Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Everybody I know right now including people who've been here all their lives are saying "god will spring get here already, I'm tired of the snow/overcast and cold!!!"
Be prepared....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,147 times
Try Anaconda, Whitehall/Cardwell area. Nice, helpful people are everywhere in Montana. There are many small rural areas. Education is great here, and the sports, well records speak for themselves. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimnTx View Post
Thank you both. I'd love to live close to a river and yes, I will be looking for work when I get there. Will I have any luck finding a welding job?
Strongly suggest you "do your homework re finding a job", before you move to MT. Bear in mind, there is very little Industry in MT. "Free- Lance welders" usually don't end up making enough money to support a family w/ kids. Most successful welders either work for a steel fab company or have been here a long time as a free-lance welder and have built up a clientel.

Most ranchers and farmers do their own welding when needed. Jobs are tough to come by......again remember very little industry in MT.

Also, as mentioned by others.........Winter Type Weather can get pretty depressing: Short hours of daylight; cloudy,overcast skys (sometimes up 14 days straight); Valley Weather Inversions; fog, frozen fog, black ice, sleet, freezing rain, snow, wind and last (but not least) cold----can get down to 20 to 40 below at least 10 nights/per winter----some weeks in the middle of the winter.....you may not see a HIGH temp at noon even slightly above zero. .
The above conditions can exist up to 60% of the time from OCT through MARCH. Please understand.....I'm not trying to "scare you off" from Montana, but coming from Texas, the over-all change in way of life will be quite great.

You also should figure in the cost of winter cloths, boots ,hats, gloves etc for you and your entire family. And check on the cost of Montana License Plate costs annually.......quite high compared to Texas.

I hope my thoughts will be of some help. I've lived here 30 yrs.........my opinions are not speculations.........do your research.

Edit: As of Jan 7th the Flathead (Kalispell) Job Service office had (40) job openings listed and UP TO 600 people per day coming in looking for work (jobs). Also Sanders County, MT has the highest unemployment rate in the whole state. Sorry, but these are the facts....public information available on the net.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 02-25-2009 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 35,276 times
Quote:
We are looking for small, quaint, rural living, with friendly people, lots of snow, no heat, and beautiful scenery.
I love the Cooke city area, it's on the Wy/Mt border by Yellowstone park.
It has lots of snow,(9-10 months out of the year) you can ride your snowmobile in town in the winter and your ATV in the couple of months in summer. There are 90 perm. residents and swells to 300 in the summer. The only school is a one room school house (k-8). No cell service, slow internet, and deer walking through town. I love it there. You can look them up at www.cookecitychamber.org or give the camber a call at (406) 838-2495 (the lady is by the phone in the afternoon M-F) Good luck in your search!

Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 37,016 times
How bout this, stay in Texas. There is a lot of crime, drug use, poverty, etc... in Montana. It's not a paradise it's hard. There is a reason this was one of the last states to reach statehood and why there was homesteding going on into the twenties. Montana is going to reach a breaking point with the "idealist" out of stater's like yourself moving in to get their slice of heaven without realizing the cost. By the way, did you read about the lack of Jobs? It's really bad in eastern Montana too, three murders in four years in my area. As far as hot weather is concerned, most of the eastern part of the state won't blink at 100 and in many areas 110 and change is common. Stay in Texas and fix your state. I was there in the Air Force for a few years and it was nice, but Montana is my home. I'm a cop now, I know cops all over the state. This isn't heaven.

Last edited by chrismford; 03-07-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 55,818 times
My husband and I and our two children moved here in 1999. At first when I came here in May of 1999 I thought, how ugly, thankfully many folks do get a bad impression. That is a good thing. We built our home and moved into it in December 1999. We love our lot, hate our house and still have a bunch of equity. I live in Bozeman. I LOVE it here and I don't ski, yet. Schools suck everywhere really, but there are hot spots of good schools in every town, depends upon your profession. I don't know where there is a Mayberry type of town. This town has at least doubled in size since we moved here. My kids did settle, but one of them is back in Oregon, he is older now. My daughter swears she will never leave here. She says she is a native now because she doesn't like other states. The cost of living is high here and since this is a college town we have more traffic than the small towns, but Montana is a great state. If I had to choose again, I would choose Bozeman and definately the Eastern side of the continental divide.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
I dunno where there's a Mayberry, but this morning I discovered there's a Mayberry Road that goes about 20 miles west from Circle. Maybe Mayberry is at the end of that road?? Tho all I saw was the world's largest center-pivot irrigation patch.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 88,894 times
Smile Columbia Falls!

Quote:
hmm...Can you give me any other prospects?
We moved to Columbia Falls, MT from Texas. But we're back here now. But I would've stayed if it was my choice. But my Dad moved. He Loved it also though. I also like it. best town I've ever lived in. I certainly made the best friends I've ever made there. Montana was the best experience I ever had. The Fleathead Valley around Columbia Falls and Kalispell would be the best place to visit before considering moving. Yes it may be a bit more populated then most of Montana, but there are no towns over 20,000 in the county Columbia Falls only had 5,000. It's a lot more rural than the Houston Area that's for sure. So I suggest visiting Kalispell and if you go there to the flathead valley you need to go to Glacier National Park which is near Hungry Horse. Hope I helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana