Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,926 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of visiting Montana and, amongst other things, like art (paintings, sculpture, arts and crafts, ...).
Is there any place in particular in the state - city(ies), town(s) - that have interesting galleries, art houses, museums etc. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM

369 posts, read 1,454,363 times
Missoula has a newly remodeled ($5Million+) Missoula Art Museum. Very nice gallery of contempory art - fantastic facility, you'll enjoy it and entrance is free. Missoula is awash in interesting galleries in town; all close to the museum; all you have to do is walk.

Helena, the state capitol, has the Holter Gallery and the Archie Bray Foundation for ceramic arts and other galleries as well. Both are well done and the Bray Foundation has a world-wide following.

Billings has the Yellowstone Museum; fairly new with lots of western art and other venues. Haven't been there for several years.

Big Fork has lots of trendy galleries.

Bozeman has a very interesting Natural History Museum just off the campus of Montana State University. That's not the name, sorry, but its full of everthing from history to dinasours to art. And many private galleries downtown.

Great Falls has the Charlie Russell Museum, Montana's most famous western artist. A must see. As well there is a new Lewis & Clark Museum above the Missouri River with many dioramas.

Livingston has many trendy galleries and is the home of Russell Chatham a recent phenom popular amongst the Hollywood set for his impressionist themes of Paradise Valley and Montana in general.

Kalispell is home to the Hockaday Museum of Art. Very nice.

Hope this helps. Most every town of some size has something of interest.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
I agree with Grizzfan -

Bozeman will have the nicest and most upscale art galleries if you are in to that type of thing. Missoula is the most artsy city in Missoula but not necessarily full of upscale galleries.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 PM

I like Bozeman, but only slightly disagree with Bigtrees. Missoula is the home of Monte Dolak, Pirnie and the late Rudy Autio, among many others. Just try buying one of their originals!!! I consider them to be very 'upscale', but maybe our definitions differ.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
I like Bozeman, but only slightly disagree with Bigtrees. Missoula is the home of Monte Dolak, Pirnie and the late Rudy Autio, among many others. Just try buying one of their originals!!! I consider them to be very 'upscale', but maybe our definitions differ.
I really haven't spent much time nosing around Missoula art galleries, so I may not have a good feel for it. I'll say that Missoula has a much better arts/culture scene in general, and the Bozeman galleries tend to cater to the rich people that travel through there on the way to Big Sky.....

All together, I'd recommend Missoula over Bozeman anyday for the arts/culture scene.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Anaconda usually has a Art in the park event in July, August that has great local art. I imagine there are other communites that have similar events.
So if you want local flair look towards these events.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,948 times
My 2 cents In Polson We have the Sandpiper gallery Sandpiper Art Gallery and Gift Shop

Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,926 times
Thanks all ! - I think I will start with Missoula and time permitting travel to Bozeman.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTopaz View Post
Thanks all ! - I think I will start with Missoula and time permitting travel to Bozeman.
Also if you are interested in more-historic art in its original settings rather than just in galleries, Helena is the place to stop -- or at least it was 20 years ago, when the Gulch was full of old-time shops with old-time crafts and bits of very personalized art. And the historic buildings have their share too -- one time we spent the whole day looking at nifty stuff in Helena's various cathedrals.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM

The 2008-2009 Montana's Cultural Treasures 112 page magazine has just been released.

It is a full-color guide to museums, art galleries, bookstores and theaters in 122 listed towns and cities. An amazing production with much advertizing by artists and galleries as well. For instance, there are 8 pages of listings for Bozeman, 11 for Helena, 6 for Great Falls, 5 for Billings and 12 for Missoula.

To request copies of Montana Cultural Treasures, please email Holly Kuehlwein at holy.kuehlwein@lee.net or call800-366-7193 or write to PO Box 8029, Missoula, MT 59807. It appears they will send you one free. Found my on a local newstand for the taking.

Tom-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana