6am this morning: 9F, dew point -18F, humidity 65%, expected high 13F

In Kalispell this morning: 35F, dew point 34, humidity 97%, expected high 50F

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Where? I lived in the Flathead for several years. The snow that fell in November was still on the ground in April. Semi-arid - not there. In Eastern Montana and Wyoming - absolutely!
If Wyoming knew how much water there was in NW Montana - they'd have built a pipeline up there to draw down the water.
Nobody here claimed that the Flathead valley that you lived in was arid or semi arid, you are right, western Montana is not very arid at all but as you can see in my photos there are little pockets where it is very arid in western Montana.
Go look up the precipitation statistics for "Camas Prairie Montana." That is the most decidedly arid location in western Montana and it's virtually a desert.
There are pockets of low precipitation scattered about. There are also pockets that look like rain-forests with ferns and cedars.
There is a lot of water in in the lakes and rivers and one of the big rivers run through a very arid spot here in western Montana. (My secret float-fishing spot)

This photo is of the valley we live in. At the time of this post I don't see any
snow in our valley at all. It looks very much like the dry arid scene in this photo.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 PM

82 posts, read 200,771 times
Even in the "Big" Bitterroot Valley, I notice the precip variations, most notably as one heads from east to west. It reminds me, to a certain degree, of the "wet vs dry side" element we had in Southern Oregon's Rogue Valley.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post

We don't need it. That's why we drain all our rivers to the North into Montana.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Nobody here claimed that the Flathead valley that you lived in was arid or semi arid, you are right, western Montana is not very arid at all but as you can see in my photos there are little pockets where it is very arid in western Montana.
Go look up the precipitation statistics for "Camas Prairie Montana." That is the most decidedly arid location in western Montana and it's virtually a desert.
There are pockets of low precipitation scattered about. There are also pockets that look like rain-forests with ferns and cedars.
There is a lot of water in in the lakes and rivers and one of the big rivers run through a very arid spot here in western Montana. (My secret float-fishing spot)

This photo is of the valley we live in. At the time of this post I don't see any
snow in our valley at all. It looks very much like the dry arid scene in this photo.
By dry - what's your standard? Less than 8" (def of semi-arid)

Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
We don't need it. That's why we drain all our rivers to the North into Montana.
Yeah, right. You'd rather drink fracking water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana