Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times

Advertisements

My biggest adjustment was shopping. No more Nordstrom's. No mall in Helena.

And eating out, we used to go out on Friday or Saturday night, at around 9:00 pm...restaurants in Montana close around that time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,183,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

And eating out, we used to go out on Friday or Saturday night, at around 9:00 pm...restaurants in Montana close around that time!
True but a lot of people are at work before 7am. I couldn't stand not going to work until 9am. I'd much rather get off earlier and enjoy the day.

It is annoying that everything closes so early and so many businesses are closed on Sunday. Shopping definitely leaves a bit to be desired in Helena.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM

541 posts, read 1,225,138 times
Quote:
It is annoying that everything closes so early and so many businesses are closed on Sunday. Shopping definitely leaves a bit to be desired in Helena.
I personally love this. Let the shop owners and workers go home and enjoy life. Let Sundays be about family time. That pause in the week is a very good thing from my perspective. It somewhat cheapens Sunday to make it just like any other day. I remember as a kid looking forward to it. Everyone came over in the afternoon and we did things as a family or went on a picnic or what have you. No soccer practices, no jumbled nonsense.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I personally love this. Let the shop owners and workers go home and enjoy life. Let Sundays be about family time. That pause in the week is a very good thing from my perspective. It somewhat cheapens Sunday to make it just like any other day. I remember as a kid looking forward to it. Everyone came over in the afternoon and we did things as a family or went on a picnic or what have you. No soccer practices, no jumbled nonsense.
Used to be like this everywhere when I was a kid. Saturday was the day for chores and shopping. Sunday was for church and visiting family/friends. The only stores that were open were the super markets and liquor stores. A few others, but mostly you did your shopping on Saturdays.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 PM

448 posts, read 1,070,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calstorm View Post
First of all I have to say I love it here. The state is more beautiful than I expected it to be. The people just seem to be of a higher quality. People care and are more friendly. The shopping may not be what I am used to, but that is what the internet is for.
Montana seems to get a lot of things right that California gets wrong.

I do have one question though. Before I moved here, every one tried to scare me about the weather, and I admit, I was a bit worried about the winters here, but so far, it seems very mild, nothing like I was expecting. It is colder than what I am used too, but I have adapted well.
Is this a normal winter? Honestly, I feel a little let down. I had prepared myself for an awful winter and feet, not inches of snow.
It has been a great 6 months, and so far I am very glad I moved here.
How about now? Although it's still behind in the snowfall amount. Poor Cali though.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Harsh November, warmish December, probably the warmest January on record, and now we're having almost a normal January in February. Compared to average, it's been mild, tho we also set record lows. Next year may be the opposite!

Mild winters are usually followed by cool wet summers... well, we'll see in a few months!

Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM

177 posts, read 126,230 times
Three years on, how has it worked out for you?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM

503 posts, read 1,455,272 times
This last winter has been the coldest longest snowiest one since I moved to Mt in 2009. This winter we are in Great falls. Helena for 4 years before that.

We get an added bonus up here. Crazy winds!!

Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Got to have a Costco store nearby.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:45 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
DR, what do you like / not about Great Falls so far? On balance rating? Favorite / least favorite parts of town and / or nearby county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana