Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sanders County isolated and remote
YES 3 27.27%
NO 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 AM

147 posts, read 280,152 times

Advertisements

Is this true? Is Sanders County to isolated, remote part of the USA I have been looking for?
I have looked into other areas, but those are in other states like northern Maine, and northern Idaho, the Ozarks.
But in MT, it was Sanders County through my extensive research as I trekked through the internets.

Is Sanders County isolated? Is it remote? Or...not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Depends on your definition of remote.

It is a beautiful place, lots of timber, wildlife, water, and around 12,000 people in the county.

There aren't freeways running through there, but it isn't hard to get to, and in the summer there is a lot of tourist traffic.
Lot of rugged terrain in the area.

Perhaps if you defined what you want someone could give you a better answer because there are a lot of places in Montana that "you can't get to from here".

If you are looking for places that are heavily timbered with good water, Sanders county is perfect, but if you are looking for isolation, not so much, at least by Montana standards.

For anywhere else in the world besides Siberia, yeah it is pretty remote.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,666,896 times
There's always Alaska.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 AM

147 posts, read 280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Depends on your definition of remote.

It is a beautiful place, lots of timber, wildlife, water, and around 12,000 people in the county.

There aren't freeways running through there, but it isn't hard to get to, and in the summer there is a lot of tourist traffic.
Lot of rugged terrain in the area.

Perhaps if you defined what you want someone could give you a better answer because there are a lot of places in Montana that "you can't get to from here".

If you are looking for places that are heavily timbered with good water, Sanders county is perfect, but if you are looking for isolation, not so much, at least by Montana standards.

For anywhere else in the world besides Siberia, yeah it is pretty remote.
I am looking for remote, secluded, and isolated. Basically I need a place to live where liberty and guns are allowed once the New World Order begins to enact martial law.

And yes I am being quite serious. Thank you for equally serious responses.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
While locations in western Montana are more rugged, eastern Montana has far fewer people. So literal isolation may be easier to come by in eastern Montana, you may feel more isolated in the trees and mountains of western Montana.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Northern most Idaho is the place you want to be.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Martial law(I hate it when people spell it Marshal, by the way, kudos to you, YIBT!) being what it generally seems to be(only seen it in other countries heretofore), and the NWO being what everyone says it is, Sanders county or other counties along the Continental Divide would seem to be good choices, since those peoples situated in rugged terrain seem to do better against modern weaponry and surveillance than those in more accessible places. Eastern Montana has less people from what I have seen but is pretty open in most places, good drone country, not to mention tanks(in the summer, at least). I like more timber, ravines, and rough country for hiding from the nearly ubiquitous satellites and drones these days.... Maybe you need to check out North Idaho. Plenty of rough country, thick timber, and lots of folks looking over their shoulders for drones and such for you to make friends out of. Take all this with a wheelbarrow of salt, of course, since I know little to nothing about hiding from the all-seeing eyes of the machine!

Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
As an afterthought, maybe the internet isn't the best place to be if one is worried about the NWO, just saying.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
I am looking for remote, secluded, and isolated. Basically I need a place to live where liberty and guns are allowed once the New World Order begins to enact martial law.

And yes I am being quite serious. Thank you for equally serious responses.
Sanders County / Northern Idaho would be a good place to find folks with a similar mindset and concerns.
They are kind of clannish, not real welcoming of outsiders. There are a lot of remote valleys that would be good cover, but I really doubt someone would detail a drone for one person, so looking at areas with a lot of folks with the same values would be more advantageous with a higher percentage chance of finding your targets of opportunity.

The folks there would be very protective of their rights, and if you were looking for a community that would have unity against any takeover or loss of rights, it would be a good place for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Martial law(I hate it when people spell it Marshal, by the way, kudos to you, YIBT!) being what it generally seems to be(only seen it in other countries heretofore), and the NWO being what everyone says it is, Sanders county or other counties along the Continental Divide would seem to be good choices, since those peoples situated in rugged terrain seem to do better against modern weaponry and surveillance than those in more accessible places. Eastern Montana has less people from what I have seen but is pretty open in most places, good drone country, not to mention tanks(in the summer, at least). I like more timber, ravines, and rough country for hiding from the nearly ubiquitous satellites and drones these days.... Maybe you need to check out North Idaho. Plenty of rough country, thick timber, and lots of folks looking over their shoulders for drones and such for you to make friends out of. Take all this with a wheelbarrow of salt, of course, since I know little to nothing about hiding from the all-seeing eyes of the machine!
The wide open spaces of Eastern Montana aren't really open plains like you would see in Texas or Nebraska. The Breaks and Badlands are tough country to maneuver in, especially if it is wet as the gumbo soil will clog up any wheel or track, plus the soil is so soft especially in areas where there is erosion, it wouldn't support a large tracked vehicle.

Lots of caves and hidden springs, lots of area to be lost in if someone is looking for you. If you are by yourself way out in the middle of nowhere, unless you are on the most wanted list or something, nobody is going to spend the money to task large amounts of expensive technology to find one guy.

The folks in Eastern Montana are very similar to the ones in the more rural west, very protective of their rights.

The forest and mountains do lend themselves to the traditional guerrilla style warfare, but Afghanistan should show you that it is the individual and their knowledge of the terrain that can make life difficult for organized military.

Even Hitler found out that trying to hold large expanses of empty territory through a severe winter is a no win situation when he invaded Russia in WWII.

I would say if you are looking for independent people who are pretty self sufficient, living in close communities with a world view similar to the OPs, pretty much any place in Montana away from the cities would be remote enough for that.

Personally, I don't really look for the Armageddon/government is going to enslave us all scenario, but at the same time I have very little use for the feds or trust.

Good Luck.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM

83 posts, read 279,264 times
I suggest you read the book Strategic Relocation. It'll teach you where to go. The intermountain west is the safest to go when mayhem ensues.

Strategic Relocation The Film FULL VERSION HQ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana