Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,678 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice on relocating to Montana from Wisconsin. I've been building my savings account for almost a year now and have been doing research about relocating to either the Bozeman or Helena areas. I am aware of the turnaround rate of people that move out there leave within 5 years of moving and am doing my best to cover all of my bases to avoid setting myself up for failure. I've been to MT 3 time in the past 2 yrs; last summer, last fall and this past June I traveled from the Ennis Valley, up to Helena, down through Butte and back to Bozeman. Helena and Bozeman are my two areas of interest.

I am 30 years old and have been working at my job for the past 14 yrs in an office setting. I do not have a college degree and am not looking for a job in any specific field; however, I feel that it's probably in my best interest to peruse a job in an office setting until other opportunities are presented. I've posted my resume on MT.gov and look at Bozeman daily Chronicle almost daily to see what is available out there.

In regards to housing; I have a Lab that must move with me. I know that Montanans are dog friendly; however, is it common to find rentals available that welcome large dogs? I've looked on Craigslist and in the Chronicle to get an idea and have found a few but not a wide variety of options in my price range ($700 max rent w/ utilities)

As for the weather, from what I understand it is colder in MT than in Wisconsin but wetter in Wisconsin. I have a small car and am wondering how it will fare in Montana. I've not gotten stuck or have gone into a ditch here in the wicked Wisconsin winters. Although I understand the benefits of having a 4X4 vehicle, especially in the mountains, is it necessary to get another vehicle? Mine is currently pd off and would be a HUGE convenience not to have a car payment on top of my other expenses. As for the sub zero temps... I'm pretty used to that here in WI.

Like a lot of people that decide to relocate to MT, I have a huge respect for nature. Conserving it and using it for recreations are high on my priority list. Eventually I hope to achieve a career with the environment and nature being the focal point and I know that relocation to MT is the perfect canvas to make that happen.

What are 3 things everyone should know before relocating to MT?
What are the top 3 things I should not leave "home" with out in my relocation?
What is a common misconception about Montana?
Is the cost of living in the suburbs of Bozeman significantly lower?

Any advise would be helpful. I do a lot of internet searching but I find the best advice comes from people that have experienced it first hand. I appreciate anything you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
Hmmm.... 3 things.
1. Have summer tires and winter tires for your car (I always get studded winter tires and feel safer).
2. It is a big state with long drives between the major towns, sometimes on two lane highways.
3. Budget for a high cost of heating your home in the winter.

Don't leave home without
1. optimism
2. common sense
3. a respectful attitude

Common misconception about Montana - that everyone carries a gun.

The smaller towns around Bozeman may have lower housing prices, but the cost of living, based on food, utilities, transportation, etc. is about the same. Add in that many people commute to Bozeman for jobs or shopping, so you would be buying more gas for the commute.

The price of housing actually has fallen in Bozeman. An article in the Chronicle yesterday has a headline mistakenly that the cost of living dropped, when actually it is the cost of HOUSING.
Housing costs are now below the national average when previously they were above the national average and among the highest in the state.

Housing prices in Bozeman were 2.9 above the national average and now are 5.8 below the national average.
Bozeman cost of living decreases slightly - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Economy

You can see a chart on that page of the article comparing the Bozeman composite cost of living with some other similarly sized towns in the region. It is about the same as Laramie, WY.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM

I suggest that you put an ad in the Bozeman Chronicle classifieds under "Wanted to Rent" describing the size and type of rental you need (allowing a dog).

Last edited by happiness is; 08-24-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Regarding office jobs, the state government in Helena provides a lot of positions for office clerical work. You can also keep checking the classified jobs web page at MSU in Bozeman.
Montana State University -- Classified Position Vacancy Announcements

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Hello and welcome
Not to dissuade you too much but economic times are hard here like everywhere, IMO I would have the job in hand first.
Things are just to dicey right now in the world.
Keep posting, we like to help.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,546 times
Try to stay away from Craigslist for rentals as most are scams. Jobs are VERY scarce and the competition is huge. It seems that transportation is a big concern with you wanting to keep your little car and not add another payment. As long as you are comfortable driving in winter conditions for a VERY long time you should be just fine as long as you have good tires.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:58 AM

214 posts, read 601,753 times
I've spent winters in the Green Bay/Appleton area of Wisconsin before and I think you'll enjoy the winters a lot better out here. You'll miss the ethnic cooking there, if you're into that. The northwest doesn't really have a certain type of food that distinguishes itself with this area. We sell a lot of cheeses here but nothing like the variaties and taste of yours. You'll miss the professional football there. It's one of the best small city franchises in the US. The sports bars there are absolutely great.

Wisconsin is one of the very few states in the rust belt that made the transition from the old manufacturing to the soft type with grace and style. They were way ahead of the curve in rethinking what manufacturing could be.

When it comes to pay, nothing beats the union pay scale there. It's one of the best in the country and your housing prices are very reasonable. Not the same here. The fishing and skiing are good there, but are even better here. I like the way your state has all the publicly owned work out centers with indoor pools free to residents and they're all over the place. That was a great idea they had back years ago and very similar to Alaska in that regard. Your people stay skinny in the long winter because of it and they all use it. Ours are all privetly run and have big annual fees, most don't have pools. Wisconsin has a lot going for it except for it's crushing debt and a lot of that happened a few years ago with the pension fund mishap with the banks that went under, like what happened over in Iceland. That's where Montana is better positioned and doesn't have the tax revenue issues, at least not yet. So except for that, Wisconsin is one of the best Northern states to live in, so you have to think carefully about your decision here.

If Helena is one of the cities in your sites, keep in mind it no way compares to your state capital of Madison. Appleton is more like Helena and Madison more like Bozeman.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 08-28-2011 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,678 times
Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been doing A LOT of research in many of the topics that everyone has touched on. While I was out there this past July I did note that there is a lot of driving involved with the commute; however the breath taking scenery makes it all worth it. Plus it seems like traffic jams are practically non existent. I will have to make sure that I budget for tires, something I didn't think of. Also, how often are you replacing your car batteries out there?
In regards to the cost of living, I have been looking at some places that include all utilities and the rent seems reasonable. I definitely do not need anything fancy. The simple lifestyle was one of the main qualities that attracted me to Montana. Also, fishing is not only a relaxing hobby of mine, but also puts food on the table. Also, I've recently taken my hunters safety course and am starting to get into hunting. Being self sufficient is something that I yearn to be so learning how to hunt my own meat is definitely a priority. I'm also into gardening and learning how to preserve food; other skills that will prove beneficial to decreasing my dependance on expensive groceries.
I've lived in WI my entire life, worked at the same job for the past 14 years and am certain that I am ready for something new. When I get out to Montana and it turns out that it isn't the place for me I know that I can always come back here to my friends and family but at least I know that I gave it a shot. Yeah, the economy out there is crummy as it is everywhere else in the country at this time. However, I can't let that hold me back.
I really appreciate everyone's input and advice and welcome anything else anyone has for me. I am preparing to spend another winter here in Wisconsin and hope to be on my way out to MT by mid May 2012.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation406 View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice on relocating to Montana from Wisconsin. I've been building my savings account for almost a year now and have been doing research about relocating to either the Bozeman or Helena areas. I am aware of the turnaround rate of people that move out there leave within 5 years of moving and am doing my best to cover all of my bases to avoid setting myself up for failure. I've been to MT 3 time in the past 2 yrs; last summer, last fall and this past June I traveled from the Ennis Valley, up to Helena, down through Butte and back to Bozeman. Helena and Bozeman are my two areas of interest.

I am 30 years old and have been working at my job for the past 14 yrs in an office setting. I do not have a college degree and am not looking for a job in any specific field; however, I feel that it's probably in my best interest to peruse a job in an office setting until other opportunities are presented. I've posted my resume on MT.gov and look at Bozeman daily Chronicle almost daily to see what is available out there.

In regards to housing; I have a Lab that must move with me. I know that Montanans are dog friendly; however, is it common to find rentals available that welcome large dogs? I've looked on Craigslist and in the Chronicle to get an idea and have found a few but not a wide variety of options in my price range ($700 max rent w/ utilities)

As for the weather, from what I understand it is colder in MT than in Wisconsin but wetter in Wisconsin. I have a small car and am wondering how it will fare in Montana. I've not gotten stuck or have gone into a ditch here in the wicked Wisconsin winters. Although I understand the benefits of having a 4X4 vehicle, especially in the mountains, is it necessary to get another vehicle? Mine is currently pd off and would be a HUGE convenience not to have a car payment on top of my other expenses. As for the sub zero temps... I'm pretty used to that here in WI.

Like a lot of people that decide to relocate to MT, I have a huge respect for nature. Conserving it and using it for recreations are high on my priority list. Eventually I hope to achieve a career with the environment and nature being the focal point and I know that relocation to MT is the perfect canvas to make that happen.

What are 3 things everyone should know before relocating to MT?
What are the top 3 things I should not leave "home" with out in my relocation?
What is a common misconception about Montana?
Is the cost of living in the suburbs of Bozeman significantly lower?

Any advise would be helpful. I do a lot of internet searching but I find the best advice comes from people that have experienced it first hand. I appreciate anything you can offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation406 View Post
Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been doing A LOT of research in many of the topics that everyone has touched on. While I was out there this past July I did note that there is a lot of driving involved with the commute; however the breath taking scenery makes it all worth it. Plus it seems like traffic jams are practically non existent. I will have to make sure that I budget for tires, something I didn't think of. Also, how often are you replacing your car batteries out there?
In regards to the cost of living, I have been looking at some places that include all utilities and the rent seems reasonable. I definitely do not need anything fancy. The simple lifestyle was one of the main qualities that attracted me to Montana. Also, fishing is not only a relaxing hobby of mine, but also puts food on the table. Also, I've recently taken my hunters safety course and am starting to get into hunting. Being self sufficient is something that I yearn to be so learning how to hunt my own meat is definitely a priority. I'm also into gardening and learning how to preserve food; other skills that will prove beneficial to decreasing my dependance on expensive groceries.
I've lived in WI my entire life, worked at the same job for the past 14 years and am certain that I am ready for something new. When I get out to Montana and it turns out that it isn't the place for me I know that I can always come back here to my friends and family but at least I know that I gave it a shot. Yeah, the economy out there is crummy as it is everywhere else in the country at this time. However, I can't let that hold me back.
I really appreciate everyone's input and advice and welcome anything else anyone has for me. I am preparing to spend another winter here in Wisconsin and hope to be on my way out to MT by mid May 2012.
.................Hey Folks.............

I just re-read these two posts by "Operation 406"............

What a re-freshing and enjoyable "read"

It had restored my faith in (some of) the "young people" (ages 20 to 35) from various parts of the U.S. that want to relocate to "The Last Best Place".

Here is a young man who: #1...Can compose not one but two intelligent "posts" that clearly and consicely(sp?) convey the fact(s) that he has done "his home-work"; #2...has evaluated his position in his home state; #3... has asked some intelligent questions and #4....is not implusively
jumping into his vehicle and driving out to MT "because he can't stand his home state any longer".

Young man....my hat is "off" to you.................... I wish you all the best in your decision to move to Montana. If I can be of help to you in some way......do not hesitate to ask.......either in this forum of via a private message.__________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

From the info you have provided thus far, I might offer the following comments:

IMO. Helena might be a slightly better choice than Bozeman for obtaining employment (considering your employment history and since you do not have some college in your educational background. This is stated with all due respect.)

#2/... since you have successfully grown up and driven your existing vehicle
in Wisconsin's winter weather..................I don't forsee a problem for you here in MT. Unless you end up having to drive " into the mountains" for either your job or for a residence. Even then, a good set of studded snow tires and some weight over your rear axel (providing your current vehicle is rear-wheel drive) will be adequate. I am quite familiar with winter driving in WI and the northern midwest during the winter months.

#3/...Our winter weather in no more detrimental (sp?) on a vehicle's battery
than what you have encountered in N/E WI.

#4/...I'm sure you are aware that both Missoula and Bozeman being college towns, have a fair number of graduates that decide to make either respective city their "new-home" after graduation because during their college years, they have fallen in love with MT. Thus, it may...I say may... be more difficult for a non-college graduate to find employment in either of these college towns. Yes, this is just my humble opinion. Again, IMHO, I think Helena might be your best choice. And living in the Helena area will provide much better opportunity for fishing.

Summary: You appear to be approaching this potential change in your life (and life-style) and employment by utilizing a great degree of "common-sense" and basic intelligence. These two attributes will go a long way in helping you achieve a successful move to Montana.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
You know sometimes you just gotta go for it. your best skill is ability to adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana