Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,664 times

Advertisements

Here's my background and "moving to mt" experience, hope it helps someone.

I grew up on a 1000 acre ranch in Utah. At 10 year old, we went bankrupt and moved to california for work. At 15, I moved to live with relatives on a sheep ranch in Montana. At 18 I moved back to California to live with my parents when my mom had surgery. I got married. At 25 my wife and I wanted to leave California due to the insane amount of laws, housing prices, and people. We took a trip through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Oregon. (I have spent summers in all of these states).

I love firearms, hunting, camping, fishing. All things considered we decided on Montana.

My job allows me to work remotely, and Gallatin Field appeared to be the best airport in the state, so we moved to a little town outside of Bozeman.

The good:
It is beautiful here, depending where you live.
The lack of laws/restrictions is wonderful (I can actually run a home business without getting 50 permits).
The weather was easy. People kept telling me how harsh the winters are, and that this last winter was the worst it's been in a while. We never had more than 4 feet drifts where I live, and to me that's literally a walk in the park.
Traffic. there's not much unless you commute to town for work, which luckily i don't have to do.

The bad:
People. In the small town we live in people say hi and we know the store clerks by first name. BUT if you go to Bozeman for any reason, it's like entering a police state. People cut you off, give you the stink eye and generally just don't act neighborly. If your car dies leaving you stranded, most people wont stop so don't expect it.

Now to me, a person who will gladly live in an off-grid cabin 80 miles out of town for the rest of my life, I'm perfectly happy here! I live far enough away that I only see the "Natives" (By Native I mean white people who moved here within the last 30 years but consider themselves better than you) when I drive into town to pick up supplies. BUT, if you plan to move here with kids, or if you plan to live in town... don't expect to find the warm, small town atmosphere you might here about. It only exists in certain small towns, and since you're an "out of stater" you wont be included.

Long story short? Montana is a place for the self-dependant. If you love the outdoors and don't give a crap about having friends, you'll enjoy it here. If you're looking for a warm welcome, consider Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I'm sorry that you've encountered such people. It's not the norm.

A few will gleet over this. That's wrong. Think about this. There's 5 or 6 people on this net. There's hundreds of thousands that wish you well.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 47,678 times
Wow, I think somebody needs a hug!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 PM

139 posts, read 472,675 times
I might have to agree with him on the "friendlyness" of the bigger towns. I was born and raised in Montana. I concider Helena and Hamilton to both be my hometowns. However, the only places I feel comfortable around the people are in Hamilton and....this is the shocker....Havre. I don't know if it is the large amount of new "transplant" residents or what, but Missoula, Helena, Butte, just about all of the large cities ooz a certain disdain for most citizens, especially if they don't recognize you....kind of a sixth sense. It's hard to explain, because it is a phenomenon that I haven't had to deal with, here, until recently. The only other place I've experianced that "feeling" was when I was stationed in California.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
I don't think he's too far off in some of what he says. I have noticed that it's hard to become friends with people here. I don't think it's because they don't like us (for the most part) I do think that people who've lived here forever are self sufficent and are used to a social group that pretty much consists of their family and maybe a couple of others that live near them and that's it. I've noticed that most will not make an effort to do things or get together but will do so if you do all the set up and you'll have a good time when all is said and done.
We've just come to accept the way it is and be comfortable with our own company and the company of a few select friends who would do anything for us as we would for them instead of the many "fair weather" friends we've had elsewhere.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
In today's world of violence and scams, I think people are just trying to protect themselves, including emotionally. For the most part, you can't blame them. If a stranger moving into town is friendly, consistently, and understands the barriers they have to help lower with other people, I think it's still possible to become "part of the gang." Granted there are just some stubborn old goats out there that will stay ornery as an old dish rag, but that's their problem.

I have the time and the patience for people to take their time in getting to know me. If they don't, it won't muss my hair, but it won't change how I am. I like people and I'm there when most need me. I'll stick to that.

For me, the hard part would be moving to an area that I'm interested in, like the Glacier Park area, and then try to find a job. This is where the small town nepotism comes in. Chances are greater that a local would get the job before they gave it to an outsider. I'd be perceived as taking a job from a local. Not a good way to ingratiate myself into a small community!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
I live in the same area, and what therifleman says is somewhat true now...

Bozeman was MUCH friendlier 10+ years ago, now its as if a lot of new people have an "I'm better than you" attitude. It's been discovered and unfortunately yuppified. Although I work in Bozeman quite a bit, when I'm not at work I pretty much avoid it.

People in Bozeman seem to have forgotten then golden rule and are starting to live by a step on peoples toes type of attitude.

As for friends, the friends I've come to know since I got out of the service and moved here have become more like extended family. It just takes some time. When I first came out I spent most of my off time hiking, fishing, hunting, training horses (for an outfit that is now a sub-division) and working on my vehicles. After a while I had the best friends a guy could want, a new wife and a son. Funny how that works =-)

My advice to newcomers is don't step on peoples toes, be honest and remember that respect and trust are earned, so don't expect people to bend over backwards for you when you step off the plane.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 04-23-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
In today's world of violence and scams, I think people are just trying to protect themselves, including emotionally. For the most part, you can't blame them. If a stranger moving into town is friendly, consistently, and understands the barriers they have to help lower with other people, I think it's still possible to become "part of the gang." Granted there are just some stubborn old goats out there that will stay ornery as an old dish rag, but that's their problem.

I have the time and the patience for people to take their time in getting to know me. If they don't, it won't muss my hair, but it won't change how I am. I like people and I'm there when most need me. I'll stick to that.

For me, the hard part would be moving to an area that I'm interested in, like the Glacier Park area, and then try to find a job. This is where the small town nepotism comes in. Chances are greater that a local would get the job before they gave it to an outsider. I'd be perceived as taking a job from a local. Not a good way to ingratiate myself into a small community!
Actually it's not the case at all anymore. With the exception of local (this city) government jobs they'll hire anyone who's competent and not really care if they're a newcomer or old timer.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:03 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually it's not the case at all anymore. With the exception of local (this city) government jobs they'll hire anyone who's competent and not really care if they're a newcomer or old timer.
That's really encouraging, jimj, thanks. I'm looking at areas in Wyoming, too, but my heart was always originally set on Glacier Park. I can't imagine that many job openings in the area, though.

Another concern is that I'll need to rent an apartment for a while (up to a year) before I'd be ready to buy. (Lord willing.) And I imagine land prices there are through the roof!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therifleman View Post
Here's my background and "moving to mt" experience, hope it helps someone.

I grew up on a 1000 acre ranch in Utah. At 10 year old, we went bankrupt and moved to california for work. At 15, I moved to live with relatives on a sheep ranch in Montana. At 18 I moved back to California to live with my parents when my mom had surgery. I got married. At 25 my wife and I wanted to leave California due to the insane amount of laws, housing prices, and people. We took a trip through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Oregon. (I have spent summers in all of these states).

I love firearms, hunting, camping, fishing. All things considered we decided on Montana.

My job allows me to work remotely, and Gallatin Field appeared to be the best airport in the state, so we moved to a little town outside of Bozeman.

The good:
It is beautiful here, depending where you live.
The lack of laws/restrictions is wonderful (I can actually run a home business without getting 50 permits).
The weather was easy. People kept telling me how harsh the winters are, and that this last winter was the worst it's been in a while. We never had more than 4 feet drifts where I live, and to me that's literally a walk in the park.
Traffic. there's not much unless you commute to town for work, which luckily i don't have to do.

The bad:
People. In the small town we live in people say hi and we know the store clerks by first name. BUT if you go to Bozeman for any reason, it's like entering a police state. People cut you off, give you the stink eye and generally just don't act neighborly. If your car dies leaving you stranded, most people wont stop so don't expect it.

Now to me, a person who will gladly live in an off-grid cabin 80 miles out of town for the rest of my life, I'm perfectly happy here! I live far enough away that I only see the "Natives" (By Native I mean white people who moved here within the last 30 years but consider themselves better than you) when I drive into town to pick up supplies. BUT, if you plan to move here with kids, or if you plan to live in town... don't expect to find the warm, small town atmosphere you might here about. It only exists in certain small towns, and since you're an "out of stater" you wont be included.

Long story short? Montana is a place for the self-dependant. If you love the outdoors and don't give a crap about having friends, you'll enjoy it here. If you're looking for a warm welcome, consider Utah
Bozeman if where the only police academy is in Montana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana