Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 08:36 AM

27 posts, read 32,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeela View Post
We will be moving from Prescott AZ to Flathead lake. Our friends live in Bigfork. Looking on Zillow, rustic homes, or just homes with some character, are hard to find. Maybe one of the cities around the lake would be better for that? Maybe they are just not for sale. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing about pros and cons, please. I already know its beautiful, expensive and there are cold winters. Anything else?
That you're even considering living in Bigfork or somewhere
on Flathead lake implies that you're very wealthy.
You might as well just build that rustic home you're looking for.
Concerning "cities" on the lake, you've got
Polson, which is a rez dump, and that's it.
Places like Somers and Lakeside aren't "cities".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 6,480 times
Cities around the lake, hahahaha.

1/2 of the "cities" on the lake are on the Indian Reservation. Your "rich" non reservation towns will be Bigfork, Lakeside, and Somers. You will have to drive 30 minutes to get to Walmart, Target and Costco. We severely lack food and shopping amenities that bigger towns have (the way I like it!). Good luck.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:12 PM

114 posts, read 253,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Polson has very high crime rates, especially for property crime.

Lakeside and Bigfork would be the typical choices. Crime is less than national average in both, especially on violent crime.
Thank you for your info.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:18 PM

OK, I guess I should have also said that we love winter. We have lived in several mountainous areas with cold weather. Oh, and BTW, those of you who think they know Prescott...two years ago we had 44" of snow in our mountain house.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:19 PM

Thanks but I had to laugh. We are NOT wealthy. No way will we build a home. There would be a divorce.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:21 PM

OK, I did hear this from our friends but thanks.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:28 PM

Ejisme, OK, I guess I should have also said that we love winter. We have lived in several mountainous areas with cold weather. Oh, and BTW, those of you who think they know Prescott...two years ago we had 44" of snow in our mountain house.

Interesting that you are trying to tell me about Phoenix, ejisme. We actually live 2 hours away and we HATE going there but we have to go once a year for a doctor appt. Have YOU been to Prescott? It is hugely different from Phx. Fyi, our friends have spent TWO winters in Bigfork and love it there.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:34 PM

Shuffler, But hey, if money's no object and you want to overpay for some mediocre property to live the "MT Dream", go for it. Really? You have no idea about what we might purchase or if we're going for that "MT Dream". Be nice.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:55 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I happen to be in Whitefish now for a conference. 92 today, no wind. I’d take 70 and overcast any day. I can’t stand heat. Ugh.

I’m shocked at the explosive growth around here. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been up this way. Holy crap.

I stayed at Grouse Mountain Lodge and played golf at Whitefish GC across the street. It was nice, I liked the whole place/town but I think winter would be tough up there and I'd bet a lot of those businesses downtown close for the winters.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:01 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Like I tell anyone asking these very basic "I've heard this or that about x place, what's it really like" ... you really need to put boots on the ground and spend some time here through different parts of the year to really form a picture of what it's like. That can take well over a year or more.

Plenty of stories about folks who made hasty decisions to move to MT, only to later realize they hated the climate, lack of sun, and here in the Flathead, the rampant tourism and hustle/bustle of our short Summer season.
This is solid advice!

I had read a lot on Montana, watched countless Youtube videos and after a 12 day visit realized Montana was a great place but just not a place I'd want to live.

I was in Austin Texas last weekend, probably an equal amount of research and literally in less than an hour I was ready to leave!

I was never seriously moving to either place but the oppressive Texas heat, the homelessness was an instant no for Texas. MT has the real estate shows (Buying Big Sky), it was the getaway fantasy for people but I'd make it a vacation spot rather than a move there spot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana