Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:32 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

I lived in Great Falls, MT as a young woman and am a part time resident of Anchorage, AK. I recommend Montana as a wonderful place to live, especially if you love the outdoors. The cost of living is low and the state is very beautiful. However, it is more isolated and remote than most of NY, even upstate. That didn't bother me, but it might be an issue for others. If you like the larger cities, Helena and Great Falls are among them, but MT doesn't really have any big cities like NY does. They have larger towns, small towns, and tiny dots connecting highways I recommend you visit before you commit for sure. The job market is pretty stable there, no matter what field you go into. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,364 times
OP, I think the Bozeman and Helena areas would be the best for you to focus your research on, even if their respective COLs are going to be somewhat higher than that of Great Falls (not a terrible place to look in to, either, but I think a more "business-minded" area like Bozeman in particular is going to be a better investment in the long-run, especially if you're at all considering wages and savings in the future).

This isn't to say that you have to live in the Bozeman city limits--check out the entire micropolitan area and its employment opportunities--local classifieds (you have to have an online subscription to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle to access them, I believe) would be a good place to start, of course.

I know that the weather isn't a concern for you, but I still have to assure you that, contrary to common misconceptions, Montanans don't live at the mercy of Arctic weather blasts for nine months of the year. Although the weather in the Northern Rockies is hardly predictable, I would venture to say that the months of April through October bring few surprises for the most part--rain, sun, heat, maybe some mild wind-chill, and maybe a random Spring snow shower that disappears in 24 hours or less (the mountains were capped with fresh powder as recently as June 18th where I live, but you'd hardly know it now). I notice the variances to be most extreme throughout November and March. All in all, expect four seasons (even if winter will indeed feel like the longest).

Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
It has been a few years since I went to Bozo, but you may be thinking of Manhattan. Which would be oddly fitting for our OP to move to... GREAT steakhouse there.
I do miss Sir Scott's Oasis. Great steakhouse.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM

281 posts, read 870,164 times
OP, the friendliest part of the state, at least for me and my family is in the Bitterroot Valley. My mom in law is a school teacher in Florence and loves it, and the small community. Hamilton, Stevensville, Florence, and Lolo are good places in my books. You get more sun there too. Good luck to you.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Strange that nobody mentioned Billings...
Big city (for Montana), LOTS to do, generally nice people, lots of small towns within easy commuting distance, many rural places near town to rent or buy...
We have a "mini-farm" five miles from town. Not far away, there is one for sale; 4.2 acres, 3 bed two bath house, outbuildings, good well, nice place. I think it is over priced at $319,000, since it was built about 50 years ago.
Anyway, Billings is a place to consider.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 PM

28 posts, read 60,828 times
Strange nobody mentioned Whitefish.

If you have some money saved, you can find a nice little house on the outskirts (or a condo) for under $250-300K. Ski town, and much smaller than Bozeman. Tons of stuff to do there. If you get an itch for a visit to the coast, the train goes straight to Seattle from Whitefish, and at a reasonable fare.

While there is a strong contingent of very wealthy, older transplants and vacation property owners, there's also a consistent young, active vibe. In summer the place is littered with Mt. Bikers.

While it is much less "Christian" than its counterpart (Kalispell) a few miles to the south, it is still a conservative town, and there are plenty of churches in the area within a 20 minute drive.

If there are no teaching jobs in Whitefish proper, there probably are in Kalispell, but it would require a 20-35 minute commute. It's also milder than Bozeman in winter climate.

That said, the area is crazy with tourists in summer.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:15 PM

28 posts, read 60,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Strange that nobody mentioned Billings...
Big city (for Montana), LOTS to do, generally nice people, lots of small towns within easy commuting distance, many rural places near town to rent or buy...
We have a "mini-farm" five miles from town. Not far away, there is one for sale; 4.2 acres, 3 bed two bath house, outbuildings, good well, nice place. I think it is over priced at $319,000, since it was built about 50 years ago.
Anyway, Billings is a place to consider.
Nobody mentioned Billings because it's a dive?

Well OK it's close to some fabulous country...in Wyoming.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Well, here's how snooty and rude those small town folks are... one evening a few months back I stopped at the bar at Logan (population what, about 250?) which I'd never been in before... I was trying to track down someone from there who'd married and moved... anyway not only did someone share the info I needed, I enjoyed an hour chatting with the barmaid and the regulars about whatever topics came up.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,757 times
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for all of your ideas. For any who are interested, here is an update. I visited MT just recently. We drove from the southwestern part of the state (near Yellowstone) to the north (near Glacier National Park). I loved it so much! Everyone we met was super nice, friendly, and welcoming. The weather was great too. I enjoyed the low humidity. I really love Bozeman's downtown area. But I think for permanent settling down type of living, I liked Pray the most. That area is so beautiful, open, and refreshing. It would take less than an hour to get to Bozeman from there if I were in need of a downtown fix. I hope I will end up there one day! We shall see!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate250 View Post
....................(SNIP)>>>>>>>>>>>>. I really love Bozeman's downtown area. But I think for permanent settling down type of living, I liked Pray the most. That area is so beautiful, open, and refreshing. It would take less than an hour to get to Bozeman from there if I were in need of a downtown fix. I hope I will end up there one day! We shall see!
Yes, Pray is a quiet, nice little community (current population of the Zip Code "59065" area around the town is approx 680.) I have a friend who has some land in the area & is my source "for local info & gossip"

The actual "town' which sets on 5 acres, is privately owned by Ms. Barbara Walker, and is currently (as far as I know) For Sale, for 1.4 million dollars. It was put on the R.E. market in February 2012. If it didn't sell by mid 2013, I understand it possibly would be "auctioned-off"..........don't know what has transpired.

Edit: Correction of info.......... It was put up for auction on June 27th 2012.......my friend says he doesn't know the results.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 07-29-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana