Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 8,480 times

Advertisements

Billings MT or Onalaska WI???? I am looking for information to compare for both locations. I have been offered a position in each and I'm not sure which way to go. We are relocating from Germany (DoD job) and are looking to settle down, purchase some land and either build or buy a house. We have two young teenagers so I'm looking for a good environment for them, good high school, etc. I have researched and find a lot of good for both locations but have never been to either one so need some perspective from folks that live in both locations. We like small, been in San Antonio and Maryland, too big. The family loves all four seasons, we usually take a family ski trip for the Christmas holidays. Any thoughts?? Thank you to anyone who would like to share their views!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM

137 posts, read 612,175 times
Interesting comparison. Both are alike and unique in many ways. You will experience the change of seasons with both. Billings is kinda flat-- on the edge of the Great Plains, very industrial, but very close to the Rockies, Yellowstone, and all the fun that is only a few hours from there. Onalaska is in the Coulee in Wisconsin, an area with lots of river valley topography. Bicycling (the area is known for Elroy-Sparta bike trail), canoeing, and kayaking are something I remember about Onalaska/LaCrosse. Minneapolis-St Paul or Chicago are a few hours away.

Toss up. Visit both; see which one feels more like home. Welcome back to the mainland!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 AM

56 posts, read 224,595 times
It really depends on what you're looking for. Onalaska/Lacrosse is right on the Mississippi River, so water recreation all around. Billings is just east of the Montana Rockies, so mountain recreation is close by. Onalaska does have a small ski hill just outside of town, but Billings has Red Lodge Mountain an hour away. Weather-wise, the big difference is humidity. Lots in Onalaska, not so much in Billings. I personally prefer Billings because of the low humidity and the mountains close by. You really need to visit both places to get a feel for them, though.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
Interesting comparison. Both are alike and unique in many ways. You will experience the change of seasons with both. Billings is kinda flat-- on the edge of the Great Plains, very industrial, but very close to the Rockies, Yellowstone, and all the fun that is only a few hours from there. Onalaska is in the Coulee in Wisconsin, an area with lots of river valley topography. Bicycling (the area is known for Elroy-Sparta bike trail), canoeing, and kayaking are something I remember about Onalaska/LaCrosse. Minneapolis-St Paul or Chicago are a few hours away.

Toss up. Visit both; see which one feels more like home. Welcome back to the mainland!
thank you disneyrecords! sounds like either one we select we will be able to find a lot to do. We actually picked MT, the position was better, and over all seemed to be a better fit. I'm hoping the family is as happy with the area as I believe I will be with the position. Thanks for the welcome back! Should be touching ground mid June, can't wait!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24522 View Post
It really depends on what you're looking for. Onalaska/Lacrosse is right on the Mississippi River, so water recreation all around. Billings is just east of the Montana Rockies, so mountain recreation is close by. Onalaska does have a small ski hill just outside of town, but Billings has Red Lodge Mountain an hour away. Weather-wise, the big difference is humidity. Lots in Onalaska, not so much in Billings. I personally prefer Billings because of the low humidity and the mountains close by. You really need to visit both places to get a feel for them, though.
thank you 24522! We love water activity but I'm not the too fond of humidity. Love the mountains and skiing! Read a little about Red Lodge Mountain and we are very interested in checking it out. We picked MT so I'm hoping the family is happy once we get there. I believe we will be! We have friends in Menomonie WI so we will be able to visit and check out WI as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana