Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,833 times

Advertisements

My family and I (3 children under 6) are considering moving to Colorado from Montana. We are both nurses. Tired of the long, grey winters and want sunshine, also we would like to be closer to the desert southwest. But we are a little nervous to move somewhere with a larger population and all the problems that go along with it. Another big factor is that our childrens grandparents will move to CO but not MT and we would like to be closer to family. We currently live in a resort town with skiing 15 minutes away and Glacier National Park 30 minutes away. Are we crazy? Anyone have some advice and maybe some ideas on towns in CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
You might want to post that question on the Colorado forum.

I don't know much about Colorada other then I have a daughter that lives in Pueblo. I've visited a few times and there was nothing I like about the place.

Bad gang problems. People were not friendly towards outsiders. The town it self is dirty. Not sure how to describe it but maybe drainage problem? Streets have a lot of dirt, gutters also. Empty lots were grown over with weeds.

I don't know, it just didn't seem like a place that I would want to live.

Where are you now? Maybe folks here that are knowledgable about Colorado can give some suggestions to something similar.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Yeah, what the last person said. The Colorado forum may be able to help you out a bit more. From what I've noticed on national news the past couple of years, they seem to get hit with more snow than anybody. I have a cousin who just moved there from Rochester, MN. He moved to Denver. No word on how he's liking it yet (he's always been a cool loner type), but it's kind of funny - in here in Montana and our relatives in Northwest Wisconsin and Eastern Minnesota have been enjoying the early nice spring weather and shortly after moving down there, that part of CO got hit with snow. haha Poor guy. I don't think you're missing out any skiing moving to Colorado. Hello? ASPEN? And the family aspect too.... my mind would be made up if I were you.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,833 times
I posted in Colorado section as well, was just trying to get a perspective from someone who may have moved from CO to Montana. So far it sounds like I'm crazy to leave, currently I live in Whitefish. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,142 times
I live in Buena Vista Colorado and I've only driven through Montana so I can't give you a comparison of the two in terms of standard of living. The big problem in this part of the state is that you can't buy a job and the cost of housing is ridiculous. Low/no wages+over priced housing=instant poverty. Our housing prices are inflated by rich retirees moving into the area. The wealth destruction of America's collapse is starting to stall our housing market. Everyone is just sort of holding their breath to see what's going to happen. So far, prices are holding but we are starting to see more foreclosures. Just my opinion, but I think there are enough affluent baby boomers moving in to keep our market from collapsing. Hard to say really as it could go the other way. Be forewarned though, you would be taking a terrible risk if you moved to this area without having a lock on a well-paying job. Not sure what this means but I know 2 families that moved from here to Montana because they didn't like the class of people moving in!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,142 times
PS
My neighbor is a nurse. She has worked in Heart of the Rockies Medical center in Salida and St Vincents in Leadville. She has no trouble getting shifts but wages are lower than other parts of the country.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
I posted in Colorado section as well, was just trying to get a perspective from someone who may have moved from CO to Montana. So far it sounds like I'm crazy to leave, currently I live in Whitefish. Thanks.
I think the only way you'll make the best decision is with two things.
1) Instincts (and I don't mean irrational fears instilled by anyone else.... your inner gut feeling that's yours and yours alone)
2) If you can (I know you're probably not rich), go down and "feel out" the area yourself.. whatever area you have in mind to live....and do research on nursing jobs

I will admit, it doesn't sound as promising for your field of work. (I looked at the thread in the CO forum too. )

You seem to like where you live, and if you like your jobs too... that should be a major consideration. A job you really like or love, with decent co-workers, isn't around every corner.

I guess it would be down to how much you want to live around your family.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,476 times
Consider Grand Junction, CO. There is a VA Hospital there that should provide good employment opportunities. It's a relatively conservative area, thus free from criminal elements and free-loaders. My son owns a great brew pub there - Kannah Creek Brewing Company. There's lots to do in the area; skiing isn't too far away; lots of wine growing and hiking in the hillsl; Moab is just an hour's drive away. I like the place; unlike the rest of CO.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You might want to post that question on the Colorado forum.

I don't know much about Colorada other then I have a daughter that lives in Pueblo. I've visited a few times and there was nothing I like about the place.

Bad gang problems. People were not friendly towards outsiders. The town it self is dirty. Not sure how to describe it but maybe drainage problem? Streets have a lot of dirt, gutters also. Empty lots were grown over with weeds.

I don't know, it just didn't seem like a place that I would want to live.

Where are you now? Maybe folks here that are knowledgable about Colorado can give some suggestions to something similar.
I have to second these sentiments. Although it was a few years ago, I consulted at St Mary Corwin Hospital in Pueblo. At that time, the hospital was struggling financially and had to outsource some services, i.e. the Pharmacy department. It may have improved, but my impression of Pueblo was that it was not a place I would enjoy living. Also, the flight in a small plane over the eastern rockies downdrafts is enough to make you flip your cookies.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 AM

148 posts, read 561,322 times
You have to do what is best for YOUR family, not your extended family. We moved 1800 miles away from one family to another, and now we wished we had the other family near again. We are happy, we didn't move for THAT reason, but if you just up and move to be closer to family are you really gonna be happy? Do what is best for YOUR family, you can always visit!

If you are happy here in MT, then you will probably miss it and not be quite as happy in CO. IDK, but if it were me(it was once) I would be a little selfish and do what is best for ME. Just my 2 cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana