Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 22,696 times

Advertisements

My wife and I and our 2.5 yr old and 7 month old are moving to Helena soon and would like any input on where to look for housing, Montessori schools, things to do for kids during winter, spring, summer. We both like to play tennis so we would like to find out how to get in touch with local tennis players. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 01:47 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,270 times
There is a Montessori Center on Ewing Street here but I am not very familiar with those type of schools. I don't play tennis either so I am not sure about the local players. Winter activites are probably geared mostly toward skiing. We have the Great Divide here and Big Sky (which is very fun) is about 2 hours away as well. Fishing is also a big thing here with the lakes. It is a nice area for outdoor recreation if you know your way around that type of thing. Helena is also located pretty much in the hub of Montana so you are a few hours from all the major cities and attractions. It makes it nice for traveling. Where you look for housing depends on what you are looking for and how much you are looking to spend.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Helena move

We will be looking to rent something relatively new 3-4 bedrooms until we can figure out where we want to buy something. I would like something with a yard for the kids. Any suggestions????????

Anyone play tennis in Helena??????

Old 12-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Hmmm, for rentals I would try either looking here: Moderator cut: advertisement You probably will want to look for housing that is close to the schools your kids go to so be sure to research those. Sunhaven and Treasure State are my personal favs but to each his own. Subdivisions, that is.
I have seen tennis courts at the schools and up in the park by where I work so I know people do play it here. As far as groups or clubs...I just don't know.
So when are you planning to move?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-06-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Helena move

Probably looking to move this Springtime. Thanks for the subdivisions, I'll check them out when I'm there next month.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 PM

There is another subdivision you should check out but the name of it escapes me at the moment. When you do visit Helena you will notice that North Montana Avenue pretty much runs through most of the town. Pretty much the main artery of Helena. If you drive up North Montana to Broadway Street and turn left and keep driving right before you hit Lamborn there is a 4 court tennis arena to your left. It is in Lockey Park. Not a bad area either but it has more traffic. Most of the state agencies are located near there and it can get pretty busy at times. Thins out more as you go up the hill. If you can swing it, some of those properties on the mountain side (its not way up there, just enough to give you a nice view) are quite choice. So be sure to explore that area as well. Jefferson School is in that area and it looks to be a nice school.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,258 times
There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Helena. Both high schools are good. I would say Capital High is more of a middle income school whereas Helena High has the rich and the not so rich. Both schools have wonderful teachers. As far as neighborhoods go I like the Valley such as Ten Mile and Treasure state. Ten Mile Creek is my favorite as it is smaller than Treasure State and has the Creek running right through it. Sunhaven in town is a great neighborhood also.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,793 times
If you are looking for a place to rent while you house shop, this spring is a very good time to get a feel for the market. We have experienced a lull in the real estate market that began about 5 months ago (secondary mortgage collapse). Prices have relaxed and a lot of sellers are very willing to negotiate. My suggestion is to find a real estate agent and ride around with them to get a good feel for the area. I have heard that Green and Green Real Estate is good. Moderator cut: advertisement Most agents in this area are more than happy to demonstrate the hospitality that Montana is famous for. There is also a really cool indoor tennis court that a lot of the pros hang out at. I would imagine that would be a great place to make some tennis contacts. Best wishes.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-03-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,793 times
Here is some information I hope is helpful to you for tennis in Helena. The executive director of the MT district of the USTA is M.C. Beeby (bee-bee) @ 406-431-3152. She should be able to put you in contact with various groups or individuals. The local tennis center is Last Chance Tennis Assn. (the indoor tennis court) @ 406-442-5226. Also you can go to Tennis Welcome Center - Learn To Play Tennis Fast! and type in your city/town and state for more information.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001dct100 View Post
Most agents in this area are more than happy to demonstrate the hospitality that Montana is famous for.
But be warned....some of our local realtors are super-hyper and pushy. I call them "rabid realtors" because they foam at the mouth when they talk to you. Although I haven't had any bad experiences with G&G. I think Randall is a decent guy but I don't know him very well. I have only meet him, I have never had to work with him.

I did see something about tennis on the chamber of commerce website and when I clicked for more info it said "contact either school" Well, that was helpful. This is where Helena really tanks in my opinion. If they do have anything interesting going on...they seem to keep it a big secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana